Author Topic: Can we (Ainge) get the Georgetown 3 together? Green/Monroe/Hibbert  (Read 2628 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The indomitable spirit of Celtic fans. I am proud to be one with all you folk. Despite the kick in the gut that many of us got today, it heartens me that there is not just moaning and groaning on this board and that threads have been started on our (the Cs) future. Here's  one that I have dreamt about for a while.

If Ainge could pull this off, this would be close to the best front court in basketball.

To entice Bird to give up Hibbert (if we could, I know big if) we would have to start with Marcus Smart. We'd also have to add one of KO/Sully and probably one of Wright/Zellinger plus a pick or two and filler. I'd like to include Bradley in lieu of one of the above. That, added to George next year, fills a lot of holes for Bird.

If somehow (whether by the above or some other package) we get Hibbert, we sign Monroe as a FA with his Georgetown brothers as enticement. Hibbert, Green and Monroe would be in heaven and we would have one of the strongest big-men corps in the league for 6-7 years.

Ainge fills in the team as we go along, but this team competes next year and for awhile.

Re: Can we (Ainge) get the Georgetown 3 together? Green/Monroe/Hibbert
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it is more likely we trade Green than get the Georgetown three.   Hasn't Green been mentioned in recent talks as well?

Bird is very competitive, he will not give us anything.

I think offensively that would be a sick lineup though.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I think it is more likely we trade Green than get the Georgetown three.   Hasn't Green been mentioned in recent talks as well?

Bird is very competitive, he will not give us anything.

I think offensively that would be a sick lineup though.

I know it's a longshot, but I can't help but think that Ainge has other deals for the Three Stooges we just acquired, since the trade was done today so we could trade them before the deadline, if need be.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We can only hope more deals are coming as part of an Ainge master plan but other GMs are cautious around Danny.  Mayhap this throws them off guard.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
We can only hope more deals are coming as part of an Ainge master plan but other GMs are cautious around Danny.  Mayhap this throws them off guard.

Ainge is a chessmaster. He's looking 4 moves ahead. He's already got tentative plans in place for all three of these guys.

They may not get Hibbert here (I'm still obviously hoping that they do) but IF Green stays, I think they get Monroe either directly as a FA or in a sign and trade. That Hoya connection is strong, and you can bet that they've (Green and Monroe) talked about it.

http://nesn.com/2014/12/pistons-greg-monroe-ill-weigh-my-options-on-signing-with-celtics/

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 08:46:05 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Ainge is a chessmaster. He's looking 4 moves ahead. He's already got tentative plans in place for all three of these guys.

They may not get Hibbert here (I'm still obviously hoping that they do) but IF Green stays, I think they get Monroe either directly as a FA or in a sign and trade. That Hoya connection is strong, and you can bet that they've (Green and Monroe) talked about it.

http://nesn.com/2014/12/pistons-greg-monroe-ill-weigh-my-options-on-signing-with-celtics/

I don't know, I typically agree about Danny, but if another team was interested in any of these guys, wouldn't they have just expanded the trade to a 3-4 team deal? There may be a taker for Wright at the deadline, but Nelson (who has a player option for next year - this is much like Joel Anthony) and Crowder are hardly about to get other GMs all hot and bothered.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
The problem with this idea is that Boston would run into the same problems that the Pistons are currently facing, which is Monroe and Hibbert are both Centers.  Monroe needs to be a FT starting Center in this league.  He's not a PF. 

I think Green is going to be traded.  So this is a long, long shot

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The problem with this idea is that Boston would run into the same problems that the Pistons are currently facing, which is Monroe and Hibbert are both Centers.  Monroe needs to be a FT starting Center in this league.  He's not a PF. 

I think Green is going to be traded.  So this is a long, long shot

The problem with Detroit is that Josh Smith is there taking up the 4 slot forcing Monroe to the bench. Monroe is fine at the 4 spot and I think he is a much better 4 than 5 due to his defense. Smith, Monroe, Drummond doesnt work because Smith isn't a good SF.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 09:23:18 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I wouldn't wan the Georgetown 3 together.  Monroe is a Cneter and so is Hibbert.  Our frontcourt would be too slow.  I would like to see Monroe and Green together but don't think it will happen.  The C's are hoping for Okafor in the draft.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Probably a better chance Ainge gets Moe, Larry and Curly instead.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:29:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No, we have nothing to trade for Hibbert that the Pacers would want.

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

I don't know, I typically agree about Danny, but if another team was interested in any of these guys, wouldn't they have just expanded the trade to a 3-4 team deal? There may be a taker for Wright at the deadline, but Nelson (who has a player option for next year - this is much like Joel Anthony) and Crowder are hardly about to get other GMs all hot and bothered.

I agree with all of what you said, especially about the value (or lack thereof of Nelson and Crowder) but Ainge's tentative plans for these guys doesn't necessarily mean that he has a team in mind for them.

For Nelson, he could be a buyout candidate as Jeff mentioned in one of his front page articles yesterday or he could be filler or he could be here to help promote the tank.

Crowder, I'm sure will be given a shot, and given his cheap price and strong fundamentals, despite his physical limitations, could be a productive end of the bench guy. If not, he's expiring and will be filler too or just not picked up at season's end.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Probably a better chance Ainge gets Moe, Larry and Curly instead.

Didn't we get them yesterday???

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I wouldn't wan the Georgetown 3 together.  Monroe is a Cneter and so is Hibbert.  Our frontcourt would be too slow.  I would like to see Monroe and Green together but don't think it will happen.  The C's are hoping for Okafor in the draft.

Okafor is one of the slowest guys on the planet. Consequently, he is also not a great defender or rim protector. If Okafor becomes as good as Monroe offensively, whoever gets him should count themselves lucky.

If we can get Monroe this summer, we should grab him. He is still very young (will turn 25 in June) especially for a C/PF and very skilled.

As much as Monroe gets knocked for his D, it take him over Okafor anyday in that regard.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Monroe's defense is fine.  He closes lanes and playes solid defense by position.  He is not a shot blocker but he does play defense and he atleast know the rotation on d something Drummond does not. Monroe understanding of offense is special his handles and passing is awesome.  And he is not slow  3.35 3/4 court sprint not bad for 250 at all.  He just cant jump. I believe it will be far easier to get a rim protector whom can shoot to play with Monroe than get a big with Monroe's tallent.
blind optimist or GENIUS