Author Topic: Ainge did Rondo a favor  (Read 677 times)

Ainge did Rondo a favor
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
It may or may not have been one of the reasons for the trade, but in the end Ainge did the best thing for Rondo by sending him to Dallas. It has been painfully clear that Rondo is not nearly as effective a player without KG, Pierce, and Allen. Looking at the Mavs roster, that is the closest thing Rondo could hope for to recreating the benefits he had of the past Celtics teams. Pairing him with shooters and scorers like Dirk, Monta Ellis, and Parsons, and the defensive anchor of Chandler is going to allow Rondo to use his strengths again on the floor as the defense will be focused on the shooters in that lineup and create a lot of space and options for Rondo to play with, and a defensive anchor in the middle to clean up when Rondo gambles on defense. I think Rondo and the Mavs are going to take each other to another level. On top of that, all signs point to Cuban giving Rondo a max deal, which Ainge likely would not.

I wonder how much of a role Rondo and his agent had in this move, as I don't see a reason why the Celtics had to make this deal now and not wait until the deadline to see if they could get better offers. It's possible Rondo has been asking for this for a while now and Ainge and Rondo agreed to keep it all under wraps for the benefit of both sides.

Re: Ainge did Rondo a favor
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yes, he did. Rondo is very fortunate to end up on a such a wonderful team. Not just a highly talented team but a terrific organization committed to winning basketball. About as good of a situation as Rondo could hope for in a trade destination.

It could have been a lot worse.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rondo went to a good team. Really the Nets looked good on paper too when he sent KG and PP there but one never knows.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:17:39 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
And shortchanged the Celtics in the process?

Do I applaud him for this?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
You're right - it's been painfully obvious to watch a guy lead the league in apg with a crap roster (sarcasm). ::)  Ainge didn't even send him to the right team, which was Indiana.  Ugh.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:14 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Great owner, great coach, great organization, and hopefully Rondo finishes this season with his second championship ring. What a tremendous upgrade over Jameer Nelson. Going to be fun watching the Mavs.