Author Topic: Pick Protection  (Read 5103 times)

Re: Pick Protection
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I've never seen protection like that on a pick before.  Has that ever been done before, where a team delays getting a pick if it's not low enough?

I haven't either. It's the sort of inventive thing our front office would think up.

The pick Houston got from the Pelicans in the Asik deal is similar - protected 1-3 and 20-30.

So not that inventive. I am kind of surprised at the Cs allowing the 1-7 protection in future years. I am kinda hoping the Mavs just fall out of the playoffs this year, but that is probably not likely.

Don't think it really matters. Odds of Mavs going below 7 are negligible and even if they do, we get the pick back the next year anyway.

Oh, absolutely, but what if they have an off-year and then totally rebuild or have a major injury and then come back strong? I understand it is probably irrelevant, but it just kind of adds salt to the wound. Like Dallas wasn't going to trade a first, but they were convinced if they could have pretty significant protections on it.

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
The pick protection does make me tolerate this deal a little more

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 09:57:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Per Wojo...
2015 pick protected 1-3 and 15-30
2016-2020 protected 1-7

So it looks like the C's won's use the pick until next year.

AWESOME (sarcasm)!  I hate the entire concept of a protected pick.  That really needs to be eliminated.  No backsies, lol! ;D

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
This makes the deal a little more palatable I guess, but I still would've shot for an unprotected 2016 1st rounder or only protection for 1-3 or something.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I've never seen protection like that on a pick before.  Has that ever been done before, where a team delays getting a pick if it's not low enough?

I haven't either. It's the sort of inventive thing our front office would think up.

The pick Houston got from the Pelicans in the Asik deal is similar - protected 1-3 and 20-30.

So not that inventive. I am kind of surprised at the Cs allowing the 1-7 protection in future years. I am kinda hoping the Mavs just fall out of the playoffs this year, but that is probably not likely.

Don't think it really matters. Odds of Mavs going below 7 are negligible and even if they do, we get the pick back the next year anyway.

Oh, absolutely, but what if they have an off-year and then totally rebuild or have a major injury and then come back strong? I understand it is probably irrelevant, but it just kind of adds salt to the wound. Like Dallas wasn't going to trade a first, but they were convinced if they could have pretty significant protections on it.

Yeah obviously we wish it was unprotected but we could still very easily get something 8~14 for this which almost makes it worth it.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:19 PM »

Offline truth4lyfe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
But it's still more likely that the Dallas pick is in the 20s in 2016

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:27 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
But it's still more likely that the Dallas pick is in the 20s in 2016

Much less likely than them picking in the 20s in 2015.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Cleveland did that with a pick it got from Memphis in the Wayne Ellington deal, I believe. 

EDIT: 

Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 and 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]

Sources tell me that next Danny will flip Wright to Charlotte for a 1st round pick protected 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 11, 23 and 26 in 2015, protected 1-8 and 10-30 in 2016, and protected 1-3 in 2017 - unless the Pats win the Super Bowl that year, in which case it's protected 1-6.

If the pick has not been conveyed by then we get an unprotected pick in 2018...unless George R.R. Martin has finished Game of Thrones by draft night. Then the obligation is extinguished.

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:53 PM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
so unprotected 2018 as the George R.R. Martin from this dimension never will finish Game Of Thrones

he allways looks like having one of his feet in the hole allready. I mean I hope he does finish the books to help me thru the rebuild but I don't see it happen.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Anyone else find it mildly hilarious that our "superstar" couldn't fetch a single unprotected pick...?

Come on. That's really funny.  Ancient Kg and piece got 4 unprotected picks combined...

Trading Doc rivers got us an unprotected pick.

This is amazing. Lol

Doc rivers has more trade value than Rondo.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 01:31:24 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Anyone else find it mildly hilarious that our "superstar" couldn't fetch a single unprotected pick...?

Come on. That's really funny.  Ancient Kg and piece got 4 unprotected picks combined...

Trading Doc rivers got us an unprotected pick.

This is amazing. Lol

Doc rivers has more trade value than Rondo.
nobody??  I'm the only one who finds it funny our coach had more trade value ?

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 01:35:05 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I like the protection, honestly.  We've got enough draft picks this year, so we don't have to take another one unless Dallas winds up in the lotto (of course the top-3 is emergency insurance for them).

And next year, even if Rondo stays, Dirk will be a year older and it doesn't take much to fall off in the West.  We don't need the pick now and we take a gamble that it'll pay off next year. 

EDIT: The more we learn about the trade, the clearer it is that Danny was going for spreadsheet assets that maximize flexibility above all else.  We'll see if it pays off.

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 01:37:42 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I like the protection, honestly.  We've got enough draft picks this year, so we don't have to take another one unless Dallas winds up in the lotto (of course the top-3 is emergency insurance for them).

And next year, even if Rondo stays, Dirk will be a year older and it doesn't take much to fall off in the West.  We don't need the pick now and we take a gamble that it'll pay off next year.
still a chance we get the pick this year. Wouldn't be shocked to see the mavs fall apart with rondo at the helm. Could end up with a late lotto pick if they miss the playoffs in the deep west.

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 01:40:24 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

still a chance we get the pick this year. Wouldn't be shocked to see the mavs fall apart with rondo at the helm. Could end up with a late lotto pick if they miss the playoffs in the deep west.

I don't buy that they're worse with Rondo, but yeah, it doesn't take much to drop out of the WC playoffs, some bad luck or chemistry problems could do it.  Unfortunately I don't see a clear #9 team to leapfrog them.