Author Topic: In Ainge I trust!  (Read 12325 times)

In Ainge I trust!
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
DA took the best of a bad situation and got a little something.  The return was meager, but it still better than letting him walk for nothing, or giving RR a max or near-max deal (which thankfully DA is too smart to do).  There was a lot of pouting and gnashing of teeth on CB after the KG/Pierce trade.  After the smoke cleared that trade was considered a master stroke by Ainge.  While this trade isn't nearly the coup that deal was, it will be seen as a move that was necessary to make when we look at this trade a couple years from now.

Re: In Ainge I trust!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
[Edited.]

This is the second post I've deleted of yours in the past 5 minutes.  Respect others, and quit swearing. -RH
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:53:28 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
DA took the best of a bad situation and got a little something.  The return was meager, but it still better than letting him walk for nothing, or giving RR a max or near-max deal (which thankfully DA is too smart to do).  There was a lot of pouting and gnashing of teeth on CB after the KG/Pierce trade.  After the smoke cleared that trade was considered a master stroke by Ainge.  While this trade isn't nearly the coup that deal was, it will be seen as a move that was necessary to make when we look at this trade a couple years from now.

+1 .

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

C's should get at least one more first for that TPE. Considering the realistic market for Rondo, I'll take two 1sts for his expiring.

I find it funny that anyone should have the gall to suggest they know more than the C's front office about Rondo's offseason preferences, and that he would have taken a discount to stay here. I also find it funny that anyone should have the gall to suggest that there was a conspicuously better offer out there waiting for Rondo, and that our front office just decided not to take it.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 07:55:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that I would have rather seen Rondo walk, than take back garbage.  That #1 pick in all likelihood will be a non-contributor that just sucks up guaranteed salary for a couple of years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not today.

Compare to his past deals, this is so not Danny Ainge-ish.

This is a deal Billy King would do.

Roy H said it best, we could have waited. This deal would still be probably on the table by trade deadline, but it gives us some time to explore more and get a much better offer.

He settled, and looked like he had no idea what he was doing.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
good thread and good timing. emotions are high here, i think as high as when pierce and kg left. but celtics life will go on.

i dont now whether wright will pan out, or what ainge will do with 3 number one picks, but it will be interesting to see what happens, and..... to see the kids develop this year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think that I would have rather seen Rondo walk, than take back garbage.  That #1 pick in all likelihood will be a non-contributor that just sucks up guaranteed salary for a couple of years.
the odds are with you if we look at all draft choices taken in that probable range. but the odds are against you when we look at ainge's record for picking later in the draft. rondo, sully, and allen worked out well. and west, if not for his sad mental health, would have been a credible nba player.

in ainge i trust.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Do you honestly believe that?  So if Dallas wasn't involved in the Rondo talks, but for some insane reason they called up DA and said, "Hey, we're feeling a little nutty over here in Texas.  How's about we give you our 2015 1st rounder for free?"  You'd want Ainge's response to be, "I'll pass?"  That's crazy.  First rounders, even first rounders that look like they're gonna be late first rounders, have a lot of value, now more than ever.  And even if a late first rounder bombs, what does it do to a team's cap room?  1.1 mill guaranteed per year for two years?  That's a joke. 

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not today.

Roy H said it best, we could have waited. This deal would still be probably on the table by trade deadline, but it gives us some time to explore more and get a much better offer.

What if Rondo got injured?? Or Mavs trade for another vet PG like Deron Williams??

Rondo only ok'd to sign extension with the Rockets or Mavs.  That leaves us with little options

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 08:01:50 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I have been a staunch Danny supporter,  but I'm wavering big-time here.

The timing of this was such that it allows us to move the three stooges before the trade deadline. Silvergray lining?

Jameer blankin Nelson is the first to dump. His defining moment for me was when AB hounded him and literally almost had him crying.

Problem is he has a player option for $3.5 mil next year. No one wants him, so you know he'll exercise it.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this trade proves that Danny wants to tank this year and believes that dumping Rondo will cause the Celtics to have more losses and hence slip deeper into lottery contention. Otherwise, there is little reason to explain the timing of the deal and I am not buying the theory that it's done this early so Ainge could then repackage one of the Mavs players before the deadline. They aren't worth making the deal now over. The only explanation is Danny wants Stevens to have less talent to be able to win games with.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:09:38 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not today.

Well in some sense DA couldn't wait. If he wants to use any of the players he's getting from Dallas at the trade deadline, he had to pull the trigger today. Nelson could get you something from a playoff team at the deadline. So there might be something he's cooking up for later on that he needed an other first rounder for.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 08:03:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

1).  Danny Ainge CREATED this terrible situation, and his 'solution' is even worse.  He sucks.  2).  The return was meager? 

3).  The KG/Pierce deal is a masterstroke!? :o  WOW.  4).  This deal was a coup, all right, but for Dallas.  It actually feels like a hostile takeover in basketball terms.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Do you honestly believe that?  So if Dallas wasn't involved in the Rondo talks, but for some insane reason they called up DA and said, "Hey, we're feeling a little nutty over here in Texas.  How's about we give you our 2015 1st rounder for free?"  You'd want Ainge's response to be, "I'll pass?"  That's crazy.  First rounders, even first rounders that look like they're gonna be late first rounders, have a lot of value, now more than ever.  And even if a late first rounder bombs, what does it do to a team's cap room?  1.1 mill guaranteed per year for two years?  That's a joke.

Teams sell late #1s every year for cash.  Oftentimes, you see teams actively trying to get out of the first round, to avoid that guaranteed contract.

So, while I wouldn't turn down a #1 pick for free -- you can always take a Euro prospect -- I don't think that late #1s have "a lot" of value. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes