Author Topic: Timberwolves (5-19) at Celtics (9-14) Game #24 12/19/14  (Read 70370 times)

Timberwolves (5-19) at Celtics (9-14) Game #24 12/19/14
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:08:59 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Minnesota Timberwolves (5-19) at Boston Celtics (9-14)
Friday, December 19, 2014
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #24, Home Game #15
TV:  CSNNE, FSNorth, NBA-LP 754 (DTV), 754 (xfinity)
Radio: WZLX, WCCO-AM
TD Garden

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
Evan Turner...Avery Bradley...Jeff Green...Jared Sullinger...Tyler Zeller

Celtics Reserves
Evan Turner
Brandon Bass
Tyler Zeller
Gerald Wallace
Jae Crowder
Brandan Wright
Jameer Nelson

Injuries
Marcus Thornton (calf) out
Marcus Smart (Achilles) -questionable
James Young (shoulder)  out

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
Zach Lavine...Shabazz Muhammad...Andrew Wiggins... Thaddeus Young...Gorgui Dieng

Timberwolves Reserves
Shabazz Muhammad
Anthony Bennett
Mo Williams
Jeff Adrien
Robbie Hummel
Glenn Robinson
Chase Budinger

Injuries
Kevin Martin (wrist) out
Nikola Pekovic  (ankle)  out
Ricky Rubio  (ankle)  out
Ronny Turiaf  (hip)  out

Game Notes
Disclaimer:  Just as I was getting ready to make the game thread, I learned that the Celtics had traded Rondo and it more or less took the wind out of my sails.  I really didn't feel like making a game thread or much else.  I don't deal well with change.  I came up as a Celtics fan when players stayed their whole careers in Boston and I loved it.  I hate this new NBA where you get to love a player and he's traded.   

All that being said,  as I make the thread, I'm not sure who will start at point guard.  I just know Rondo won't and that makes me sad.  I'm not sure if the new players will be here and able to play or not.  So, the starters and roster above is just a guess.   

To make things more interesting tonight, the Timberwolves have agreed to a trade that will send their starting 2 guard to the Rockets for Troy Daniels.   I'm going to guess that Shabazz Muhammad will replace Brewer in the starting lineup, but as with everything else, that's just a guess. 

This will be the only visit to the Garden by the Wolves this season.  They will meet again in Minnesota on January 28.  The Wolves have been struggling, winning just 1 of their last 10 games.  The Celtics are 5-5 in their last 10.  The Celtics are 6-8 at home while the Wolves are just 2-9 on the road.  Even though this should be a win for the Celtics, with the loss of Rondo and being short handed,  it's going to be a tough game. 

Key Matchups
vs
Jeff Green vs Andrew Wiggins
Assuming that Jeff Green is still a Celtic by game time,  he will be matched up with the number one pick in this year's draft.    Wiggins is averaging 12.6 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 1.04 steals.  He is shooting just 39.6% from the field.  This would be a good time for Jeff to be aggressive and have a big game.

vs  PF
Jared Sullinger vs Thaddeus Young
Sully played well against the Magic after suffering through an offensive slump in previous games.  Young leads the Wolves in scoring with 14.5 points along with 4.6 rebounds and 1.6 steals.  It would be good to see Sully continue to play well in this game and come up with a big game.

Keys to the Game

Defense - The Celtics must defend. The offense feeds off of the defense and if the Celtics can't get stops they struggle on the other end as well.  Their defense has improved in the past two games and hopefully it continues to improve in this game.  Defense wins games. 

Rebound - The Celtics must get rebounds to prevent second chance points and fast breaks. Rebounding takes effort and desire and the Celtics have got to show both and crash the boards as a team.  Rondo was one of the teams better rebounders and other players have to step up to fill in that void. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics have to be aggressive in going after loose balls and rebounds and in taking the ball to the basket. They also have to be aggressive on defense. When they are aggressive in going to the hoop good things happen. The Celtics have to play like they are the team that wants it more.

Set the Pace-
The Celtics must run from the beginning of the game until the final buzzer. Running will allow them to get easy baskets as they get down the court before the defenses set up.  Without Rondo to find the open man, this will be even more important. 

X-Factors
Trade Effects
The trade will be a big x-factor.  Will the new players be ready to play?  And, even if they are able to play, how much can they help without knowing any of the plays?   Will trading Rondo affect the chemistry on the team?  When Perk was traded, the team was on top of the standings and proceeded to fall apart after the trade.  Will the Celtics fall apart and go into the tank now?  Or, will they rally around the remaining players and play harder and play well?  So many questions that need answers. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:15:27 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Timberwolves (5-19) at Celtics (9-14) Game #24 12/19/14
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:12:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
TP for powering through this, but I honestly don't even want to think about the game yet.  :(

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:14:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully should win this matchup as long as he takes him inside, if he goes into Korver Mode, then his edge gets smalller against Young.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:06 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks jpotter33 - I'm definitely not feeling it for this game either.  I still love my Celtics though.  TP for being the first to post in the game thread. 

Go Celtics!! 

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:50:49 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I on the other hand could use the distraction of a basketball team.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 12:57:16 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Really hope Smart is available. Very impatient to start the new era for better or worse.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Really hope Smart is available. Very impatient to start the new era for better or worse.

same here

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 01:14:47 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
Thanks for the game thread and being so dependable.  Always good to read your thoughts to get excited for the next game.  TP.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 01:16:24 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
This reminds me that the celtics are always more than a single player.  Great to have the game thread. Thanks for this during a sad time. Tp.

And as always.... Gooooooo celtics! Let's win this one!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:27:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
T'Wolves are pathetic without Ricky Rubio. This should be a comfortable win.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 01:30:03 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
This reminds me that the celtics are always more than a single player.  Great to have the game thread. Thanks for this during a sad time. Tp.

Very true. We are a resilient bunch with a common bond.

TP to all you guys.

Especially you FLCeltsFan....way to persevere.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 01:37:35 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

Very true. We are a resilient bunch with a common bond.

TP to all you guys.

Especially you FLCeltsFan....way to persevere.

right back at cha

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 01:45:29 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Bradley will have to defend the 2-guard instead of the primary ballhandler without Rondo. Brewer and Wiggins are going to take it to us.

This is a game Sully and Olynyk have to win for us. They're not even close to being ready, if ever, for that.

edit: TP FLC.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Sully should win this matchup as long as he takes him inside, if he goes into Korver Mode, then his edge gets smalller against Young.
tp, made me laugh.

i can't wait for smart to get healthy
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
TP FL nice work as always. Let's go Celtics!!!