Author Topic: Time to get REALLY excited about the 2015 draft  (Read 3883 times)

Time to get REALLY excited about the 2015 draft
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The return for Rondo was just horrid- but Ainge took what was the best trade package available.
He didn't want long term salary coming back.

My opinion on Ainge's logic is that he felt that another star was unattainable and that Rondo wanted too much money- or he just didn't have any guarantee that Rondo was coming back.

He'd rather get a top 3 pick instead of letting Rondo play the rest of the season and hurt our draft chances.

I'm assuming he's got deals for Green and Bass lined up.

The race for Okafur begins and personally I'm really excited.
Losing the face of our franchise sucks but this is a new beginning with Stevens, Smart, Sully and Olynk and most likely one of the following....It's really the only thing we can look forward to for now. That and the development of Marcus Smart. Fingers crossed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McEb7XZM3IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuhiL9lJnGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCWUT06BX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64a62iEdAY8

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Time to get REALLY excited about the 2015 draft
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
The return for Rondo was just horrid- but Ainge took what was the best trade package available.

My opinion on Ainge's logic is that he felt that another star was unattainable and that Rondo wanted too much money- or he just didn't have any guarantee that Rondo was coming back.

He'd rather get a top 3 pick instead of letting Rondo play the rest of the season and hurt our draft chances.

Losing the face of our franchise sucks but this is a new beginning with Stevens, Smart, Sully and Olynk and most likely one of the following....It's really the only thing we can look forward to for now. That and the development of Marcus Smart. Fingers crossed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McEb7XZM3IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCWUT06BX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64a62iEdAY8

I don't really get how anyone can get excited about us potentially getting a top 3 pick. There are soooo many crappy teams with the same idea. Also, if sully, ko and Smart are actually quality NBA players they are not going to lead us to a 13-45 record the rest of the year which may still not be bad enough for top 3

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:21:47 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Right now our chances of a top- 3 draft are ... 4%
http://www.tankathon.com/
If we are racing to the bottom, we are late comers in a game where other teams have by now established a significant advantage. NO way we can compete with the losing streak of Philly, NYK and Detroit. A bad, bad decision.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 07:22:24 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
the Celtics don't draft that well...and they never keep the people they draft anyway.....this is just a big bag of suck.....like paying Bradley 10 million.......another dumb move...he ismn't even half as good as tony allen, yet they paid him more for doing less...hows that 6 for 20 shooting doing us......oh wait, it is rondo fault....

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »

Offline Hunty

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
First Post!

How many first round draft picks do we have at the moment!

Is it 4 first round and 2 second rounds?

Then you look to 2016 and we have options with trading picks there aswell!

Not all doom and gloom!

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
First Post!

Not all doom and gloom!
Sure, in a couple of years we will be where Philly is now.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 07:29:21 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
the Celtics don't draft that well...and they never keep the people they draft anyway.....this is just a big bag of suck.....like paying Bradley 10 million.......another dumb move...he ismn't even half as good as tony allen, yet they paid him more for doing less...hows that 6 for 20 shooting doing us......oh wait, it is rondo fault....

Well said, TP.  Do not get excited about the draft - it's a waste of time.  We're not getting any of those players.  It always works out one of two ways for us - either we get screwed in the lottery, or we actually get the chance to take a good player and Danny selects a guy who won't even be in the league in two years.  It really is like Charlie Brown and the football with him.  I was angry and upset after he traded Pierce and KG, and I knew that this would happen (getting a bag of peanuts for a legend), but I am so enraged right now that I can't even put it into words.  Ainge Sucks.  I just want someone to say this to Danny, right before they castrate him -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0gRdA2QjI
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:24:54 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
First Post!

Not all doom and gloom!

Exactly.  We are in for a really long rebuild now.  Unfortunately, being one of the worst 3-4 teams in the league is going to be a serious challenge even after gutting our roster.  At this point, it will probably take all 3 of our first round picks to move up into the top 3, maybe even more than that.  All for a chance to roll the dice on an unproven rookie.  Joy joy.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »

Offline Hunty

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
First Post!

Not all doom and gloom!

We have been in transition for ages, Rondo must have made his mind up that he wasnt staying and we got what we could for him!

Young Smart and Olynk have a bright future, we just need to get there!

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:34:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

Well said, TP.  Do not get excited for the draft - it's a waste of time.  We're not getting any of those players.  It always works out one of two ways for us - either we get screwed in the lottery, or we actually get the chance to take a good player and Danny selects a guy who won't even be in the league in two years.  It really is like Charlie Brown and the football with him.  I was angry and upset after he traded Pierce and KG, and I knew that this would happen (getting a bag of peanuts for a legend), but I am so enraged right now that I can't even put it into words.  Ainge Sucks.  I just want someone to say this to Danny, right before they castrate him -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0gRdA2QjI

But you have to admit that the Brooklyn deal was soooooo much better than this. This is just an abomination.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
First Post!

Not all doom and gloom!

We have been in transition for ages, Rondo must have made his mind up that he wasnt staying and we got what we could for him!

Young Smart and Olynk have a bright future, we just need to get there!
Pass the puff...

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Get excited about what? The #8 pick at best? Please. We're not getting anywhere close to the top 3.

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Get excited about what? The #8 pick at best? Please. We're not getting anywhere close to the top 3.
THANK YOU

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
There are some excellent players at the top of the draft who I am excited to see enter the NBA but I am not expecting Boston to get them. It's possible but not likely and spending a whole year hoping for that possibility is mind-numbing.

There are also some very good players in next 4-5 picks beyond the top 3 that I do expect Boston to have a high likelihood of getting one of those guys. So that is good.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Right now there's a lot of emotion which is the way it should be- we just lost our best player and franchise guy.

Looking at this long term though, we'd have to assume that Green and Bass are goners too. That will leave us with a line up of:

Smart, Nelson
Bradley, Thornton, Young
Turner, Wallace,
Olynyk, Sully, Crowder
Wright, Zeller

That squad is 4 wins ahead of Detroit right now. If we deal Bass and Green now before this easy stretch of games continues, we don't get more than 6 wins ahead of Detroit or New York and by the end of the season we are below them.

Once Bass and Green are gone we are worse than the Knicks. Far worse. We are also worse than the Pistons and arguably worse than the Wolves.

Mark my words we will be competing for a top 3 pick. It's the entire reason Ainge has moved Rondo now. He could've waited till the trade deadline and gotten the same deal- but he has his sights set on one or two guys in this draft at positions of need.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.