Author Topic: In Ainge I trust!  (Read 12363 times)

Re: In Ainge I trust!
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Holy Lord! I saw the pick protections.

We're not even going to get that first round pick this year? Good going, Danny Ainge.

It's protected in our favor for this year...it's a good thing.  You may want to read the facts.

This is from the main Celticsblog site.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/12/18/7419021/what-are-the-celtics-getting-from-the-mavericks-for-rajon-rondo

Woj: Sources: Protections on the 2015 first-round pick Dallas sent Boston: Protected 1-3 and 15-30 in 2015; 2016-2020 protected to No. 7.

Chris Mannix: The protections on the the pick Boston picked up from Dallas, via @WojYahooNBA, effectively make it a '16 first rounder.

Am I reading that wrong?

Well, it's potentially in our favor.  If Dallas does well this year as expected, it will be a late pick and we will get 2016 instead.  Then we have to hope that Rondo and Chandler bolt, and Dirk declines.  In any event, the chances are that the pick is better in 2016 than 2015.

Let's assume that happens, if they decline, the most we can get is an 8th pick. And 8th pick two years from now and that's if we're lucky.

If they stay and decide to give it another run? That's a late first round pick. 

We'd have to be really, really lucky for this pick to be in our favor. And we gambled our only star for it.

Unbelievable.

I'm not sure that Rondo was still a "star" and getting a first round pick is better than nothing when the so-called star leaves next year.

Its also better than giving a so-called star a max contract.

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2014, 11:10:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

We're not even going to get that first round pick this year? Good going, Danny Ainge.

It's protected in our favor for this year...it's a good thing.  You may want to read the facts.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/12/18/7419021/what-are-the-celtics-getting-from-the-mavericks-for-rajon-rondo

Woj: Sources: Protections on the 2015 first-round pick Dallas sent Boston: Protected 1-3 and 15-30 in 2015; 2016-2020 protected to No. 7.

Chris Mannix: The protections on the the pick Boston picked up from Dallas, via @WojYahooNBA, effectively make it a '16 first rounder.

Am I reading that wrong?

Well, it's potentially in our favor.  If Dallas does well this year as expected, it will be a late pick and we will get 2016 instead.  Then we have to hope that Rondo and Chandler bolt, and Dirk declines.  In any event, the chances are that the pick is better in 2016 than 2015.

Let's assume that happens, if they decline, the most we can get is an 8th pick. And 8th pick two years from now and that's if we're lucky.

We'd have to be really, really lucky for this pick to be in our favor. And we gambled our only star for it.

Unbelievable.

I'm not sure that Rondo was still a "star" and getting a first round pick is better than nothing when the so-called star leaves next year.

He's leading the league in assists with a mediocre supporting cast. He's leading the league in Rebounds for his position. That's not a star to you?

Waiting out to get a better deal or using our assets to surround our star with some better players so he would stay is better than giving him away for chump change.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:17 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Am I reading that wrong?

Unbelievable.

He's leading the league in assists with a mediocre supporting cast. He's leading the league in Rebounds for his position. That's not a star to you?

Waiting out to get a better deal or using our assets to surround our star with some better players so he would stay is better than giving him away for chump change.

He can't shoot or play defense.  He is not a star anymore.  He's done and Danny knew it.  Chump change is better than nothing.   I will take a first round pick for a guy who was going to bail. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2014, 11:41:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Am I reading that wrong?

Unbelievable.

He can't shoot or play defense.  He is not a star anymore.  He's done and Danny knew it.  Chump change is better than nothing.   I will take a first round pick for a guy who was going to bail.

How are you so sure that he's bailing?

Also, how are you so sure that that we cant get a better offer? Houston seems to be interested in him. They could have maybe offered us a better deal.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:02 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Am I reading that wrong?

Unbelievable.

How are you so sure that he's bailing?

Also, how are you so sure that that we cant get a better offer? Houston seems to be interested in him. They could have maybe offered us a better deal.

Morey's the kind of guy who doesn't do trades unless he's absolutely swindling the other side. I highly doubt he had any intention of giving us the Pellicans pick.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2014, 11:52:25 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think that I would have rather seen Rondo walk, than take back garbage.  That #1 pick in all likelihood will be a non-contributor that just sucks up guaranteed salary for a couple of years.

That's an understandable thought process.

You could also look at it and say that we just increased our odds at Okafur, Towns or Muiday in this upcoming draft.

If we assume Green and Bass will be gone soon, and that we are only 4 games better than Detroit and New York at the moment- we'll have a very good shot at a top 3 pick.
With a bit of luck we'll get number 1 :)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2014, 11:54:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it's worth reminding everybody that the Sixers traded Holiday for Nerlens Noel and a lottery pick (that essentially ended up as Saric, I believe).

I really don't understand Danny's plan. He apparently wants to be bad and is willing to trade off our best players for pennies on the dollar, but the team continues to rely heavily on their veteran players during games (this year AND last year). If the plan really is to be horrible, then he should stick by that plan. I don't respect what the Sixers are doing, but they made a decision and are doing it better than anybody else. By wavering these last couple of years, Danny has cost us potential draft position and almost certainly a better return on Rondo.

Obviously the Big 3 acquisition was amazing, but that was 7 1/2 years ago - seriously, what have you done for me lately?

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2014, 04:40:46 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I think it's worth reminding everybody that the Sixers traded Holiday for Nerlens Noel and a lottery pick (that essentially ended up as Saric, I believe).

Much different scenarios.  Jrue had just turned 23 the day he was traded.  Jrue had also just signed a fairly team friendly long-term contract.  Rondo meanwhile is 28 on the last year of his contract.  One is a young player under contract that you can build around.  The other is a vet that could be gone in six months.  Jrue obviously had much more trade value.

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2014, 04:44:20 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
This is not about Rondo getting traded.
It is about the poor return. 

It is December.  Trade Deadline is February.
Alot of options between now and then.
Making this deal, this early was just poor.  The only way it pans out is if Danny makes another deal-soon.

Ask yourself why Kobe, Melo, Lebron,  all would like to play with Rajon Rondo.

So let's not pretend he's not a valued player. 

I see no reason to rush out and make a deal that fetches Brandon Wright and a late round number 1 as the center of a trade. 
 :o

I don't think the C's did rush out and make a trade.  All signs point to them having tried to trade Rondo since he got off the injured list.  Unfortunately for the C's no one wanted to invest in injured goods last year, and unfortunately no one wanted to pony up for a six month rental this year.  The C's were in a horrible spot.  I can understand the argument to wait another month or two, but I just don't see this huge trade offer opening up in the next two months when nothing has happened in the last year or so.  And I'd rather they move him now and really start to dive in the standings and make a push for a top five lotto spot.

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2014, 04:47:28 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

Teams sell late #1s every year for cash.  Oftentimes, you see teams actively trying to get out of the first round, to avoid that guaranteed contract.

Has it happened once since the new CBA came into effect?  If it has, I don't remember it happening.  I know Miami traded out of the first a while back, but they still got a fairly valuable chip in return.

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2014, 05:46:35 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I think this trade proves that Danny wants to tank this year and believes that dumping Rondo will cause the Celtics to have more losses and hence slip deeper into lottery contention. Otherwise, there is little reason to explain the timing of the deal and I am not buying the theory that it's done this early so Ainge could then repackage one of the Mavs players before the deadline. They aren't worth making the deal now over. The only explanation is Danny wants Stevens to have less talent to be able to win games with.
Yawn. Yup that's why he did it to suck so bad and try to strike the lottery again. Look at our schedule coming up its soft. Wins against these sorry teams like Orlando w/ Rondo now become losses without him and it's what he wanted. I don't think I'll ever agree with this trade.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:03:18 AM by j804 »
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2014, 07:02:41 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'm sorry to see RR go! He was the magician of the pass!  But, he was also gonna get a max or near max deal, yet I see at least 8-10 point guards I would rather have had on the C's!  You don't give a max contract, and build your team around a player who's not top 5 at their position. Too much money! Hey, if there wasn't a salary cap, sure, it's not my money.  Unfortunately there's a glut of pg's right now, and after just drafting MS, Danny made the only realistic move possible.
Rajon just never had the scoring mentality we need right now---and , although it improved, never got his shooting to where it needed to be.

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I don't see the argument here. I'm a huge Rondo fan. But unless we magically gained two allstars before the offseason, I can't see him re-signing here. We traded the privilege of watching him put up triple doubles on a poor team for a late 1st. It's not going to mean that we get a top 3 pick, but our pick will be higher without Rondo.

Also, the idea that people won't want to play for Ainge because of this trade is ludicrous. Ainge put a celtic in a position to win on another team, just as he did with Pierce and KG.

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2014, 08:24:49 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Much different scenarios.  Jrue had just turned 23 the day he was traded.  Jrue had also just signed a fairly team friendly long-term contract.  Rondo meanwhile is 28 on the last year of his contract.  One is a young player under contract that you can build around.  The other is a vet that could be gone in six months.  Jrue obviously had much more trade value.

But Rondo had his choice of places to go, it's not like Danny sent him off to Siberia knowing he would never re-sign. If anything, Rondo's willingness to go to Dallas should have reinforced a better return.

Heck, Kevin Love went to Cleveland in the exact same situation for the last two #1 overall picks, Thaddeus Young (like getting Jeff Green), and a TPE worth over 6 million. I don't want to go into reasons why Love is a way better player than Rondo, but it seems the Wolves took the Cavs to the cleaners while the Cs were only able to get a late first.

I imagine the return 'should' have been somewhere in between and since it was not, I would have MUCH rather kept Rondo.

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2014, 08:29:22 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29

But Rondo had his choice of places to go, it's not like Danny sent him off to Siberia knowing he would never re-sign. If anything, Rondo's willingness to go to Dallas should have reinforced a better return.

Heck, Kevin Love went to Cleveland in the exact same situation for the last two #1 overall picks, Thaddeus Young (like getting Jeff Green), and a TPE worth over 6 million. I don't want to go into reasons why Love is a way better player than Rondo, but it seems the Wolves took the Cavs to the cleaners while the Cs were only able to get a late first.

I imagine the return 'should' have been somewhere in between and since it was not, I would have MUCH rather kept Rondo.

You think we could trade Rondo for the #1 overall pick? Case closed.