Author Topic: Bring Back Rondo!  (Read 13307 times)

Re: Bring Back Rondo!
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2015, 10:25:03 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Can't believe some some posters believe that Rondo would command $8-$10 million/year.  My guess he won't be offered more than $5 million/year...if that. 

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2015, 10:25:30 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Rondo is a team cancer, it would be a tremendous mistake to bring him back. Dallas couldn't deal with his personality, attitude and playing deficiencies. Why should we? Find a PG that fits in with the team Ainge and Stevens are tying to build. The NBA is full of talent at PG. Or wait, and see what Smart develops into.

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2015, 10:32:49 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Rondo has a too big ego to be the backup on the team where he was once considered the best player

Rondo signs with either LA, rockets or NY
Id be surprised if any team offered him a near max deal (maybe kings as they are desperate)

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2015, 10:32:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I don't want to see Rajon Rondo back here. He did his time in BOS, contributed as a key player in attempted title runs, and won a Banner.

I wouldn't want him back here with this fickle fan base.

Some here totally discount what he did here, make up baseless reasons to undercut his time in BOS, ridicule those that support him.

He did his time here. Time to move on.

I wish him well wherever he lands. WHEREVER he lands.

But don't come back here. He deserves better.
He deserves better? Are you kidding me? He got payed millions of dollars to play a game. He didn't deserve anything , but for years boston fans cheared for him at every turn I don't feel bad at all that people gave him grief as he has basically destroyed the last two teams he's played for.

I loved rondo. I thought he would put Dallas on his back in the playoffs. I hope he finds success in the res of his career but to say he deserves better? Not a chance.

No, not kidding you at all.

Destroyed who? I thought Basketball was a TEAM sport. Danny got a TE, Jae Crowder and a draft pick from DAL for the shell of Rajon (at the moment). He is to be commended for that.

When Rajon Rondo had a competitive TEAM around him - he competed. Danny Ainge attempted to acquire such pieces, but KLove chose to go to CLE.

This has been discussed ad infinitum.

Danny Ainge probably realized this sooner than many of us that after the KLove Train passed us, this "current" team would not suit Rondo.

As for BOS fans cheering his every turn? I disagree. He and Antoine Walker have got to be the most divisive players ever to wear Green, from what I've observed Fan-base wise.

And you thought Rajon Rondo was going to put DAL on his back? He'd need a Godzilla-sized back for that, and the ogre called Rick Carlylse would not fit on it.

Rajon's back would be broken by Chandler Parson's injury, Dirk Nowitski's strangely inconsistent J nowadays, Tyson's age, their depleted bench and the fact that even when healthy only he and Tyson were known defenders.

It would also be broken by the possibility that Rajon Rondo may NEVER return to his former glory....he laid much of his body on the floor in BOS already.

20 years from now, he/we may very well say that his best years were in BOSTON, with not only the most successful team in NBA history, but one of the most successful sports franchises EVER.

That is something to hang your hat on.

But no - don't come around BOS no more, Rondo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2015, 11:03:33 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I don't want to see Rajon Rondo back here. He did his time in BOS, contributed as a key player in attempted title runs, and won a Banner.

I wouldn't want him back here with this fickle fan base.

Some here totally discount what he did here, make up baseless reasons to undercut his time in BOS, ridicule those that support him.

He did his time here. Time to move on.

I wish him well wherever he lands. WHEREVER he lands.

But don't come back here. He deserves better.
He deserves better? Are you kidding me? He got payed millions of dollars to play a game. He didn't deserve anything , but for years boston fans cheared for him at every turn I don't feel bad at all that people gave him grief as he has basically destroyed the last two teams he's played for.

I loved rondo. I thought he would put Dallas on his back in the playoffs. I hope he finds success in the res of his career but to say he deserves better? Not a chance.

No, not kidding you at all.

Destroyed who? I thought Basketball was a TEAM sport. Danny got a TE, Jae Crowder and a draft pick from DAL for the shell of Rajon (at the moment). He is to be commended for that.

When Rajon Rondo had a competitive TEAM around him - he competed. Danny Ainge attempted to acquire such pieces, but KLove chose to go to CLE.

This has been discussed ad infinitum.

Danny Ainge probably realized this sooner than many of us that after the KLove Train passed us, this "current" team would not suit Rondo.

As for BOS fans cheering his every turn? I disagree. He and Antoine Walker have got to be the most divisive players ever to wear Green, from what I've observed Fan-base wise.

And you thought Rajon Rondo was going to put DAL on his back? He'd need a Godzilla-sized back for that, and the ogre called Rick Carlylse would not fit on it.

Rajon's back would be broken by Chandler Parson's injury, Dirk Nowitski's strangely inconsistent J nowadays, Tyson's age, their depleted bench and the fact that even when healthy only he and Tyson were known defenders.

It would also be broken by the possibility that Rajon Rondo may NEVER return to his former glory....he laid much of his body on the floor in BOS already.

20 years from now, he/we may very well say that his best years were in BOSTON, with not only the most successful team in NBA history, but one of the most successful sports franchises EVER.

That is something to hang your hat on.

But no - don't come around BOS no more, Rondo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8
I mean without Rondo the Celtics have been way better than with Rondo for the past two years and the Mavs have been miles better with Rondo than without. Hes a moody player who only shows up to play half the time. Yes he was tremendous for us and left it all on the court for a few years but he did not do enough to earn Paul Pierce status.

He tore his acl and never recovered but we dont give Rondo grief for not being the guy he was in 2011 etc.

Rondo doesnt deserve our undying love and effection or anyones for that matter because for the last two years hes done nothing but be a negative drain on a team with his performance, attitude and work ethic.

Hes no Pierce, hes no KG, hes just Rajon Rondo.

Celtics fans appreciate effort. You never hear a bad word about KG because he gave it everyday. Rondo, he gave it every now and then, and when he did we adored him for it. In fact, I cant think of a single time we booed Rondo. Sure fans on a forum are going to say "hey I dont like that player when he doesnt try" or "I dont like that player who  is making our team significantly worse", but its not like we booed the guy out of town I feel like you are way over dramatizing this.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:11:11 PM by mahcus smaht »

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2015, 11:11:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I mean without Rondo the Celtics have been way better than with Rondo for the past two years and the Mavs have been miles better with Rondo than without. Hes a moody player who only shows up to play half the time. Yes he was tremendous for us and left it all on the court for a few years but he did not do enough to earn Paul Pierce status.

I love Rondo I made a post when he had the first blow-up with Carlisle about how we should look back at the brilliant moments he had in a Celtics uniform.

He tore his acl and never recovered but we dont give Rondo grief for not being the guy he was in 2011 etc.

Rondo doesnt deserve our undying love and effection or anyones for that matter because for the last two years hes done nothing but be a negative drain on a team with his performance, attitude and work ethic.

This is  problem I have with society nowadays...this "what have you done for me lately" crowd.

It sickens me, TBH. There is no loyalty or too little.

So you're basically judging Rajon Rondo on his last two years and his lack of State Farm commercials, "crowd" appeal, crowd pleasing?

Rajon Rondo is NOT Hollywood. But he may end up in Hollywood, and if he does I will cheer him, even against BOS.

And I bleed Green forever.

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown

I love Rondo I made a post when he had the first blow-up with Carlisle about how we should look back at the brilliant moments he had in a Celtics uniform.

This is  problem I have with society nowadays...this "what have you done for me lately" crowd.

So you're basically judging Rajon Rondo on his last two years and his lack of State Farm commercials, "crowd" appeal, crowd pleasing?

Rajon Rondo is NOT Hollywood. But he may end up in Hollywood, and if he does I will cheer him, even against BOS.

What do you think this is some movie? when you dont try and act as a net negative on a team where you are supposed to be in the prime of your career, people are going to call you out.

When Rondo's career is over thats when its time to say, hey look at all that guy did for us but the bottom line is Rondo did not give even close to maximum effort after returning from his surgery and you cant just not try. that is unforgiveable.

What makes me sick is you trying to act like you are so morally superior because you still support some guy from our title run who has been nothing short of garbage in every regard for the last two years.

Its not like he broke down physically and now we all hate him. Its that he displayed a terrible attitude and refused to try unless it was to "stick it" to his old team.

Where's the loyalty there.

When you root against the C's for the Lakers you arent bleeding green. Thats not how it works, unless maybe if your talking about a Celtic legend.

Hes no legend, not even close.
-----------------------
we agree that when we look back on Rajon Rondo we should, and I expect most of Celtics nation will, remember the times he left it all on the floor, helped us win a title and nearly carried us to an NBA championship over Lebron.

However, to say he deserves better is rediculous. He was the 4th best player on that championship squad and he then was probably the 3rd best for the next couple years and in the 2012 playoffs he was our best player. He has a very nice resume but I dont think hes earned immunity.

Right now hes a player who sucks and doesnt try and is a straight up prima donna. Im not going to defend that.

I wish him well but its not like we burned down his [dang] house we criticized a lack of effort.

Is that so wrong?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:35:17 PM by mahcus smaht »

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2015, 11:31:22 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Rondo, when he was traded, was leading the league in assists and led all guards in rebounds per game. Just because he does not fit some preconceived notion does not mean he was"sticking it" to the Celtics or trying to be bad.

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2015, 11:38:34 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
Rondo, when he was traded, was leading the league in assists and led all guards in rebounds per game. Just because he does not fit some preconceived notion does not mean he was"sticking it" to the Celtics or trying to be bad.
IMO he was looking to get his numbers with those. I could be wrong but the point is that we were way better post rondo, just like last year we were way better pre-rondo.

When we traded him he came back and had the single best game of the year. Every now and then when he had some motivation he dominated, thats why its so frustrating.

I dont think he was "trying to be bad" just that he was looking to get his assist and rebound count, not win basketball games or leave it all on the court. I mean he admitted he wasnt trying on D.

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2015, 11:41:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In the same way that some things are greater than the sum of their parts some things are just horrible ideas in every possible scenario no matter what you put on paper.

It's hard for me to think of examples of how bad an idea this is.  It would be like if....Jeb Bush became president and made Dick Cheney Secretary of State. Why? Why would you do that? Why? Do not even tell me "He has a lot of experience". Don't even say that. Don't do it.

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2015, 11:43:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The only way you do it is if Rondo signs for a very very nice contract and then they trade Marcus Smart for Jahil Okafor and Philly's 2nd rounder and another distant 2nd rounder

That is just about the only way it works. Even then.

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2015, 11:50:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

What do you think this is some movie? when you dont try and act as a net negative on a team where you are supposed to be in the prime of your career, people are going to call you out.

When Rondo's career is over thats when its time to say, hey look at all that guy did for us but the bottom line is Rondo did not give even close to maximum effort after returning from his surgery and you cant just not try. that is unforgiveable.

What makes me sick is you trying to act like you are so morally superior because you still support some guy from our title run who has been nothing short of garbage in every regard for the last two years.

Its not like he broke down physically and now we all hate him. Its that he displayed a terrible attitude and refused to try unless it was to "stick it" to his old team.

When you root against the C's for the Lakers you arent bleeding green. Thats not how it works, unless maybe if your talking about a Celtic legend.

Well, a poster called me "Dr. Phil" a while back on here, which I thought was shocking, lol.

Might as well play the role:

Why does when someone take a particularly strong stand on something - whether sports or otherwise - he/she is labeled as "think they are better than anyone?"

Is that societies' way of intimidating people? Won't work with me.

So, because I refuse to judge Rajon Rondo on his last two years and his (AND DALLAS') debacle, I'm now "morally superior."

And yes, to me - Rajon Rondo performed like a legend for a 2-3 year window - moreso in the playoffs.

Why not respect my views and move on? I'm not backing down. On CelticsBlog I've stated my views, just as you've stated yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTXb-ga1fo

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2015, 12:05:33 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Heh... I posted this thread the day of the Rondo trade.   I was so confident that Rondo was going to be a disaster in Dallas, that I automatically assumed he'd avoid signing an extension there and I figured we could sign him in the summer to be Smart's back-up. 

There's no prediction in this thread.  Just me declaring my undying support of Rondo the day he was traded.  I was looking forward to his failure in Dallas so that we could consider bringing him back on a bargain.   I'm less interested in having him come off our bench now that we have Thomas, but if Ainge takes a big trade swing this summer that leaves us needing a PG, I'd probably offer Rajon a contract.

In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2015, 12:13:19 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
In the same way that some things are greater than the sum of their parts some things are just horrible ideas in every possible scenario no matter what you put on paper.

It's hard for me to think of examples of how bad an idea this is.  It would be like if....Jeb Bush Hillary Clinton became president and made Dick Cheney Hillary Clinton Secretary of State. Why? Why would you do that? Why? Do not even tell me "He has a lot of experience". Don't even say that. Don't do it.

FTFY  ;)

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:58 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown

Well, a poster called me "Dr. Phil" a while back on here, which I thought was shocking, lol.

Might as well play the role:

Why does when someone take a particularly strong stand on something - whether sports or otherwise - he/she is labeled as "think they are better than anyone?"

Is that societies' way of intimidating people? Won't work with me.

So, because I refuse to judge Rajon Rondo on his last two years and his (AND DALLAS') debacle, I'm now "morally superior."

And yes, to me - Rajon Rondo performed like a legend for a 2-3 year window - moreso in the playoffs.

Why not respect my views and move on? I'm not backing down. On CelticsBlog I've stated my views, just as you've stated yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTXb-ga1fo
"This is  problem I have with society nowadays...this "what have you done for me lately" crowd.

It sickens me, TBH. There is no loyalty or too little."

This quote is where i got them morally superior from. Perhaps a misinterpretation.

I respect that you want to wish rondo well in future endeavors and that you thinks his (substantial) past contributions grant him a basketball immunity of sorts. However, I don't respect you calling out the entire celtics fan base and saying in effect they aren't good enough fans to deserve Rajon rondo.
I do take exception to that.

you can't call out everyone's opinions as sickening then say "whoa man just respect my opinion"

Am I reading into this the wrong way?