Author Topic: Goodbye Rondo, goodbye Boston Celtics.  (Read 7063 times)

Re: Goodbye Rondo, goodbye Boston Celtics.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 11:16:16 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
You support the shirt, not the players.

The shirt's not worth a [dang] if the players suck.

I beg to differ. If you only want to support a contending team then why bother choosing a team to begin with. Just support whoever is doing well every year.

The club is bigger than its players.

You don't just support winners, but you don't blindly accept losers and put up with a team full of steaming piles, either.  The second part is what homer fans forget.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 11:17:20 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

I beg to differ. If you only want to support a contending team then why bother choosing a team to begin with. Just support whoever is doing well every year.

You don't just support winners, but you don't blindly accept losers and put up with a team full of steaming piles, either.  The second part is what homer fans forget.

So proper fans stop going when the going gets tough?

That sounds awfully Miami Heat-ish to me.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
You just lost a fan.

Do not cry...God will bless DA..."Laudetus Jesus Angius"...Amen

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 11:23:12 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I think the OP is just p---ed off because Ainge just gave the Celts ONLY assest away for a bag of balls.

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 11:30:56 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen

There is no such thing as a proper fan.  The whole concept is nonsense.  You're not a "proper fan" because you're willing to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on a garbage product.  You're just a consumer who's willing to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on a garbage product. 

And, as Bruins homers found out for years, and Cubs homers have been finding out for more than 100 years, when you accept crap teams from your ownership, you get a lot of crap teams and still have to pay for it.  Homers like to pretend that some badge of honor.  Outside the sporting world, it's generally known as being a sucker.

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

There is no such thing as a proper fan.  The whole concept is nonsense.  You're not a "proper fan" because you're willing to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on a garbage product.  You're just a consumer who's willing to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on a garbage product. 

And, as Bruins homers found out for years, and Cubs homers have been finding out for more than 100 years, when you accept crap teams from your ownership, you get a lot of crap teams and still have to pay for it.  Homers like to pretend that some badge of honor.  Outside the sporting world, it's generally known as being a sucker.

That's one way of thinking of it if you see supporting a sports team as a purely rational, economic transaction.

If that's the case, there are probably a billion better places to spend your money to begin with. You don't go watch sports because you want value for money.

I can accept divorcing your team if the ownership clearly has no intention of improving and is just hellbent on swindling the fans. That is most certainly not the case with the Celtics.

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:36 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen

That's one way of thinking of it if you see supporting a sports team as a purely rational, economic transaction.

If that's the case, there are probably a billion better places to spend your money to begin with. You don't go watch sports because you want value for money.

I can accept divorcing your team if the ownership clearly has no intention of improving and is just hellbent on swindling the fans. That is most certainly not the case with the Celtics.

It's not about seeing supporting a sports team as a purely rational, economic transaction.  It's about living in the real world.  You're not a ""proper" fan because you own season tickets.  You're not a "proper" fan because you buy jerseys (which would be player, not team, by the way).  You're not a "proper" fan because you're willing to put up with a garbage product on the floor.

No matter how far up the homer ladder you climb, you're still just a fan. 

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't like what we got for Rondo in return.  But the writing was on the wall.  I was prepared to see him go.  Ever since we drafted Smart... and Smart panned out well it was just a matter of time.  And it happened.

If losing one player is enough for you to stop watching the team, doesn't sound like you were a true fan of the team.

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 11:47:10 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

It's not about seeing supporting a sports team as a purely rational, economic transaction.  It's about living in the real world.  You're not a ""proper" fan because you own season tickets.  You're not a "proper" fan because you buy jerseys (which would be player, not team, by the way).  You're not a "proper" fan because you're willing to put up with a garbage product on the floor.

What you call homerism I call loyalty, and you're basically saying that loyalty has zero value.

I don't think sports is the right hobby for you.

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 11:53:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I don't like what we got for Rondo in return.  But the writing was on the wall.  I was prepared to see him go.  Ever since we drafted Smart... and Smart panned out well it was just a matter of time.  And it happened.

If losing one player is enough for you to stop watching the team, doesn't sound like you were a true fan of the team.

Oh the writing has been on the wall for quite some time now, but not for Rondo.

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Been a fan for 40 years.  Players come and go.

Joe Lieberman - is that you?

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:44 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen

What you call homerism I call loyalty, and you're basically saying that loyalty has zero value.

What you call Loyalty is just your attempt to justify bashing others for not accepting the same level of incompetence you accept. 

As for my sports fandom, I've got over 2000 posts here, despite my leaving this board not long after the changeover.  You can feel free to ask Roy Hobbs about the intensity of my fandom, if you wish. 

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 12:00:11 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

What you call Loyalty is just your attempt to justify bashing others for not accepting the same level of incompetence you accept. 

As for my sports fandom, I've got over 2000 posts here, despite my leaving this board not long after the changeover.  You can feel free to ask Roy Hobbs about the intensity of my fandom, if you wish.

If your argument is that we should stop supporting the team when it doesn't have good players, then your number of points means very little to me.

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
We were bad with Rondo.  WE will be bad without Rondo. 

He was going to leave this summer anyways.  Good to get a late 1st.

It will take a little while, but eventually a lot of the homers who have overrated Rondo for years will start to see him for what he actually was.  I'll actually miss Rondo... but I will not miss my many debates where I stood by the fact that Rondo's trade value was minimal.   The debate is over... his trade value was minimal.

And what is that, exactly?

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 12:01:32 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I think the OP is just p---ed off because Ainge just gave the Celts ONLY assest away for a bag of balls.

That would have been a decidedly better haul.