Author Topic: Breakdown: How C's get $12.9M exception  (Read 3541 times)

Breakdown: How C's get $12.9M exception
« on: December 18, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 From ESPN Boston

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com
3725COMMENTS23EMAILPRINT
The Boston Celtics will generate a $12.9 million trade exception after their five-player, two-draft pick swap with the Dallas Mavericks is finalized on Thursday evening. Here's how it works:

• Boston sends: Rajon Rondo, Dwight Powell

• Dallas sends: Brandan Wright, Jameer Nelson, Jae Crowder, and a future first- and second-round draft pick

• How it works: Each team can present the deal differently to the league in order to maximize trade exceptions generated. Boston essentially lines up the deal by trading Rondo for no return, which generates a $12.9 million exception (his entire 2014-15 salary). Boston absorbs Wright's $5 million salary using Kris Humphries trade exception ($5.3 million), Nelson's $2.7 million via Joel Anthony trade exception ($3.8 million), and Crowder via the rest of the Anthony exception (or minimum salary exception).

• The next step: Boston was at the roster maximum of 15 players and by receiving three players in return, the Celtics must waive one additional player. That final detail should emerge when Boston formally announces the trade.

Re: Breakdown: How C's get $12.9M exception
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:03:39 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Do something good with it and maybe I'll view the trade a little differently...

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:04:47 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Quickly that becomes the best piece in the deal.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 08:07:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Well that makes things more interesting. Still not a huge fan but that is more to like.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
We used the Pierce 10 mil trade exception to net us Zeller, Thornton, and the Cavs first pick in 2015.   If we do something similar with this exception that would be a really good haul. 

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Danny must have some trade exception fetish. I mean, he loves those things. The question is: did he pass on the New Orleans lottery pick just so he could get a bigger TE?

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
who would even be interested in moving a $10M+ type player for this TPE? 
not many other teams around the league like us looking to cut good players in order to lose more games...

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
We used the Pierce 10 mil trade exception to net us Zeller, Thornton, and the Cavs first pick in 2015.   If we do something similar with this exception that would be a really good haul.

I forgot about that Cavs pick.  So wait we just had to struggle to cut to 15 mid season and we're adding 4 first rounders and a second rounder this year? 

So we have Thorton expiring, Will Bynum expiring, Bass expiring and Pressey on a Team option.  So I'm guessing we decline Pressey, then cut Evan Turner?  Can we even do that?  I would genuinely prefer someone like Jerian Grant or Michael Frazier at this point over The Villain, as cool as that nickname is and as much as Mark Titus vouches for him

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The question is will they use it?

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 08:27:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Danny must have some trade exception fetish. I mean, he loves those things. The question is: did he pass on the New Orleans lottery pick just so he could get a bigger TE?

No he could have created the TE with Rockets the same way. He had to believe Cap<Wright, Pap <Crowder, NO 1st> Mavs 1st, Nelson=Terry. More pluses towards Mavs deal.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Sadly, yes.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I forgot about that Cavs pick.  So wait we just had to struggle to cut to 15 mid season and we're adding 4 first rounders and a second rounder this year? 

So we have Thorton expiring, Will Bynum expiring, Bass expiring and Pressey on a Team option.  So I'm guessing we decline Pressey, then cut Evan Turner?  Can we even do that?  I would genuinely prefer someone like Jerian Grant or Michael Frazier at this point over The Villain, as cool as that nickname is and as much as Mark Titus vouches for him

My mistake, the Cavs first pick is in 2016 not next year.  We will have back to back years though with 3 first round picks as of now. 

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
From ESPN Boston

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com
3725COMMENTS23EMAILPRINT
The Boston Celtics will generate a $12.9 million trade exception after their five-player, two-draft pick swap with the Dallas Mavericks is finalized on Thursday evening. Here's how it works:

• Boston sends: Rajon Rondo, Dwight Powell

• Dallas sends: Brandan Wright, Jameer Nelson, Jae Crowder, and a future first- and second-round draft pick

• How it works: Each team can present the deal differently to the league in order to maximize trade exceptions generated. Boston essentially lines up the deal by trading Rondo for no return, which generates a $12.9 million exception (his entire 2014-15 salary). Boston absorbs Wright's $5 million salary using Kris Humphries trade exception ($5.3 million), Nelson's $2.7 million via Joel Anthony trade exception ($3.8 million), and Crowder via the rest of the Anthony exception (or minimum salary exception).

• The next step: Boston was at the roster maximum of 15 players and by receiving three players in return, the Celtics must waive one additional player. That final detail should emerge when Boston formally announces the trade.
slick move by ainge. i am impressed with the financial gymnastics here. so the celtics get wright, salary slop, and generate a sizable trade exception instead of smaller, less valuable ones.

tp for the thread and info.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How soon can we use the exception to absorb Lance Stephenson?