Poll

Do u like the Rondo to Mavs trade?

Yes
28 (23.7%)
No
90 (76.3%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?  (Read 15221 times)

Re: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
Well ...when the owners see the empty seat,  lousy TV ratings , poor NBA novelty sales , etc , etc ....

Just stupid .....I have totally lost faith in the screwball.

Danny will be on a fast train out of Boston.

I think it should be safe to assume that Danny will not be going anywhere anytime soon. The very nature of this deal should tell you that they are gearing up for a long rebuild. Argue its merits all you want but this deal doesn't happen unless ownership is on board with it.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I like this trade when evaluating it on its merits alone. I am not going to get caught up in the mass hysteria that is enveloping this board right now. I don't think that Danny is an absolute fool who does not do his due diligence. So I am choosing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that this was the best package available at this time.

I am in the camp that Rondo was not going to resign here at the end of this year. That ship sailed when the Kevin Love pursuit went for naught. I believe their plan was a quick rebuild by adding a superstar to play with Rondo and realistically, Love was their only hope. So once again, we can blame Lebron for that.  ::)

I actually have more of an issue with that plan of attack. I never thought that was realistic then and I am even more angry now because I would have preferred they go the nuclear route by trading Rondo when they traded KG and Pierce. That didn't happen, and here we are now. So given the choice of a mediocre playoff pursuit with Rondo while hoping that he doesn't leave for nothing and the current route of taking what they can get for him and bottoming out even further, I would make the same trade.

The quickness of the trade indicates a couple of things to me:

1.  Rondo must have told Ainge to look at options now because it was doubtful that he would resign with the Celtics.

2.  Ainge intends to make more trades with the assets from this trade before the year is out.

We're 9-14 with him having multiple triple/double games (and others that were close).  Far enough in that both Rondo and Ainge could see the handwriting on the wall and look to do the best thing for both parties.  Sending Pierce/KG to the Nets and now Rondo to the Mavs at least gave/gives them a chance at a ring, which was obviously not going to happen in Celtic green.

As for the Celtics, my team is on the floor...welcome to the new guys, best of luck to Rondo and Powell.

Rak

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
as of 8:30 p.m. 59 no and 11 yes...not surprise at all...just mind blowing
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think it's probably the worst deal in the history of the Celtics and 2nd worst in the history of Boston sports. I just can't think of lots worse. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of dealing.

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I like this trade when evaluating it on its merits alone. I am not going to get caught up in the mass hysteria that is enveloping this board right now. I don't think that Danny is an absolute fool who does not do his due diligence. So I am choosing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that this was the best package available at this time.

I am in the camp that Rondo was not going to resign here at the end of this year. That ship sailed when the Kevin Love pursuit went for naught. I believe their plan was a quick rebuild by adding a superstar to play with Rondo and realistically, Love was their only hope. So once again, we can blame Lebron for that.  ::)

I actually have more of an issue with that plan of attack. I never thought that was realistic then and I am even more angry now because I would have preferred they go the nuclear route by trading Rondo when they traded KG and Pierce. That didn't happen, and here we are now. So given the choice of a mediocre playoff pursuit with Rondo while hoping that he doesn't leave for nothing and the current route of taking what they can get for him and bottoming out even further, I would make the same trade.

The quickness of the trade indicates a couple of things to me:

1.  Rondo must have told Ainge to look at options now because it was doubtful that he would resign with the Celtics.

2.  Ainge intends to make more trades with the assets from this trade before the year is out.

We're 9-14 with him having multiple triple/double games (and others that were close).  Far enough in that both Rondo and Ainge could see the handwriting on the wall and look to do the best thing for both parties.  Sending Pierce/KG to the Nets and now Rondo to the Mavs at least gave/gives them a chance at a ring, which was obviously not going to happen in Celtic green.

As for the Celtics, my team is on the floor...welcome to the new guys, best of luck to Rondo and Powell.

Rak

We knew that first point in the summer, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I like the trade more given the large trade exception. It gives the Cs a lot of flexibility at the trade deadline and next summer.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
love this trade for the Mavs.  they are going to be fun to watch.

also love this trade for my fantasy squad, just plucked Marcus Smart from the wire.

for the Celts, not so much.  its not that I don't like Wright-- he's a nice player who rarely gets hurt.  A true athlete for a big who has low mileage and could give us good mpg for years to come.  what I don't like is, we could have been one move away from putting a legit contender together WITH Rondo.  had we been dealing 1sts instead of hording them, we'd be better sooner. 

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 08:39:56 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
I think it's probably the worst deal in the history of the Celtics and 2nd worst in the history of Boston sports. I just can't think of lots worse. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of dealing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyperbole&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS490US490&oq=hyperbole&aqs=chrome..69i57.1577j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

It's not hyperbole. Find me a worse trade. I can't think of one. Hyperbole would be like if I compared it to the plague or something.

Some trade has to be the worst and I think this is a candidate.

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It could have been worse ......if Lakers got Rondo .....and then got Durant because of it.

I can not think of a worse deal ever or poorly done trade .

Red Auerbach flipped in his grave over this .

I'm scared Tommy maybe in the hospital .

I'm all for firing Danny .

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 08:57:51 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

I love this deal. One step closer to Okafor.

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 08:59:50 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
It's not hyperbole. Find me a worse trade. I can't think of one. Hyperbole would be like if I compared it to the plague or something.

In your last post, you said that this trade reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of dealing. You do understand that Ainge is well aware that this makes this team worse, right? Or that not every deal is made to make both teams better immediately? What this trade does demonstrate is that the team has a very good fundamental understanding of the business of the NBA.

Oh and to answer your challenge...

Celtics

1.) Look up the Vin Baker trade, how did that work out for the Celtics?
2.) The Joe Johnson trade
3.) The Chauncey Billups trade
4.) Danny Ainge for Joe Kleine and Ed Pinckney

Red Sox

1.) Babe Ruth
2.) Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen

Bruins
1.) The Joe Thornton trade

That literally took me 45 seconds to think of those. I'm sure I could come up with more.

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I love this deal. One step closer to Okafor.
Keep dreaming. The Celts have never moved up in the lottery ever. They have only moved down. Say hello to Oliver Hanlan or something

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

In your last post, you said that this trade reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of dealing. You do understand that Ainge is well aware that this makes this team worse, right? Or that not every deal is made to make both teams better immediately? What this trade does demonstrate is that the team has a very good fundamental understanding of the business of the NBA.

Celtics

Red Sox

1.) Babe Ruth

Bruins

That literally took me 45 seconds to think of those. I'm sure I could come up with more.

Well let's go through these for a minute.

Was Joe Johnson one of the best players at his position? Was the guy we gave up for Vin Baker? Was Jeff Bagwell or Joe Thornton? Danny Ainge?  Chauncey took yeeeeeaaarrrsss to get good.

You have convinced me further I am right.

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 09:04:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Celtics

Red Sox

1.) Babe Ruth

Bruins

Ahhh... each one was a dagger to my hearrtttt....