Author Topic: Ainge screwed up last year  (Read 2011 times)

Ainge screwed up last year
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
We did a partial tank and ended up 6th. We should have traded Bass and Green to better our odds of ending up with one of the three true potential franchise players (Wiggins, Parker and Embiid).

Now we are just mired in mediocrity.

Re: Ainge screwed up last year
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We did a partial tank and ended up 6th. We should have traded Bass and Green to better our odds of ending up with one of the three true potential franchise players (Wiggins, Parker and Embiid).

Trading Bass and Green likely wouldn't have made us worse than Philly or Milwaukee, and obviously Cleveland finished with a better record than us.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
True, but we would have been 3rd worst and improved our lotto odds. Obviously, Cleveland showed us that nothing is guaranteed, but we could have tanked to at least get the 4th pick. Maybe then it would have been easier to get into the top three or make a trade for a star.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

No, we ended up 5th (lost the coin toss for 4th). We dropped to 6th in the lottery.

At best (worst?), the Celtics could have been the 3rd worst team in the league last year. They weren't out-tanking Philly or Milwaukee. So where did the 3rd place team draft? 4th. So even if the Celtics should have tanked last year, they still wouldn't have gotten one of those 3. And I don't think anyone was going to be willing to trade down.

Actually, this isn't mediocrity. The Celtics are far worse than mediocre. Nor are they mired in it. Teams that are mired in it have no hope for the future. With at least SIX 1st round picks in the next two years, I think there's some hope on the horizon.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:48 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett

No, we ended up 5th (lost the coin toss for 4th). We dropped to 6th in the lottery.

At best (worst?), the Celtics could have been the 3rd worst team in the league last year. They weren't out-tanking Philly or Milwaukee. So where did the 3rd place team draft? 4th. So even if the Celtics should have tanked last year, they still wouldn't have gotten one of those 3. And I don't think anyone was going to be willing to trade down.

Actually, this isn't mediocrity. The Celtics are far worse than mediocre. Nor are they mired in it. Teams that are mired in it have no hope for the future. With at least SIX 1st round picks in the next two years, I think there's some hope on the horizon.

Its pretty obvious that I was saying that they drafted 6th not that they had the 6th worst record. Every NBA fan knows that Cleveland jumped us.

The 3rd worst team would have had better odds, so that still would have been the right move. Also, the 4th pick would have been more valuable as a trade chip and would've given us more options.

We are in the 2nd year of a rebuild and only have one potential star on the roster in Smart, and he hasn't even shown much so far. Right now, we are most likely going to be picking in the 6-10 range. Even if we hit on this lottery pick, it will still be years before we have the stars to actually make a playoff run.

Clippers 2015- late 1st and not that valuable
Cleveland 2016- same
Dallas 2016- same
So we have our 15,16 and BKN's 16. I guess we are really banking on the Nets getting us a high lotto pick. Sorry, but I just dont see much to be excited about right now.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
First the stupid coach ices the club neatly every game.

And now DA drops the atomic bomb on the team and ices the whole deal......trading the only star player probably to wear a celtics jersey in the next 10 or 20 years

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
We were of two minds last year because we thought we could tank good enough for a top pick while also keeping the fireworks option open for the summer.

We don't have that problem anymore. We're fully committed to the long rebuild.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I doubt it will be a partial tank with Nelson at the PG.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I doubt it will be a partial tank with Nelson at the PG.

Ah the joy of seeing Nelson as our point guard.  I need more vodka in the house...

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 10:37:01 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Considering Green's value last year compared to this year, I would say Ainge was smart in waiting. While I think Bass is underrated, I don't think he would have fetched much last year either with two years, 14 million left on his deal. Neither would dealing Bass have made a huge difference in the win total.

It would have been difficult to outtank some of the worst teams like Philly and Milwaukee anyway and the horrible East boosted the C's record to be equal to Utah's. Not much you can do about that.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

Trading Bass and Green likely wouldn't have made us worse than Philly or Milwaukee, and obviously Cleveland finished with a better record than us.
I hate Cleveland.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:44:52 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Quote from: truth4lyfe
Its pretty obvious that I was saying that they drafted 6th not that they had the 6th worst record. Every NBA fan knows that Cleveland jumped us.

The 3rd worst team would have had better odds, so that still would have been the right move. Also, the 4th pick would have been more valuable as a trade chip and would've given us more options.

Yet your own statement is defeated by the facts. Even if Danny tried tanking last year (and you have to assume the ping pong balls go the same way) it still doesn't net you one of the 3 guys you're wishing they drafted! For all you know, that 3rd place finish STILL ends up with the Celtics picking 6th. In short, how can you say he screwed up when the scenario you paint doesn't net you with the results you're after?

We are in the 2nd year of a rebuild and only have one potential star on the roster in Smart, and he hasn't even shown much so far. Right now, we are most likely going to be picking in the 6-10 range. Even if we hit on this lottery pick, it will still be years before we have the stars to actually make a playoff run.

Cleveland 2016- same
Dallas 2016- same

So we have our 15,16 and BKN's 16. I guess we are really banking on the Nets getting us a high lotto pick. Sorry, but I just dont see much to be excited about right now.

Well, it's not exciting when your favorite team is losing games. But ask a bunch of other teams how it feels to be truly mired in mediocrity and not really have any way out of it.

I don't think there's a star on this roster (before or after the Rondo trade). I don't think Smart will be a star. I think he'll be solid. I think there's a bunch of solid young talent on this team.

As for the future assets, there's a lottery pick this year. That's a given. It maybe 6-10, it may be top 5 after this trade (and I'm expecting trades for Bass and Jeff Green too). It may be #1. There's the Clippers pick in the high 20s and the handful of 2s.

There's a host of picks next year, with 2 likely being lottery picks (NJ and BOS) while the Dallas pick may be in the teens or 20s (I don't think Dallas will be able to keep up in the West). The Cleveland pick is high 20s.

There's also a massively valuable (this is underrated) $13m trade exception that will be like gold to trading partners. There's also an abundance of (this is overrated) cap space for potential FAs.

Do we have great cards at the table? Nope. But we do have a lot of shots at the jackpot and enough cards to play even if we don't hit that jackpot.

I'm expecting 2-3 more deals before the deadline by the Celtics. I'm not sure we can evaluate any of them until the dust settles.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:54:56 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett

Yet your own statement is defeated by the facts. Even if Danny tried tanking last year (and you have to assume the ping pong balls go the same way) it still doesn't net you one of the 3 guys you're wishing they drafted! For all you know, that 3rd place finish STILL ends up with the Celtics picking 6th. In short, how can you say he screwed up when the scenario you paint doesn't net you with the results you're after?

Cleveland 2016- same
Dallas 2016- same

Well, it's not exciting when your favorite team is losing games. But ask a bunch of other teams how it feels to be truly mired in mediocrity and not really have any way out of it.

I don't think there's a star on this roster (before or after the Rondo trade). I don't think Smart will be a star. I think he'll be solid. I think there's a bunch of solid young talent on this team.

As for the future assets, there's a lottery pick this year. That's a given. It maybe 6-10, it may be top 5 after this trade (and I'm expecting trades for Bass and Jeff Green too). It may be #1. There's the Clippers pick in the high 20s and the handful of 2s.

There's a host of picks next year, with 2 likely being lottery picks (NJ and BOS) while the Dallas pick may be in the teens or 20s (I don't think Dallas will be able to keep up in the West). The Cleveland pick is high 20s.

There's also a massively valuable (this is underrated) $13m trade exception that will be like gold to trading partners. There's also an abundance of (this is overrated) cap space for potential FAs.

Do we have great cards at the table? Nope. But we do have a lot of shots at the jackpot and enough cards to play even if we don't hit that jackpot.

I'm expecting 2-3 more deals before the deadline by the Celtics. I'm not sure we can evaluate any of them until the dust settles.

I agree with you here. We have a lot of chips and gotta hope that one of them hits.

In my scenario, we would have picked 4th, assuming everything else stays the same. We still wouldn't have gotten one of the big three, but i would take gordon over smart. And it would've been easier to move up from 4th to the top 3.

I just want us to choose a direction. Either try for the playoffs or trade the vets and get to the bottom. There is no need for Bass, Green and Thornton to be playing over any of the young guys.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ainge should have traded Rondo 18 months ago if he wasn't going to build around Rondo.

Rondo is barely back from injury. Talk about giving up on a plan before it ever really started. Awful decision making process here. It should take a lot more than 6 weeks of play to change a GMs mind from previous analysis / decision.