Poll

Do u like the Rondo to Mavs trade?

Yes
28 (23.7%)
No
90 (76.3%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?  (Read 15215 times)

Re: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I actually got a little misty eyed when it was first announced.  :'(

It was like if the Celtics decided to do a complete rebuild after Bill Russell retired and traded John Havlicek.

« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2014, 10:30:11 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Not buying it. Not buying it at all.  In the business world they tell you the best indicator of future performance is past performance. That would lead you to Rondo continuing to be one of the best pgs in the game and Smart being horrid and Rondo signing for a reasonable deal

You defeat yourself with your own words. You ignored or made up "past performance" in all 3 of your statements.

Rondo isn't one of the "best PGs in the game" anymore. He may not even be a top 10 PG anymore. Recent performance suggests the Rondo isn't the same player (or isn't putting forth the same effort). His recent performance has been less than stellar. You can't point to Rondo from 4 years ago and project his future performance any more than you can point to Larry Bird in 1985 and project he'd score 25 ppg next year. You use the recent data and the recent data suggests that Rondo is no longer elite. Maybe he needs more time back. Maybe he needs a change of scenery. Maybe he needs All-Stars around him to perform at his best. But PAST PERFORMANCE of Rondo with this squad isn't very good.

There's not even enough PAST PERFORMANCE to project Smart's future performance. He's had 164 minutes of court time. Not even the best talent scouts can project someone off of 164 minutes. But I'm more confident in what Danny and Brad have seen in practice than I am in your breezy dismissal of a player after 164 minutes of court time.

The PAST PERFORMANCE of Rondo's contract are the statements of Danny and Rondo. From everything we have heard, Rondo was looking for a max or near-max contract. Want to pay that for a PG who may not even be a top-10 PG in this league? I don't. I guess Danny didn't either.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2014, 10:32:41 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I hated it at first but then when I found out the protection of the picks it made me feel better.

We will have the assets to make trades and a ton of picks going forward.

We already have this, Evan, with Rondo.

We could have flipped those and add better talent with Rondo. Instead we traded him, and we didn't even get a good enough asset in return.
Actually we will be better without Rondo, and i think the Coach,Danny and Wyc knows it too

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Not buying it. Not buying it at all.  In the business world they tell you the best indicator of future performance is past performance. That would lead you to Rondo continuing to be one of the best pgs in the game and Smart being horrid and Rondo signing for a reasonable deal

You defeat yourself with your own words. You ignored or made up "past performance" in all 3 of your statements.

Rondo isn't one of the "best PGs in the game" anymore. He may not even be a top 10 PG anymore. Recent performance suggests the Rondo isn't the same player (or isn't putting forth the same effort). His recent performance has been less than stellar. You can't point to Rondo from 4 years ago and project his future performance any more than you can point to Larry Bird in 1985 and project he'd score 25 ppg next year. You use the recent data and the recent data suggests that Rondo is no longer elite. Maybe he needs more time back. Maybe he needs a change of scenery. Maybe he needs All-Stars around him to perform at his best. But PAST PERFORMANCE of Rondo with this squad isn't very good.

There's not even enough PAST PERFORMANCE to project Smart's future performance. He's had 164 minutes of court time. Not even the best talent scouts can project someone off of 164 minutes. But I'm more confident in what Danny and Brad have seen in practice than I am in your breezy dismissal of a player after 164 minutes of court time.

The PAST PERFORMANCE of Rondo's contract are the statements of Danny and Rondo. From everything we have heard, Rondo was looking for a max or near-max contract. Want to pay that for a PG who may not even be a top-10 PG in this league? I don't. I guess Danny didn't either.

PRESENT PERFORMANCE shows that Rondo is so far leading the league in assists and leading all point guards in rebounding.

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

PRESENT PERFORMANCE shows that Rondo is so far leading the league in assists and leading all point guards in rebounding.

What are his current shooting percentages from 2 pt to 3 pt to free throws?  How many
times a game is he getting to the line?

« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2014, 10:45:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Trading a guy who has been with us that long  and whom I an attached too is never easy for me.  It was harder for me losing PP but I knew it was time.  Perk, I got over quickly but it was real hard on some guys here.   KG felt like a rental but while here he was one of my favs.   I hated Ray the way he left.  I would rate this loss below PP and KG but to me Rondo is ahead of Perk whom hurt me the least.

That is thinking with my heart.   With my head, PP was getting old, KG was old, Perk was always hurt and Rondo did bounce all the back nor can he carry a team.   All the max contract talk scared me because I never though he was a max guy because of the lack of a shot.

It was like if the Celtics decided to do a complete rebuild after Bill Russell retired and traded John Havlicek.

This comparison is way off, see where Havlicek ranks in rings and stats on the C's before you diminish him so much.  Rondo was a great C but not even close to Hondo.  Hondo is on the Celtics Mount Rushmore with Russell and Bird and Pierce.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:54:05 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2014, 07:46:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

What are his current shooting percentages from 2 pt to 3 pt to free throws?  How many
He knows he's not a great shooter which is why he.....waaaiiittt for it...drum roll please....PASSES THE BALL! Can you believe that? An NBA point guard who actually makes a play and passes the ball to an open teammate and gets a teammate open? Unbelieveable isn't it? Who would have ever thought? A guy that actually makes players around him better by passing.

« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2014, 07:50:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Danny was on his knees the whole time.

« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2014, 07:57:03 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

He knows he's not a great shooter which is why he.....waaaiiittt for it...drum roll please....PASSES THE BALL! Can you believe that? An NBA point guard who actually makes a play and passes the ball to an open teammate and gets a teammate open? Unbelieveable isn't it? Who would have ever thought? A guy that actually makes players around him better by passing.

Do you seriously believe that a player can be properly evaluated by assessing one skill alone?  Do NBA players not have to also dribble, shoot, rebound, defend, etc.?  Surely you're not that much of a simpleton...??!

« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Do you seriously believe that a player can be properly evaluated by assessing one skill alone?  Do NBA players not have to also dribble, shoot, rebound, defend, etc.?  Surely you're not that much of a simpleton...??!

You could say the same things about his weaknesses

« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2014, 10:11:31 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
This thing where people are saying we had to trade him because we were going to lose him for nothing....I want to offer you all a nickel for your house. You aren't getting any other offers.

Dallas is the carpetbagger here.

Danny is the guy who sold all his stock after the great crash. He's a pauper now.

That's not a proper analogy. The right analogy would be offering a nickel for your house thats going to be foreclosed.

I dont like the trade, but I get why it happened. I think Danny knew if he cant put together a contender, rondo is gonna leave. And he'd rather much avoid losing Rondo for nothing (see Lakers and Dwight Howard) and take what's the best offer he can get. Was it the right deal? Was it the right timing? We dont know, we can only speculate, but we dont have the information Danny had.

I just wonder what wouldve happened if the Curry for Rondo trade a few years ago pushed through.

« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2014, 01:39:11 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Yes, you could.  Rondo is a player with great, unique strengths, but also some pronounced weaknesses. 

« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Yes, you could.  Rondo is a player with great, unique strengths, but also some pronounced weaknesses.

Then you should analyze all aspects of his game, rather than just condemning him for things he cannot do well.