Author Topic: Do we go after Jimmy Butler and Hibbert in the off-season ?  (Read 5459 times)

Re: Do we go after Jimmy Butler and Hibbert in the off-season ?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 12:13:41 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I mean, absolutely offer him a max deal but Chicago will match it.

RFAs of Leonard and Butler's quality just do not move. No matter how toxic we make the offer sheet, they will sign. They'll curse us to the heavens for ruining their salary structure, but they will sign.

So Rondo isn't worth a max deal but Jimmy Butler is? ::)  Oh man.

Well, it's all contextual. Rondo wasn't worth the max for us because he would be unlikely to be in his prime by the time we were contenders again.

Also, a max for Rondo and a max for Butler are very different due to their years of experience.

That's not necessarily saying that Butler is a better player right now. Although he may become one.

Actually based on his years in the league, and what he has been doing lately Butler will probably get a max salary.  He had 35/7/5 with 4 steals tonight.  I wasn't really that aware about him until recently when I was blown away when we played the bulls.  But I guess he has been doing that for the last year.  He is legit.

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would absolutely give Butler a max offer. His scoring is up, and his defense is elite. Chicago has been very reluctant in the past to pay the tax and if they offered Jimmy Butler the max they would certainly be paying the tax.

Hibbert is a bit too old and expensive.

I think restricted free agents are the way to go with our cap next year. Players that are restricted are young, and we could use our extra firsts to pry away an very good piece.

If I were the Celtics I would inquire about Butler, Kawhi, and Reggie Jackson.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 12:38:23 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I mean, absolutely offer him a max deal but Chicago will match it.

RFAs of Leonard and Butler's quality just do not move. No matter how toxic we make the offer sheet, they will sign. They'll curse us to the heavens for ruining their salary structure, but they will sign.

So Rondo isn't worth a max deal but Jimmy Butler is? ::)  Oh man.

If Butler keeps up his current play, then, yes, right now Butler would deserve a max contract over Rondo.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Not to hijack the thread, but I'd consider doing whatever it takes to get Kawhi Leonard.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 12:42:11 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Not to hijack the thread, but I'd consider doing whatever it takes to get Kawhi Leonard.

Same as Butler. We should absolutely offer him the best contract possible, but Spurs will match.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 12:52:15 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Same as Butler. We should absolutely offer him the best contract possible, but Spurs will match.

I'd offer the max on either if we can.

Smart along with Butler or Kawhi at the SG would be a great defensive combo.

But before we do this, we gotta freaking move Avery, man...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 12:53:39 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

I don't think this is a huge problem. If we ever wanted to dump Avery for expirings so we could get cap space, it would be trivially easy to do so.

(That said, we already have more than enough cap space to play with in the summer. Whether we actually get to use any of it is a different question.)

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 12:59:29 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

I second this.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 01:01:25 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I don't think this is a huge problem. If we ever wanted to dump Avery for expirings so we could get cap space, it would be trivially easy to do so.

(That said, we already have more than enough cap space to play with in the summer. Whether we actually get to use any of it is a different question.)

Well, my idea is so he doesnt take away playing time, assuming we can land a max offered Leonard or Butler.

Jury is still out on Smart, but atleast we know he can defend. Add another wing defender with him and that would be nasty good.

Then a Center is all that's left and we'll get a decent core. Asik is a FA right? Maybe we could go after him as well.

...Oh wait, what I'm I saying, we have a Center. I forgot we have the long wingspaned, 35 inches jumping Brandan Wright.

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

Well, my idea is so he doesnt take away playing time, assuming we can land a max offered Leonard or Butler.

Jury is still out on Smart, but atleast we know he can defend. Add another wing defender with him and that would be nasty good.

Then a Center is all that's left and we'll get a decent core. Asik is a FA right? Maybe we could go after him as well.

...Oh wait, what I'm I saying, we have a Center. I forgot we have the long wingspaned, 35 inches jumping Brandan Wright.

As a third guard, I think Avery Bradley is overqualified. I wouldn't feel the need to trade him at all just because we got someone better to start.

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 01:12:29 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

As a third guard, I think Avery Bradley is overqualified. I wouldn't feel the need to trade him at all just because we got someone better to start.

As a third guard, he will be expensive.

This will be the time when we should unleash James Young. I believe that if we're trying to get Leonard or Butler, we gotta move Bradley.

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 01:13:53 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

[dang] Spurs, it's like there's no chink in their armor. They're a beacon for greatness, and all that's right in the world. All I can say is I'm grateful Ainge/Wyc are not the type to make an impulsive/stupid signing to quell a rabid fan base. Maybe that's a credit to the fan base, IDK.

I realize this post had very little to do with Leonard/Butler.....but yeah, get them........

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 01:22:12 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Butler seems like the real deal.  If we could sign him, that could go a long way to making this trade a better deal.  BUT, I don't see any way that Chicago lets him go.

i don't know about that, chicago has ~$58.5M on the books already next year, and that does NOT include butler. keep in mind that reinsdorf is a cheapskate. don't be surprised if the bulls try to do a sign-and-trade with butler and get back a cheaper asset instead

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 01:24:10 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
Butler seems like the real deal.  If we could sign him, that could go a long way to making this trade a better deal.  BUT, I don't see any way that Chicago lets him go.

i don't know about that, chicago has ~$58.5M on the books already next year, and that does NOT include butler. keep in mind that reinsdorf is a cheapskate. don't be surprised if the bulls try to do a sign-and-trade with butler and get back a cheaper asset instead

Well, if they want to make a terrible decision by all means let's go take advantage.

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 01:24:50 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

man I would love to be wrong about that if we had a shot at Butler.  Yeah I always forget about the bulls front office.  They aren't the most free-wheeling-free-spending bunch even when they are a contender.  (cue the "so you are saying we have a chance"...)