Author Topic: So how good can Smart be?  (Read 3115 times)

So how good can Smart be?
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:24:19 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Karma wise this was the smart decision.  He is now my new basketball hero.  Either he or KO.  I think Smart is an absolute leader and underrated even with the hype surrounding him.   I felt the same way about Rondo though.  Rondo was underappreciated imo.  We are about to find out how much of a difference Smart can make though. We never will with a fully focused Rondo. I don't think he was ever fully on board with this team.  Smart doesn't have that excuse. This is Smart's team now imo.

Re: So how good can Smart be?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I 'd settle for healthy and playing say 20 games in a row at this point.  At some times, we are going to miss Rondo with Smart playing.   Rondo is the better passer clearly.  Shooting wise it is pretty even both are subpar to poor shooters.   I think Smart has an edge in Defense and Rondo was the superior rebounder.    Smart seems to add team toughness with his leadership but Rondo playing with the dislocated elbow was the second toughest things I ever seen in a Celtics Uniform probably slightly behind Bird playing with a fractured eye orbital.  So edge to Rondo in toughness.

Stevens wants motion not dribbling around and looking for an assist.   Time will tell if it helps the team.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:28:32 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I am irrationally high on Smart. This guy is high-floor, high-ceiling.

He has one NBA skill that is already unquestionably elite, so he will at least be a capable starter.

But he also has an incredible physical advantage at his position, so if he improves on his weaknesses, there is star potential there.

The one thing that makes me believe it is his mentality. I don't think I've ever seen a first-year player who has the maturity, leadership, and competitiveness that Smart has for as long as I've been supporting the Celtics. he is a player with a truly unique mindset. That doesn't guarantee success, but it's definitely a point in his favor.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:13 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2

He has one NBA skill that is already unquestionably elite, so he will at least be a capable starter.

But he also has an incredible physical advantage at his position, so if he improves on his weaknesses, there is star potential there.

The one thing that makes me believe it is his mentality. I don't think I've ever seen a first-year player who has the maturity, leadership, and competitiveness that Smart has for as long as I've been supporting the Celtics. he is a player with a truly unique mindset. That doesn't guarantee success, but it's definitely a point in his favor.

He has the potential but a long way to go to realize it. I would like to see him get to the rack like he used to do in college. I'm not confident that he is ever going to be a knockdown shooter.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20

I like that mindset too and yours.   He's been compared to bill russell at pg. Bill Russell though?  Is that irrational?

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 11:35:43 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

He has the potential but a long way to go to realize it. I would like to see him get to the rack like he used to do in college. I'm not confident that he is ever going to be a knockdown shooter.

I think we're doing the same thing with him that we were doing with Sullinger. He's going to need to improve his shooting to be a star, so might as well let him try while we're tanking.

It worked for Sullinger (although now he has to figure out when to hang around the perimeter and when to go under the basket. That will come with experience), so maybe it will work for Smart as well.

I think he doesn't drive as much now because he doesn't have the ball in his hands as much. We've rarely given him playmaking duties and most of his minutes have been off-ball. That may change if he's our starting PG.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:38:46 PM »

Offline MarcusStart

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Smart's competitor's mentality is a good sign that he has the will to become a better player. I see his floor being Gerald Wallace( when he started to decline) and his ceiling being a 6'4 Paul George.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Karma wise this was the smart decision.  He is now my new basketball hero.  Either he or KO.  I think Smart is an absolute leader and underrated even with the hype surrounding him.   I felt the same way about Rondo though.  Rondo was underappreciated imo.  We are about to find out how much of a difference Smart can make though. We never will with a fully focused Rondo. I don't think he was ever fully on board with this team.  Smart doesn't have that excuse. This is Smart's team now imo.

Or, you know, Ainge could have let Bradley walk and had a starting backcourt of Rondo and Smart, but nooooo...  It doesn't even matter how good he can be right now - the guy has seemingly played about 15 minutes in the NBA and now he's hurt.  Again; and to think that people were concerned about Rondo being injury prone.  Sorry, I'm going to be fuming over this for a long time.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 11:41:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I like that mindset too and yours.   He's been compared to bill russell at pg. Bill Russell though?  Is that irrational?

Where was this comparison made, and by whom - Tommy, ;p;? ;D

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 11:41:24 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2

I think we're doing the same thing with him that we were doing with Sullinger. He's going to need to improve his shooting to be a star, so might as well let him try while we're tanking.

It worked for Sullinger (although now he has to figure out when to hang around the perimeter and when to go under the basket. That will come with experience), so maybe it will work for Smart as well.

I think he doesn't drive as much now because he doesn't have the ball in his hands as much. We've rarely given him playmaking duties and most of his minutes have been off-ball. That may change if he's our starting PG.

I hope Stevens turns him loose, and we get to find out if he can be our franchise player. As you said, there is no harm in letting him play through mistakes. My only concern is that he falls in love with the jumpshot, like Sullinger tends to do, and neglects to drive to the hoop. I don't see Smart as a freak athlete, but he is still very athletic and should be able to regularly get to the rim/line

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Smart's competitor's mentality is a good sign that he has the will to become a better player. I see his floor being Gerald Wallace( when he started to decline) and his ceiling being a 6'4 Paul George.

Paul George was an excellent shooter in college.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

I hope Stevens turns him loose, and we get to find out if he can be our franchise player. As you said, there is no harm in letting him play through mistakes. My only concern is that he falls in love with the jumpshot, like Sullinger tends to do, and neglects to drive to the hoop. I don't see Smart as a freak athlete, but he is still very athletic and should be able to regularly get to the rim/line

That's definitely a concern, especially given that his shot selection is already spotty. Then again, I think we need to give him ball-handling duties to really find out if he's "falling in love with his jump shot" or not. He's been taking those shots until now in part because he's getting the ball in a lot of catch-and-shoot situations.

I also disagree that he's not a freak athlete. His size, strength, and length are all ridiculous for a PG. (which is what increases his value as a defender - he could feasibly guard three positions)

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Or, you know, Ainge could have let Bradley walk and had a starting backcourt of Rondo and Smart, but nooooo...  It doesn't even matter how good he can be right now - the guy has seemingly played about 15 minutes in the NBA and now he's hurt.  Again; and to think that people were concerned about Rondo being injury prone.  Sorry, I'm going to be fuming over this for a long time.

Yeah, me, too - if ever there was a time to cash in this was it. We have so many picks and young players, there are a number of players we could have gone after to improve our roster - even if it meant overpaying.

Now all we have is a protected first from what is now possibly the most well-rounded team in the NBA - awesome!

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I 'd settle for healthy and playing say 20 games in a row at this point.  At some times, we are going to miss Rondo with Smart playing.   Rondo is the better passer clearly.  Shooting wise it is pretty even both are subpar to poor shooters.   I think Smart has an edge in Defense and Rondo was the superior rebounder.    Smart seems to add team toughness with his leadership but Rondo playing with the dislocated elbow was the second toughest things I ever seen in a Celtics Uniform probably slightly behind Bird playing with a fractured eye orbital.  So edge to Rondo in toughness.

Stevens wants motion not dribbling around and looking for an assist.   Time will tell if it helps the team.

They have different types of toughness to them. I think Smart is much more mentally tough, where Rondo was mentally weak, i.e. free throw woes. But Rondo hasn't been playing tough since he came back from his injury.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »

Offline MarcusStart

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18

Paul George was an excellent shooter in college.

True. Paul George might not be the best comparison but I was mainly thinking about the fact that George steadily got better each year.