Poll

Do u like the Rondo to Mavs trade?

Yes
28 (23.7%)
No
90 (76.3%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?  (Read 15172 times)

Re: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2014, 09:06:54 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
It could have been worse ......if Lakers got Rondo .....and then got Durant because of it.

I can not think of a worse deal ever or poorly done trade .

Red Auerbach flipped in his grave over this .

I'm scared Tommy maybe in the hospital .

I'm all for firing Danny .
Besides the gin I'm going to give you a coping idea I've made up in my head.
Ainge and rondo have been discussing the trade for awhile and it was a mutual thing.  Ainge gave rondo some choices of where he wanted to go.  Rondo had Dallas on his list.  Need a point guard and rondo would make them one of the best starting five in league.  So rondo has a very good chance at winning title.  We got the bad end of trade because ainge was going out of his way to help rondo.
Pause....poor gin and tonic

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
It's not hyperbole. Find me a worse trade. I can't think of one. Hyperbole would be like if I compared it to the plague or something.

Some trade has to be the worst and I think this is a candidate.

In your last post, you said that this trade reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of dealing. You do understand that Ainge is well aware that this makes this team worse, right? Or that not every deal is made to make both teams better immediately? What this trade does demonstrate is that the team has a very good fundamental understanding of the business of the NBA.

Oh and to answer your challenge...

Celtics

1.) Look up the Vin Baker trade, how did that work out for the Celtics?
2.) The Joe Johnson trade
3.) The Chauncey Billups trade
4.) Danny Ainge for Joe Kleine and Ed Pinckney

Red Sox

1.) Babe Ruth
2.) Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen

Bruins
1.) The Joe Thornton trade

That literally took me 45 seconds to think of those. I'm sure I could come up with more.
be sure to throw nomar in there....ooops.  ;D

but my real point in this post is to say that the pool needs a third option - "cant decide until i see the results at the end of the season."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
You know this feels like the Walker trade (trade 1). I really felt the Walker trade was a waste. You scratch your head as to what DA was thinking. DA and his supporters try to spin it as it's the best they could do. Doesn't mean it's a good trade people.

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I think it's probably the worst deal in the history of the Celtics and 2nd worst in the history of Boston sports. I just can't think of lots worse. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of dealing.

I love this deal. One step closer to Okafor.
Keep dreaming. The Celts have never moved up in the lottery ever. They have only moved down. Say hello to Oliver Hanlan or something

You have demonstrated a "fundamental misunderstanding" of odds and statistics. Statistics do not attach themselves to personally observed patterns or curses or whatever you are speaking of.

The worst team in the NBA has a 25% chance of winning the lottery whether that team is Cleveland or Boston.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:09 PM »

Offline celtics24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 10
I could kinda understand the huge KG /Piece contracts and their ages.

This is so stupid it defies comprehension .

So maybe there is MORE to the  story.

Rondo look sick and ready to cry after the game .

So.....was Stevens behind the demise of Rondo.....well he had to agree ....or want it .......if Stevens wants Rondo ....why would DA let him go?

Danny panicked ......really bent the Celtic fans over on this one .

I would be really happy to see him run out of Town .
yes i couldnt believe he traded rondo if your not getting anything worthwile in return then just keep rondo on the team and see what happens in free agency instead of trading him for peanuts

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2014, 09:11:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
You know this feels like the Walker trade (trade 1). I really felt the Walker trade was a waste. You scratch your head as to what DA was thinking. DA and his supporters try to spin it as it's the best they could do. Doesn't mean it's a good trade people.

Yup ...but most of the supporters of dumping rondo for peanuts don't remember it.

This tine he's went to far......he has hung himself ......don't see him pulling a rabbit out of the hat

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2014, 09:12:04 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think it's probably the worst deal in the history of the Celtics and 2nd worst in the history of Boston sports. I just can't think of lots worse. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of dealing.

I love this deal. One step closer to Okafor.
Keep dreaming. The Celts have never moved up in the lottery ever. They have only moved down. Say hello to Oliver Hanlan or something

You have demonstrated a "fundamental misunderstanding" of odds and statistics. Statistics do not attach themselves to personally observed patterns or curses or whatever you are speaking of.

The worst team in the NBA has a 25% chance of winning the lottery whether that team is Cleveland or Boston.
Actually I think you are showing a fundamental misunderstanding of odds. 25% likelihood of a good outcome isn't good. Further even if you actually get the top pick it is by no means a guarantee of a good player.

Whereas it was a 100% good player we had in our hands. You don't give someone a 100% very good player for like a 12.5% chance of a player who realistically probably won't be as good for years even if he is good.

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Rondo first round pick that we simply purchased from the Suns was likely higher than the one we are going to receive from the Mavs (and, no, I don't consider any of the players we received in the deal to be of any worth moving forward).

This seriously puts this into perspective.

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2014, 09:13:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This thing where people are saying we had to trade him because we were going to lose him for nothing....I want to offer you all a nickel for your house. You aren't getting any other offers.

Dallas is the carpetbagger here.

Danny is the guy who sold all his stock after the great crash. He's a pauper now.

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I voted "no" and I don't think that will change. I think DA could have gotten more in a trade, perhaps at the deadline.

That said, I don't hate the deal. I agree with what some posters have said that Rondo would still be with the team if the Cs could have landed Love or someone else over the summer. Once that didn't happen, it became clear Rondo would be traded, but it was also clear that we would have to wait until December for a trade(ie, teams wait until December when newly signed players can be traded and when teams have a better idea of their chances of winning).

So, why trade now? Well, one reason is that DA thought it was a decent haul, and perhaps "safe" given Rondos injury history. Also, it leaves enough time that Cs can trade again at Feb deadline.

So, I do see that there are many angles, and am still appreciating and digesting them. I just thought that Cs would be able to get more back.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

At least in this deal we didn't take on a near-max center with glass knees for the next five years. But in terms of value, we at least thought we were getting something back in LaFrentz. In this trade, we know for a fact that we got super-hosed.

One thing is for sure - Danny didn't like Antoine and apparently doesn't like Rondo (although, ironically he screwed over the Cs and their fans, but put him in an amazing situation).

Another quality Dallas trade  ::)

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If I'm Avery Bradley I'm asking for a trade. I want to play for a team that wants to win. I got a contract. I want out.

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Yup ...but most of the supporters of dumping rondo for peanuts don't remember it.

This tine he's went to far......he has hung himself ......don't see him pulling a rabbit out of the hat
And I was ok trading Rondo and rebuilding but wanted DA to get a good package or try a s&t at end of season if he had to. Just don't do a trade to do one.

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2014, 09:19:11 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21

Well let's go through these for a minute.

Was Joe Johnson one of the best players at his position? Was the guy we gave up for Vin Baker? Was Jeff Bagwell or Joe Thornton? Danny Ainge?  Chauncey took yeeeeeaaarrrsss to get good.

You have convinced me further I am right.

I don't see your point, who was one of the best players at his position in this trade?
Certainly not Rondo. Maybe in 2010. Not anymore. Rating in the 60th to 70th percentile at a position hardly qualifies as best.

If he was, do you honestly think Danny would have settled for this package?

Don't you think someone would have offered more if he was worth more? Do you really believe that Danny turned down better offers from other teams?

Why would he do that? He just woke up today and said "Hey screw it, I think I'm gonna bail on Rondo for flotsam and jetsam. Sure he's one of the best PG in the league, and everybody knows it, but I just need to get Jae Crowder."

Honestly its such an asinine point I'm done even discussing it. No kidding they didn't get much for him, but to declare it the worst trade while completely ignoring the reasoning behind it is rather baffling.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2014, 09:19:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
If I'm Avery Bradley I'm asking for a trade. I want to play for a team that wants to win. I got a contract. I want out.

I would be all for it - and I am sure we would get more value back for him. Not because he is a better player, but because this deal was SO bad.