Poll

Do u like the Rondo to Mavs trade?

Yes
28 (23.7%)
No
90 (76.3%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?  (Read 15217 times)

Re: Poll: Do u like Rondo to Mavs trade?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2014, 09:20:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
You know this feels like the Walker trade (trade 1). I really felt the Walker trade was a waste. You scratch your head as to what DA was thinking. DA and his supporters try to spin it as it's the best they could do. Doesn't mean it's a good trade people.

At least in this deal we didn't take on a near-max center with glass knees for the next five years. But in terms of value, we at least thought we were getting something back in LaFrentz. In this trade, we know for a fact that we got super-hosed.

One thing is for sure - Danny didn't like Antoine and apparently doesn't like Rondo (although, ironically he screwed over the Cs and their fans, but put him in an amazing situation).

Another quality Dallas trade  ::)
True Dallas again lol

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
This thing where people are saying we had to trade him because we were going to lose him for nothing....I want to offer you all a nickel for your house. You aren't getting any other offers.

Dallas is the carpetbagger here.

Danny is the guy who sold all his stock after the great crash. He's a pauper now.

Is my house expiring in April? Otherwise this doesn't make an ounce of sense.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Well let's go through these for a minute.

Was Joe Johnson one of the best players at his position? Was the guy we gave up for Vin Baker? Was Jeff Bagwell or Joe Thornton? Danny Ainge?  Chauncey took yeeeeeaaarrrsss to get good.

You have convinced me further I am right.

I don't see your point, who was one of the best players at his position in this trade?
Certainly not Rondo. Maybe in 2010. Not anymore. Rating in the 60th to 70th percentile at a position hardly qualifies as best.

If he was, do you honestly think Danny would have settled for this package?

Don't you think someone would have offered more if he was worth more? Do you really believe that Danny turned down better offers from other teams?

Why would he do that? He just woke up today and said "Hey screw it, I think I'm gonna bail on Rondo for flotsam and jetsam. Sure he's one of the best PG in the league, and everybody knows it, but I just need to get Jae Crowder."

Honestly its such an asinine point I'm done even discussing it. No kidding they didn't get much for him, but to declare it the worst trade while completely ignoring the reasoning behind it is rather baffling.
There isn't a good reason behind it.
Rondo was leading the league in assists (with a bunch of pretty bad wing mates) and leading his position at rebounding and is one of the better defenders at his position. Still very capable of the triple doubles. 
Even if he said "I am absolutely not resigning here under any condition" this is still a horrid horrid trade. That doesn't mean you trade a great player for worthless assets.

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This thing where people are saying we had to trade him because we were going to lose him for nothing....I want to offer you all a nickel for your house. You aren't getting any other offers.

Danny is the guy who sold all his stock after the great crash. He's a pauper now.

Sure. Your lease is expiring in April. I'll give you a nickel for it now. You'd be stupid not to take it, right?
Great. You get your nickel and be homeless. I'll live in your house for a nickel till April. That's this trade.

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2014, 09:24:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
FWIW, I voted no initially... but have since changed my mind to yes.  I'm on board.  I trust Ainge.

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Actually I think you are showing a fundamental misunderstanding of odds. 25% likelihood of a good outcome isn't good. Further even if you actually get the top pick it is by no means a guarantee of a good player.

If the good outcome is sufficiently good relative to the price, a 25% likelihood of a good outcome is good.  For example if you have a 25% chance to win a million dollars, it makes complete sense to spend $1000 for that chance (if you can afford to spend $1000) even though you have a 75% chance of losing $1000.  Math-wise, you just need to win back $4000 for it to be a good gamble.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2014, 09:26:48 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
pretty shocked at the news, not because he was traded (I've been in the camp that believes Rondo was going to be traded from the start) but because of the package. I would've liked a better haul than Brandan Wright and a late 1st round pick. The rumors from the Sacramento (with McLemore+pick) and Houston trade (with Parsons+Asik) from last year would've been better.

Thus, I voted 'no'.

Plus, am i the only one who believes that TPEs are nearly worthless? The only time it works is when you already have another deal in place (ala the Cavs+Lebron). Other than that, it usually just expires on its own.

- LilRip

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm fine with the deal. This year doesn't matter and I really doubted he would be back next year. Ainge tried to raise his value by giving Rondo time to raise his game post injury by Rondo instead regressed. Time was running out as top teams would want time to integrate him into their system -- or adjust their system -- before the playoffs.

I hope that we are at least able to send a contract or two back to avoid wasting money of cutting people.

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
FWIW, I voted no initially... but have since changed my mind to yes.  I'm on board.  I trust Ainge.

Kind of how I feel.

After really thinking about it, I'm coming around.

I had begun to sour on Rondo a bit and had zero interest extending him for what he wanted.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
pretty shocked at the news, not because he was traded (I've been in the camp that believes Rondo was going to be traded from the start) but because of the package. I would've liked a better haul than Brandan Wright and a late 1st round pick. The rumors from the Sacramento (with McLemore+pick) and Houston trade (with Parsons+Asik) from last year would've been better.

Thus, I voted 'no'.

Plus, am i the only one who believes that TPEs are nearly worthless? The only time it works is when you already have another deal in place (ala the Cavs+Lebron). Other than that, it usually just expires on its own.

No, I like TPEs. Yes, they don't often get used, but when they do, it's a decent haul. They basically give you an option, which is useful.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Sure. Your lease is expiring in April. I'll give you a nickel for it now. You'd be stupid not to take it, right?
Great. You get your nickel and be homeless. I'll live in your house for a nickel till April. That's this trade.
The Celtics aren't homeless. Bad analogy. Rondo would not have higher value in April, and this season doesn't matter apart from entertainment. Better to get something that could contribute in the next few years. Rondo wasn't staying in town. But he can always come back if he wants after enjoying the playoffs this season.

Ainge made the smartest move when he held on to Rondo hoping that Rondo would play better with distance from his injury. Unfortunately, Rondo is shooting horrifically bad. Some times the best move doesn't pan out, but they do over large sample sizes.

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
The trade.....not sure. The idea behind it....absolutely.

Draft picks and lottery balls will get us #18 faster than being the Hawks of 08-12.

Either contend or build. Anything else is just a waste.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

No, here's this trade.

You've got a house with a huge balloon payment on the mortgage coming due in April (Rondo).

You just bought a cheap condo that's going to go up in value (Smart).

Ainge just unloaded the house and its huge balloon payment for the chance to buy another cheap condo that will go up in value.

Don't get me wrong.  This is a poor return for a player like Rondo.  The way to get a better return, though, would have been to trade Rondo two years ago.  Who wanted to do that then?

Mike

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Draft picks and lottery balls will get us #18 faster than being the Hawks of 08-12.

Tell me how a pick in the 25-30 range is better than adding stars along with Rondo?

You can build a contender by keeping your stars and adding more quality players. We have the assets to do so. Instead we gave away our star and didnt even get a good asset in return.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Tell me how a pick in the 25-30 range is better than adding stars along with Rondo?

You can build a contender by keeping your stars and adding more quality players. We have the assets to do so. Instead we gave away our star and didnt even get a good asset in return.

I think people are just going to have to trust Ainge didn't see any opportunities on the horizon to add to Rondo and was getting loose signs from Rondo about his desire to return for anything less than the max.

I for one, really had no interest in maxing Rondo.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.