Poll

Do u like the Rondo to Mavs trade?

Yes
28 (23.7%)
No
90 (76.3%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?  (Read 15171 times)

Re: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:15 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
The trade.....not sure. The idea behind it....absolutely.

Draft picks and lottery balls will get us #18 faster than being the Hawks of 08-12.

Either contend or build. Anything else is just a waste.

Tell me how a pick in the 25-30 range is better than adding stars along with Rondo?

You can build a contender by keeping your stars and adding more quality players. We have the assets to do so. Instead we gave away our star and didnt even get a good asset in return.

I said draft and lottery. I have no desire to be in nba limbo. This isn't the NFL where you have talent that can make a meaningful impact to your team in most of the draft rounds.

I liked RR, but I think people are falling victim to the "he's our best player and every team will give what we want for him" syndrom.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
RR is currently a shadow of the player he used to be, and that, I'm sure, is why DA had to pull the trigger on this deal.  I predicted a week ago that if DA received a late 1st and some cap relief (yes, of course along with matching salaries) that might be all we could expect in return for a half-season of RR.  Seems to me that DA did pretty well considering that he was attempting to steal a pot with the trading equivalent of 7 - 5 unsuited...

The level of delusion on this board is frankly hilarious - read the "Fire Danny" comments from some of you... ;D  KingChre has nailed this, and posters like eja117 can run around screaming 'Bloody Murder' all they want, but how embarassing is that?! 

RR made great contributions to the Celtics and I will always retain my fond memories of him in green; however, I look forward to seeing the Mavs and Clips in the Western Finals.  If you are, as many of you claim, RR fans, sit back and enjoy his stewardship of the Mavs.  At least now he's got a real roster to work with and a chance to go deep into postseason play...

Three 1sts (including a top ten pick) and two 2nds, including Philly's?  We are very nicely situated to either make a big trade or select that seven foot rim protector we've been dreaming of.  Take a look at this draft class and you'll see that there could be six, seven, maybe even eight centers drafted in the 1st round alone.

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:04 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21

Tell me how a pick in the 25-30 range is better than adding stars along with Rondo?

You can build a contender by keeping your stars and adding more quality players. We have the assets to do so. Instead we gave away our star and didnt even get a good asset in return.

It obviously isn't but its also irrelevant because that was never the choice. It was no given that Rondo was going to re-sign here this summer and even less of a given that they would be able to add stars. It should be clear that their goal is another championship and not simply being a good team.

Honestly, the writing was on the wall for this move once Kevin Love went to Cleveland. It was good business practice to give the team a shot but it should be clear to everyone that this team is not a contender in its current state and isn't really that close.

There are no superstars available right now or on the immediate horizon and the risk of Rondo leaving for nothing is too great. His value isn't going up between now and the deadline and you are also risking him getting injured again and really being screwed. Trading him now gives them a little more flexibility at the deadline. It's not desirable for anyone to have to settle for this, but at this point, I don't think they really had a choice.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2014, 09:57:57 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard

No, here's this trade.

You've got a house with a huge balloon payment on the mortgage coming due in April (Rondo).

You just bought a cheap condo that's going to go up in value (Smart).

Ainge just unloaded the house and its huge balloon payment for the chance to buy another cheap condo that will go up in value.

Don't get me wrong.  This is a poor return for a player like Rondo. The way to get a better return, though, would have been to trade Rondo two years ago.  Who wanted to do that then?

Mike

This is the key for me. My gut opinion is that they believed they were very much in contention for Kevin Love right up until Lebron's decision. I don't agree with them, and I would have traded Rondo when his value was highest. Too late for that now, so they had to cut their losses and start over.

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I don't expect the over reactionary nature of this board to say anything but "hellz no!!!" and thus I'm not surprised with some people trying to say this is the "wurst trade evahhhh!". Talk about your classic hyperbole.

I wish there was a 3rd option to the poll - "maybe". Frankly, I don't know if it was a good trade or not. Time will tell.

1. I like Rondo. I think the guy gets a bum rap. I think he wants to win, I think he has shown he can win, I think he's a good guy, I think he's a good teammate and I think he's been a good player who at times has been great. I'm a Rondo fan.

2. Rondo's play this year has been pretty uninspired. His shooting percentage is so far in the tank it's almost incomprehensible. He's only getting to the line at about 1/2 the rate he did a couple of years ago, instead settling for the pass or long jump shot. He still rebounds like a fiend, but his scoring is down and his turnover rate is up. Rondo has not looked good this year and he very well may have needed or demanded a change of scenery.

3. I didn't think he was worth a max deal this offseason. A couple of years ago there was a honest debate if he was the #1, #2 or #3 PG in the league with CP3 and Rose. This version of Rondo may not even be a top 10 PG in this league. To be honest, I'm not sure he is - or if he is, it's at the tail end of the top 10. That is NOT a guy I want to spend $15m+ per season for as he goes into his 30s. You may disagree, but that's how I see it.

With those factors and the rebuilding direction of the team, I don't think he would have been very easy to resign this summer. I don't know if the Celtics should have even attempted to resign him this summer. He's just not been that good the end of last season and the beginning of this one. I think the writing has been on the wall ever since the Celtics drafted Marcus Smart. He's the PG of the future and there's no reason to sit him any longer anyway.

So IF the statements above are accurate, Rondo was a short-term rental through the end of this season. If that was the case, what did the Celtics get in return? Nothing spectacular, but then again I don't think anyone was breaking the bank for Rondo this year. So what did they get?

Wright - Ok, the guy has great per 36 numbers but only plays 18 minutes. I have no idea if he's just a role player or a potential starter. I know he can play some D. He also plays PF and there's already a logjam there, so I'm not sure what's going to happen. Nice, but nothing to get too excited about.

Crowder - I don't know anything about him. Consider that a "nothing".

Nelson - This could be very good for Smart. I've always liked this guy and I think he could really help teach Smart the game. I think he may fit in well.

1st Round Pick - It's going to be in the 20s, so this isn't anything to write home about. But it's a first along with the Clippers pick. So that's 3 #1s this coming year and 3 #1s next year plus a host of 2s. In this case, quantity = quality.

$13m trade exception -  this could be big. Very big. Ainge turned the last one into a #1 pick, Thornton and Zeller. I think Danny will be able to turn this into something good too. With the cap space available this summer AND this trade exception AND the first round picks, EVERYONE will want to trade with Ainge. Every other GM will have him on speed dial because he'll be able to deal everything - young talent, trade exceptions, picks, veterans, etc. There's very little he can't offer any other team in the league.

I think many of us would have preferred to see All Star Rondo return and become a dominant force for the Celtics that could be the cornerstone of the franchise going forward. Frankly, I think that was Danny's hope too but that Rondo is nowhere to be seen. Given that being the case, this is probably about the best move Danny could make and I doubt there was a better offer on the table.

I'm not happy. I really liked watching Rondo and wish him all the best. But at this stage, everyone may be better off long-term from this trade. This may be the proverbial deal that helps both teams.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:05:33 PM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I hated it at first but then when I found out the protection of the picks it made me feel better.

We will have the assets to make trades and a ton of picks going forward.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Duplicate post.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2014, 10:06:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This thing where people are saying we had to trade him because we were going to lose him for nothing....I want to offer you all a nickel for your house. You aren't getting any other offers.

Dallas is the carpetbagger here.

Danny is the guy who sold all his stock after the great crash. He's a pauper now.

Is my house expiring in April? Otherwise this doesn't make an ounce of sense.
Sure. Your lease is expiring in April. I'll give you a nickel for it now. You'd be stupid not to take it, right?
Great. You get your nickel and be homeless. I'll live in your house for a nickel till April. That's this trade.

No, here's this trade.

You've got a house with a huge balloon payment on the mortgage coming due in April (Rondo).

Ainge just unloaded the house and its huge balloon payment for the chance to buy another cheap condo that will go up in value.

Don't get me wrong.  This is a poor return for a player like Rondo.  The way to get a better return, though, would have been to trade Rondo two years ago.  Who wanted to do that then?

Mike
Sorry. I reject all these scenarios where we can see the future.

You know the ones.

Rondo won't resign.

Rondo will cost sssooooo much money.

Smart will be great.

Not buying it. Not buying it at all.  In the business world they tell you the best indicator of future performance is past performance. That would lead you to Rondo continuing to be one of the best pgs in the game and Smart being horrid and Rondo signing for a reasonable deal

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:10 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I think it's probably the worst deal in the history of the Celtics and 2nd worst in the history of Boston sports. I just can't think of lots worse. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of dealing.

I love this deal. One step closer to Okafor.
Keep dreaming. The Celts have never moved up in the lottery ever. They have only moved down. Say hello to Oliver Hanlan or something

You have demonstrated a "fundamental misunderstanding" of odds and statistics. Statistics do not attach themselves to personally observed patterns or curses or whatever you are speaking of.

The worst team in the NBA has a 25% chance of winning the lottery whether that team is Cleveland or Boston.
Actually I think you are showing a fundamental misunderstanding of odds. 25% likelihood of a good outcome isn't good. Further even if you actually get the top pick it is by no means a guarantee of a good player.

Whereas it was a 100% good player we had in our hands. You don't give someone a 100% very good player for like a 12.5% chance of a player who realistically probably won't be as good for years even if he is good.

Nice try, but no. You said the Celtics "never move up" in the lottery as if the Celtics have been cursed and the odds that their pick moves up is less than that of other teams' picks.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I hated it at first but then when I found out the protection of the picks it made me feel better.

We already have this, Evan, with Rondo.

We could have flipped those and add better talent with Rondo. Instead we traded him, and we didn't even get a good enough asset in return.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
This thing where people are saying we had to trade him because we were going to lose him for nothing....I want to offer you all a nickel for your house. You aren't getting any other offers.

Danny is the guy who sold all his stock after the great crash. He's a pauper now.

Sure. Your lease is expiring in April. I'll give you a nickel for it now. You'd be stupid not to take it, right?
Great. You get your nickel and be homeless. I'll live in your house for a nickel till April. That's this trade.

No, here's this trade.

Don't get me wrong.  This is a poor return for a player like Rondo.  The way to get a better return, though, would have been to trade Rondo two years ago.  Who wanted to do that then?

Mike

You know the ones.

Rondo won't resign.

Smart will be great.

Not buying it. Not buying it at all.  In the business world they tell you the best indicator of future performance is past performance. That would lead you to Rondo continuing to be one of the best pgs in the game and Smart being horrid and Rondo signing for a reasonable deal

Given Rondo's performance this season, we're lucky to get what we did from Dallas.  Rondo has essentially been the point guard version of Reggie Evans but without the reliable hustle.

Mike

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2014, 10:13:55 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
RR is currently a shadow of the player he used to be, and that, I'm sure, is why DA had to pull the trigger on this deal.  I predicted a week ago that if DA received a late 1st and some cap relief (yes, of course along with matching salaries) that might be all we could expect in return for a half-season of RR.  Seems to me that DA did pretty well considering that he was attempting to steal a pot with the trading equivalent of 7 - 5 unsuited...

The level of delusion on this board is frankly hilarious - read the "Fire Danny" comments from some of you... ;D  KingChre has nailed this, and posters like eja117 can run around screaming 'Bloody Murder' all they want, but how embarassing is that?! 

RR made great contributions to the Celtics and I will always retain my fond memories of him in green; however, I look forward to seeing the Mavs and Clips in the Western Finals.  If you are, as many of you claim, RR fans, sit back and enjoy his stewardship of the Mavs.  At least now he's got a real roster to work with and a chance to go deep into postseason play...

Three 1sts (including a top ten pick) and two 2nds, including Philly's?  We are very nicely situated to either make a big trade or select that seven foot rim protector we've been dreaming of.  Take a look at this draft class and you'll see that there could be six, seven, maybe even eight centers drafted in the 1st round alone.

It's tough for people because Rondo was such a popular player, and a great one at that. No one likes seeing good players leave, especially ones that have been a part of a championship squad. Just my friendly attempt at reminding folks of the unfriendly business reality of the league. But the way I look at it is this, we just closed the door on an extremely successful run, and opened the door for another prolonged one.

I just wish they had opened the door a little sooner.

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

We already have this, Evan, with Rondo.

We could have flipped those and add better talent with Rondo. Instead we traded him, and we didn't even get a good enough asset in return.

There were no good assets being offered for Rondo.  There were not going to be good assets offered for Rondo.  He's an unrestricted free agent who is a bad on ball defender and has become possibly the worst scoring PG currently starting in the league.

Mike

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2014, 10:19:35 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

No, here's this trade.

Mike

You know the ones.

Rondo won't resign.

Smart will be great.

You don't need to predict the future,  just ask Rondo will you and how much?   I'm sure the Gm of an Nba team can do that.

What world do you live in where players do not decline or improve?

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2014, 10:23:42 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

No, here's this trade.

Mike

You know the ones.

Rondo won't resign.

Smart will be great.

Given Rondo's performance this season, we're lucky to get what we did from Dallas.  Rondo has essentially been the point guard version of Reggie Evans but without the reliable hustle.

Mike

Quotes like that, make me glad Rondo is gone arguably the best passer in the NBA and he gets compared to Reggie Evans?!