Author Topic: Bring Back Rondo!  (Read 13315 times)

Re: Bring Back Rondo!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 06:00:15 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
No interest at all in bringing back Rondo. I definitely don't want him starting over Smart and Thomas is a much better option at backup, and a better player at this point. If he's interested in taking Phil Pressey's job as 3rd string, then sure. But even then I'd worry that he will mess up team chemistry
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Rondo returning from a basketball standpoint doesn't seem a bad idea. His value is down so he would be cheaper, he wants to prove himself again, we hopefully have a few more pieces for him to work with and we can use the skill set he brings.

I would still say 'no'. No assurance he will ever be as effective as in the past, he stopped putting in on defense (by his own admission) for this organisation, there are doubts about his ability to 'fit' - or can CBS fit RRs skills to his system and there are better options available.

No Back to the Future here for me.

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 06:29:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No interest at all in bringing back Rondo. I definitely don't want him starting over Smart and Thomas is a much better option at backup, and a better player at this point. If he's interested in taking Phil Pressey's job as 3rd string, then sure. But even then I'd worry that he will mess up team chemistry
I created this thread literally minutes after the Rondo trade was announced as a joke.  But there actually is a scenario where bringing back Rondo would make some sense.  It's super far-fetched, though.

Imagine, for instance, that Cousins actually becomes available.  I don't see any way we're getting him without giving up the majority of our best assets.  That would probably mean goodbye to Marcus Smart, lots of picks and probably other players as well.  Imagine we had to give up Smart, Thomas, Zeller, Sully all in the same trade.   Cousins said some glowing stuff about Rondo earlier this season.  He said Rondo was the best PG in the league (pre-Dallas).  Perhaps with Cousins on board and Thomas/Smart gone, you bring Rondo back.   Then you're looking at like...
PG - Rondo - 10 mil
SG - Bradley - 8 mil
SF - Turner - 3.4 mil
PF - Oly - 2.1 mil
C - Cousins - 14 mil
SG - Young - 1.7 mil
SF - Wallace - 10 mil

You now have 50 mil on the books with a 66  mil cap.  Perhaps you use the stretch provision on Wallace and have like 23mil in cap space leftover.  you could offer a max contract to Kevin Love.  Heck, if you can dump Bradley for a draft pick an expiring contract you'd have roughly 30 mil to play with, you might have enough money to offer contracts to Love AND another big contract.  Or just use the remaining salary to sign someone like Wes Matthews or Afflalo.   Or end up with a roster that is like PG - Rondo, SG - Afflao, SF - Matthews, PF - Greg Monroe - C - COusins. 

Who knows.  But there's a long shot scenario where I'd bring back Rajon.  I'm also offering a contract to Paul Pierce to come off my bench.  And though he's going to stay in  Minny, I'd offer a min contract to KG out of respect. 

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
That team wouldnt win 40 games...  no spacing...too many primadonnas and one-dimensional players.  No thanks  (x 50)

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 06:54:29 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I'm seriously interested to see how many fans actually want Boston to sign him as a free agent after spending some time away from him.  If Smart excels or the Mavs struggle to adapt to a Rondo-centric offense, It will be fascinating to see how fans here react if Rondo hits free agency.

I'll admit I wouldn't mind him coming back (for the right price) but that money, big or small, would be better used elsewhere. Especially at the forward and center spots.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 07:12:45 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Now that Rondo has ruined the Mavericks, he is going on to the Lakers to ruin them.
It's all part of Danny's master plan.

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I'm seriously interested to see how many fans actually want Boston to sign him as a free agent after spending some time away from him.  If Smart excels or the Mavs struggle to adapt to a Rondo-centric offense, It will be fascinating to see how fans here react if Rondo hits free agency.

Coach killer  no thanks

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'd rather trade for the 2016 1st rd pick of whichever team he signs with.

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'd rather trade for the 2016 1st rd pick of whichever team he signs with.

LOL

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I love Rondo, but I don't see how he fits here, although I'd rather have him over Isaiah hero ball Thomas, lol.  Ugh.  No, the best fit for Rondo is Indiana, imo.  Paul George will absolutely love him.

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Nice try, Bill.

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Let me see if I understand the strategy:

1. Throw various half-baked predictions against CB wall;
2. Wait several months;
3. Go back and cherry-pick your predictions that turned out to be more correct than wrong;
4. Bump your threads and be all, "Look at me I'm $%&#!$ Nostradamus!"
There's no prediction in this thread.  Just me declaring my undying support of Rondo the day he was traded.  I was looking forward to his failure in Dallas so that we could consider bringing him back on a bargain.   I'm less interested in having him come off our bench now that we have Thomas, but if Ainge takes a big trade swing this summer that leaves us needing a PG, I'd probably offer Rajon a contract.

I like that you are able to admit this and I agree. If Thomas and/or Smart are involved in a trade to bring in our 'big of the future', then I would love to have Rondo back at say $8-10M / yr over four years. It's likely that he will get a bigger pay day than this (even though people apparently think his Dallas 'failure' will lead to his permanent exit from the league - total overreaction) so it is probably moot, but Rondo is good and he plays even better when he is comfortable and has stars around him - this has been proven, regardless of what happened in Dallas.

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2015, 08:58:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I don't want to see Rajon Rondo back here. He did his time in BOS, contributed as a key player in attempted title runs, and won a Banner.

I wouldn't want him back here with this fickle fan base.

Some here totally discount what he did here, make up baseless reasons to undercut his time in BOS, ridicule those that support him.

He did his time here. Time to move on.

I wish him well wherever he lands. WHEREVER he lands.

But don't come back here. He deserves better.

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I don't want to see Rajon Rondo back here. He did his time in BOS, contributed as a key player in attempted title runs, and won a Banner.

I wouldn't want him back here with this fickle fan base.

Some here totally discount what he did here, make up baseless reasons to undercut his time in BOS, ridicule those that support him.

He did his time here. Time to move on.

I wish him well wherever he lands. WHEREVER he lands.

But don't come back here. He deserves better.
He deserves better? Are you kidding me? He got payed millions of dollars to play a game. He didn't deserve anything , but for years boston fans cheared for him at every turn I don't feel bad at all that people gave him grief as he has basically destroyed the last two teams he's played for.

I loved rondo. I thought he would put Dallas on his back in the playoffs. I hope he finds success in the res of his career but to say he deserves better? Not a chance.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm sorry to see Rondo struggle so mightily elsewhere, but I'm also tired of talking about him, and I certainly don't want another go on the Rondo-coaster. 

So please, no.  Let him sign elsewhere.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain