Author Topic: Bring Back Rondo!  (Read 13304 times)

Re: Bring Back Rondo!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
not in a million years...

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 03:37:16 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This summer.  Assuming he's not signing an extension with the Mavs, just bring him back as a free agent.  He can be an excellent change-of-pace backup for Marcus Smart.

what is wrong with you??

the answer is no.

Heh... I posted this thread the day of the Rondo trade.   I was so confident that Rondo was going to be a disaster in Dallas, that I automatically assumed he'd avoid signing an extension there and I figured we could sign him in the summer to be Smart's back-up. 

Now here we are a few months later and even the idea of Rondo as a back-up disgusts people.  Lol.   Fwiw, if we didn't already have Thomas, I'd be open to bringing Rondo back on a discount.  He's a quality PG in the right system.  If we make some big trade this summer involving a handful of players and find ourselves in need of a starting PG, I'd throw Rondo a nice 4 year 32 mil offer.  I don't think there's any way for him to fit in Brad's offense, though... so it's probably still a bad idea.

Definitely a bad idea. He just doesn't fit. I may still have been open to him returning at the time he was traded, but after the recent fiasco, no way.

And not to change the subject, but since you brought it up—I don't see Smart as a starting point guard. I'm not even sure he has the chops to be a backup point guard.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
This summer.  Assuming he's not signing an extension with the Mavs, just bring him back as a free agent.  He can be an excellent change-of-pace backup for Marcus Smart.
cb has now reached a new low.  :P

i blame this thread's resurrection on the recent thread about antoine. next will come the KG, pierce, and of course, gg threads...topped off by a "let's bring back perk, fork and all!" thread.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:53:43 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
But but...Rondo is washed up!  :-\

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't see the point in saying "Rondo is not a good fit for [insert team]'s system.  First Dallas was not a good fit, then today I see a thread about how Rondo shouldn't come back to Boston because he is not a good fit with Steven's system.  There is no system where a PG who can't shoot dribbles around and tries to control everything is a good fit.  It worked once in the history of the NBA when a guard like that had a chance to play on a team with 3 HOFers, at least it worked until the rest of the league figured out how to defend it.

It is moot anyway.  I don't believe that Rondo would come back to Boston for any offer.  He wants to showcase, not rebuild.  This is one break up that really is mutual.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:27:40 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let me see if I understand the strategy:

1. Throw various half-baked predictions against CB wall;
2. Wait several months;
3. Go back and cherry-pick your predictions that turned out to be more correct than wrong;
4. Bump your threads and be all, "Look at me I'm $%&#!$ Nostradamus!"

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 04:59:36 PM »

Online sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

2. Wait several months;
3. Go back and cherry-pick your predictions that turned out to be more correct than wrong;

What´s new for Mr.Know-it-all?

(The OP)

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 05:02:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

2. Wait several months;
There's no prediction in this thread.  Just me declaring my undying support of Rondo the day he was traded.  I was looking forward to his failure in Dallas so that we could consider bringing him back on a bargain.   I'm less interested in having him come off our bench now that we have Thomas, but if Ainge takes a big trade swing this summer that leaves us needing a PG, I'd probably offer Rajon a contract.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 05:13:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

2. Wait several months;

(The OP)

To be fair, this was also the guy saying Smart's ceiling is Noel's floor,  Smart  will never be as impactful throughout his career as Noel's rookie season, and none of these Cavs games have been "close" because they've been toying with us all game, though they're playing their Big 3 huge minutes. So, yeah, these kinds of ludicrous statements should be expected by now!  ;D

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »

Online sahara

• Jayson Tatum

2. Wait several months;

(The OP)

To be fair, this was also the guy saying Smart's ceiling is Noel's floor,  Smart  will never be as impactful throughout his career as Noel's rookie season, and none of these Cavs games have been "close" because they've been toying with us all game, though they're playing their Big 3 huge minutes. So, yeah, these kinds of ludicrous statements should be expected by now!  ;D

Well, he knows everything (including the future) concerning the Celtics. Who are we to disagree?

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I would gladly welcome Rondo back since he's my all time favorite Celtic (well besides from Pierce of course), but I doubt that it will happen. Rondo won't come back here if it means that he's going to back up Smart.. some team out there will offer him a starting job this off season.

But imagine how dumb the Mavs would look if we resigned Rondo this summer ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 05:27:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

2. Wait several months;

(The OP)

Well, he knows everything (including the future) concerning the Celtics. Who are we to disagree?

Yesterday I predicted the Celtics will move to Beijing by 2031 and sign one of Michael Jordan's adult clones. 

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2015, 05:41:16 PM »

Online sahara

• Jayson Tatum

2. Wait several months;

(The OP)

Yesterday I predicted the Celtics will move to Beijing by 2031 and sign one of Michael Jordan's adult clones.

Jesus man! I like your future better, in my (factual) dreams it was the Moscow Celtics!

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 05:42:05 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Rondo is still the perfect PG to lead a team of shooters through the playoffs
and finals.  But I agree he has to BE the system.  Just give him full control of the offense.

This Dallas team has shot pretty horribly and has no defense (Rondo and Chandler and that's it on that end).  Rondo was not a horrible fit with the Dallas players but he WAS a horrible fit with Coach Carlisle and his system.  Also not good for Brad Steven's system. 

But there are plenty of teams with good shooting that could and will benefit from a Rondo-centric offense in the future, especially in the playoffs when the half court and defense starts to rule the day more.  I agree with those who think Sacramento a good fit.

We trade Olynyk and Bradley and our 2015 second rounders for a 2016 first (pick 10-12?) and Stauskas

Rondo
Maclemore, Bradley
Gay,
Olynyk, Porzingis
Cousins

That team is a nice engine for Rondo to drive.