Author Topic: jeff green is gone right?  (Read 12415 times)

Re: jeff green is gone right?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 11:14:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
so what can we get for jeff green?

Green is staying a little longer. Danny imo is going to try to resign him first. Or wait to get overpaid.   We will have a huge hole at the sf spot if Green was gone

As usual, your logic is illogical. Why would Danny try to resign Green after moving Rondo? It's a pretty similar situation;  both 28 and in the final year of their deals. I don't see Danny willing to pony up $13m+ per year to resign him and I don't see Jeff agreeing to waste the rest of his prime on a lottery team.

BC Green is better than Rondo. He actually "fits" with this unit.

Oh boy. You're in for a rude awakening.

I'm a realist - I loved Rondo but back during the off season, I predicted Dallas as a serious suitor and great fit for him. The realist in me again is saying Jeff is gone before the deadline. Ainge is about to bottom out. Being an 8th seed in today's nba is basically purgatory. You either have to be competing for championships or hoping for a high lottery pick, there's no award for being in between.

Jeff's 28 and probably up for the biggest payday of his career this offseason. It makes no sense to commit longterm money to him and it makes no sense for him to commit his prime to a losing situation.

the bolded area is horse****.  Tommy also would highly disapprove of your logic

You BUILD/GROW as a team 1st.  Spurs have been doing it for years. Now look at teams like the Raptors, Hawks, Suns.

Maybe you are one or two players short of having a chance to win, but when you get those players ,  you already have a foundation built.  The 2008 celtics situation is a once in a lifetime thing.   

You usually can't "cheat" to the top.  Get those draft picks year after year and you become like the next Jazz or 76ers.  You need to build a solid base to grow from 1st

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 11:16:27 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Maybe Danny was just clearing potential salary so that he can give Green a max contract.  :P

Maybe, maybe...he's preparing to clear the salary space and get a new "big 3" "NWW": Nelson, Wright and Wallace ... in order to "get" the "ring" of the middle finger ???...

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:58 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Green is staying a little longer. Danny imo is going to try to resign him first. Or wait to get overpaid.   We will have a huge hole at the sf spot if Green was gone

As usual, your logic is illogical. Why would Danny try to resign Green after moving Rondo? It's a pretty similar situation;  both 28 and in the final year of their deals. I don't see Danny willing to pony up $13m+ per year to resign him and I don't see Jeff agreeing to waste the rest of his prime on a lottery team.

This is a good point. Green's game fits in with the other players on this roster much more so than Rondo's game.

I still expect Jeff Green to be gone by the trade deadline because I believe some team will greatly value his scoring and defense as they load up for the playoffs. But if he's not, he fits with this unit quite well.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 11:30:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I'm a realist - I loved Rondo but back during the off season, I predicted Dallas as a serious suitor and great fit for him. The realist in me again is saying Jeff is gone before the deadline. Ainge is about to bottom out. Being an 8th seed in today's nba is basically purgatory. You either have to be competing for championships or hoping for a high lottery pick, there's no award for being in between.

Jeff's 28 and probably up for the biggest payday of his career this offseason. It makes no sense to commit longterm money to him and it makes no sense for him to commit his prime to a losing situation.

You BUILD/GROW as a team 1st.  Spurs have been doing it for years. Now look at teams like the Raptors, Hawks, Suns.

Maybe you are one or two players short of having a chance to win, but when you get those players ,  you already have a foundation built.  The 2008 celtics situation is a once in a lifetime thing.   

You usually can't "cheat" to the top.  Get those draft picks year after year and you become like the next Jazz or 76ers.  You need to build a solid base to grow from 1st

The Spurs have Tim Duncan - who they get with the #1 overall pick. Easy to build a base around the best PF in history.

The Hawks are the definition of a treadmill team - they're nowhere near contention but aren't in position to get high level young talent. They're a mid level team continuously adding midlevel talent.

The Suns missed the playoffs last year, and they'll probably miss the playoffs this year again - especially with KD and Westbrook back for okc.

The Raptors went through a ton of badness before they got better. The high draft picks is how they got guys line DeRozan and Valenciunas.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 11:31:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

This is a good point. Green's game fits in with the other players on this roster much more so than Rondo's game.

I still expect Jeff Green to be gone by the trade deadline because I believe some team will greatly value his scoring and defense as they load up for the playoffs. But if he's not, he fits with this unit quite well.

Unless Danny gets overpaid , he is going to hang onto Green at least until the deadline.  Green, Sullinger, Turner's agent is Falk. Falk has a good relationship with Ainge.  Falk also is the agent for Monroe , Hibbert and Porter i believe .  These gtown guys are all close.   So yeah Green could be kept bc his ability to attract his friends/FA

Green is also close to AB .  I think a reasonable deal can be worked out with Green. Something like 13 million per year for 4 years. We will see what happens but there is no urgency to trade Green right now. We don't have a SF like a Marcus Smart ready to take over

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 11:32:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Green is thriving this year, but do we have the assets right now to make him part of a contending team, like when we had Pierce in '07?  No.  That is why it is inevitable that he will be moved.  Probably for a late first round pick.  Houston's first round pick from LA (they apparently like Green)?

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The Spurs have Tim Duncan - who they get with the #1 overall pick. Easy to build a base around the best PF in history.

The Hawks are the definition of a treadmill team - they're nowhere near contention but aren't in position to get high level young talent. They're a mid level team continuously adding midlevel talent.

The Suns missed the playoffs last year, and they'll probably miss the playoffs this year again - especially with KD and Westbrook back for okc.

The Raptors went through a ton of badness before they got better. The high draft picks is how they got guys line DeRozan and Valenciunas.

Duncan is 37 years old.  He is not a #1 talent anymore.  That spurs team is old. But bc they have a strong base, guys like Joseph, Baynes etc can excel.

Hawks are one legit talent away from being a dangerous team. Imagine if they got to sign a Lebron or Gasol? 

Raptors right now should not be winning without Derozan but they are . Again bc of their base.

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I actually fully expect a better return from Green than we got from Rondo. While there are a number of star-type PGs in the league, there are actually very few SFs. I thought that all it would take was two teams to fight it out for Rondo - apparently there was only one.

With Green, I expect a lot more teams have reasonable interest in him. A mid-range pick (the Mavs pick will probably be low), young player with possible potential (Wright is already past 'potential'), and an expiring (Nelson has a player option for 15-16) would make the most sense.

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 11:37:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Green is thriving this year, but do we have the assets right now to make him part of a contending team, like when we had Pierce in '07?  No.  That is why it is inevitable that he will be moved.  Probably for a late first round pick.  Houston's first round pick from LA (they apparently like Green)?

It's tricky with Green unlike with Rondo. Green has never said he wants MAx. He fits with this unit

Again we don't have a Marcus Smart waiting to take over the sf spot.  We can sign him to 3 to 4 years, wait until young develops or draft a nice SF  and give them time to develop.

If Green does not want part of this and wants to win right now, then fine. He has not indicated this though

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 11:59:10 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Trade Proposal:

Boston Sends: Green, Zeller, Cleveland 2016 2nd Round pick
Boston Receives: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies 2015 1st (from Cleveland), Celtics 2016 2nd Rd pick (via Grizzlies)

Memphis Sends: Kostas Koufos, Tayshaun Prince, 2016 Celtics 2nd Rd pick
Memphis Receives: Jeff Green, Tyler Zeller, 2016 Wizards 2nd Rd pick (protected by the Wizards picks 31-49 in 2nd Rd)

Cleveland Sends: Waiters, Haywood (10.5 mil, can be waived so essientially an expiring deal), Grizzlies 2015 1st Rd pick.
Cleveland Receives: Kosta Koufos, Tayshaun Prince, Cleveland 2016 2nd Rd pick (from Boston).

I do not like this trade but then I am a Celtics fan and not a Cav fan!

Not sure what you mean by your comment but Celtics getting Waiters, Haywood's expiring, a 2015 Memphis pick, & their 2016 second rd pick back for Green & Zeller & a Cleveland 2nd rounder seems like a great return to me. Keep in mind Green has the right to opt out of his contract, so essentially his contract could be an expiring. I'm willing to bet he opts into his last year to play for a contender like Memphis and waits until 2016 to be a free agent when the cap goes up even more due to the new TV deal.

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Not sure why we have to trade Green unless he wants out or we can get back good value, no more picks I'm not interested in that.

Tanking doesn't guarantee us anything we've been down that road and we get screwed in the lottery every time.

Cap space doesn't guarantee us anything either, we need talent. The best way to get talent is what Dallas just did to us. Trade a group or players for one good player, and keep doing that until we get all-star talent.

Now if Danny trades Green for a young guy that he thinks will be better than Green in a couple of years I'm fine with that.

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2014, 09:39:32 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I think this is what the Rondo trade was really all about.  With Rondo gone, Ainge now has a lot less pressure on him to make other deals.  With Wright, Bass and Thornton coming off the books, Ainge could let them walk, resign Green at $15 mil a year and still be about $13 mil under the cap.

So Ainge should be able to beat any competitive offer for Green.  He could also probably keep Bass and Wright or chase a mid-level FA.  And that's with multiple 1st round picks coming in the next draft and without stapling a pick to Wallace to move him and get even further under the cap.

My initial thought was trading Rondo, especially for a poor return, was the start of a blow up.  Now I think Ainge has the freedom to either get good deals with his other assets or stand pat.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
At some point the merry go round has to stop.This also is not good for the young players.There has to be a blend and a sense of pride being a celtic,otherwise what is going to hold these players we develop.Maybe brad stevens.I would hate hearing "love boston and organization  but it's just buisness".Along with all those banners came retired numbers.Rondo had to go but Green.NO WAY

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

It's tricky with Green unlike with Rondo. Green has never said he wants MAx. He fits with this unit

Again we don't have a Marcus Smart waiting to take over the sf spot.  We can sign him to 3 to 4 years, wait until young develops or draft a nice SF  and give them time to develop.

If Green does not want part of this and wants to win right now, then fine. He has not indicated this though

Unless Green agrees to home town discount (and I doubt that he would), he will accept the best deal he can find. He is averaging 20 a game for us.  Look what Gordon Hayward got last off-season for averaging 16 PPG: MAX CONTRACT @ nearly $16mm per year.  Green entitled to more than that, I believe, since his years in the league is longer.  I could see several stupid owners trying offering Green well above what he is worth to the Celtics, and Danny probably knows this as well, which is why I think he will likely end up trading him before the deadline. But I agree with you, he won't give him away. 

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I have read that Ainge made this trade with greatest respect to rondo and it just confirmed the celtics respect for  all those players in past for what they gave on and off court.