Author Topic: Get off the ledge.  (Read 1092 times)

Get off the ledge.
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:05 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
This was an adequate deal for Rondo. In fact in this market which is flooded with good point guards it was very good. There were barely any teams that had anything to give for Rondo that needed him. That is just the sad truth.
Additionally, Rondo has been a shell of himself and frankly Celtics fans have overrated him for years. He can not score, is unplayable in the 4th quarter and is not going to be getting any better. He is most likely not even a top 10 point guard right now. Seriously, look around and you can find ten guys at the position that a fair minded person would take over Rondo.
We received some good assets for him. Namely Wright and more importantly structuring the deal to get a massive 12 million TPE. Wright is a solid player who has skills but more importantly can be off the books after the season if we so choose. The 12.9 million TPE can allow us to go get nearly any player that could help us but is unwanted elsewhere. Lets say New Orleans can not keep Tyreke Evans Around because they want to keep Asik and of course The Brow is going to get a max deal. Boom, we swoop in with our TPE and our boatload of picks and there you go. Or Milwaukee decides that Sanders just will not work in their plans. Same situation. Same goes for McGee in Denver or Pekovic in Minnesota. The 12.9 Mill TPE with all of our picks is huge. Danny was brilliant structuring the deal to use his other TPE's on the players then technically sending Rondo for the picks. Genius. Trust me, this is going to be the part of the trade people talk about down the road when we score a player for next to nothing.
Finally, by every stat one can look up, we were actually better while Rondo was on the bench. The fact that he had been on the pine for nearly every 4th quarter over the past couple of weeks was huge. That was the writing on the wall.
Folks, I bet you we do not get any worse. Seriously. I will be more concerned that we have totally tanked when they ship Bass and Green out. In a few weeks we will be loving Smart at the point. Just like when Rondo was a rookie.

Re: Get off the ledge.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:43:56 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
This was an adequate deal for Rondo. In fact in this market which is flooded with good point guards it was very good. There were barely any teams that had anything to give for Rondo that needed him. That is just the sad truth.
Additionally, Rondo has been a shell of himself and frankly Celtics fans have overrated him for years. He can not score, is unplayable in the 4th quarter and is not going to be getting any better. He is most likely not even a top 10 point guard right now. Seriously, look around and you can find ten guys at the position that a fair minded person would take over Rondo.
We received some good assets for him. Namely Wright and more importantly structuring the deal to get a massive 12 million TPE. Wright is a solid player who has skills but more importantly can be off the books after the season if we so choose. The 12.9 million TPE can allow us to go get nearly any player that could help us but is unwanted elsewhere. Lets say New Orleans can not keep Tyreke Evans Around because they want to keep Asik and of course The Brow is going to get a max deal. Boom, we swoop in with our TPE and our boatload of picks and there you go. Or Milwaukee decides that Sanders just will not work in their plans. Same situation. Same goes for McGee in Denver or Pekovic in Minnesota. The 12.9 Mill TPE with all of our picks is huge. Danny was brilliant structuring the deal to use his other TPE's on the players then technically sending Rondo for the picks. Genius. Trust me, this is going to be the part of the trade people talk about down the road when we score a player for next to nothing.
Finally, by every stat one can look up, we were actually better while Rondo was on the bench. The fact that he had been on the pine for nearly every 4th quarter over the past couple of weeks was huge. That was the writing on the wall.
Folks, I bet you we do not get any worse. Seriously. I will be more concerned that we have totally tanked when they ship Bass and Green out. In a few weeks we will be loving Smart at the point. Just like when Rondo was a rookie.

Yes, good point that there is a glut of PG's available.  Heck, the Suns have three starting PG's and may wish to trade two of them...

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Some minor disagreements here and there but overall I completely agree. Get off the ledge. We have one of the brightest futures in the game.

TP.

PS. I expect the TPE to be used much like our last one of similar size was: absorb a bad deal, get young players/picks.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am glad RR did not go to LA, that would have really stunk!

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
You can't talk some of these guys off the ledge.

1. They think Rondo is a top player in this league when in reality he's not been very good as of late. At least he's not been very good with this team. But nope, they think he's right up there with CP3 as a PG and the Celtics should be able to get a King's Ransom for him.

2. Tendency to downplay (now all future picks from other teams are #28, #29 or #30 and the Celtics never can win the lottery) or entirely overlook ($13m TPE) assets in bemoaning the lack of a future.

3. Tendency to overlook or discount the words of the GM and players themselves about the cost to resign them.

4. Tendency to downplay our current roster and pass judgement on guys who haven't even really seen the court yet. I love after 164 minutes of professional basketball people are ready to pass judgement on Marcus Smart.

I find it quite humorous that the same people who have been demanding that Danny get fired for not committing to the tank are now demanding he get fired for committing to the tank.

I've said all year that I expected Rondo to be traded because he and this club just don't fit well together any more. It's nothing against Rondo, it's just where the club is (and the talent that's on it) vs his age and skill set. I also think that we will likely see Jeff Green and Brandon Bass moved in the next two months as well for other assets. We'll find out how lucky Danny is, but he is determined to have as many chances as possible to get lucky.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
You can't talk some of these guys off the ledge.

1. They think Rondo is a top player in this league when in reality he's not been very good as of late. At least he's not been very good with this team. But nope, they think he's right up there with CP3 as a PG and the Celtics should be able to get a King's Ransom for him.

2. Tendency to downplay (now all future picks from other teams are #28, #29 or #30 and the Celtics never can win the lottery) or entirely overlook ($13m TPE) assets in bemoaning the lack of a future.

3. Tendency to overlook or discount the words of the GM and players themselves about the cost to resign them.

4. Tendency to downplay our current roster and pass judgement on guys who haven't even really seen the court yet. I love after 164 minutes of professional basketball people are ready to pass judgement on Marcus Smart.

I find it quite humorous that the same people who have been demanding that Danny get fired for not committing to the tank are now demanding he get fired for committing to the tank.

I've said all year that I expected Rondo to be traded because he and this club just don't fit well together any more. It's nothing against Rondo, it's just where the club is (and the talent that's on it) vs his age and skill set. I also think that we will likely see Jeff Green and Brandon Bass moved in the next two months as well for other assets. We'll find out how lucky Danny is, but he is determined to have as many chances as possible to get lucky.

I find myself in a 3rd camp.

I see Rondo as a decent but not great player, and I don't really mind seeing him traded. I just don't see a star on the roster, and we are going to need at least two to get good again. Smart has shown flashes, but he still has a long way to go. Sully and Olynyk have some potential, but I doubt they will ever be all-stars

Late 1sts aren't that value, so I'm not excited about the LAC, Dallas and Cleveland picks. Obviously, the BKN picks have great potential.

Danny better trade Green, Bass, Thornton and any other veteran that he gets an offer for.