Author Topic: Rondo traded for Wright Nelson Crowder and 1st and 2nd  (Read 49987 times)

Re: Rondo traded for Wright Nelson Crowder and 1st and 2nd
« Reply #240 on: December 19, 2014, 09:19:27 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
This deal feels similar to my Dodgers trading away Kemp. Guy that everyone loves/loved, don't like the return, etc.

I don't really understand it much from your team's perspective. Probably should have waited for the trade deadline. Hard to say, but at least you got something for him. We didn't get anything for Pau - a lousy 2nd round pick would have been nice, instead of nothing.
The possibility of keeping and eventually re-signing Rondo pretty much ended when Kevin Love went to Cleveland.  Marcus Smart plays the same position and is going to be a good player.  Ainge judged the market and decided waiting wasn't going to net a better return, the market itself valued Rondo a lot less than most Celticsblog posters do, so he could get maximum flexibility by doing a deal now. He can apparently spin any off the acquired players off at the trade deadline as  the 60 day window post trade will have expired.  If they were going to keep Rondo long term it was going to require a big contract and Ainge didn't think he was worth it.

« Reply #241 on: December 19, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Who's going to freaking take Jameer Nelson?

A playoff team whose PG has a season-ending injury between now and the trade deadline should consider it.
Pretty much. More likely we end up buying him out though.

« Reply #242 on: December 19, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If you get a minute today here is a good read -

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rajon-rondo-trade-dallas-mavericks/

« Reply #243 on: December 19, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I think everyone needs to be reasonable here.

If you are an NBA gm, are you trading for a PG that can't make free throws in crunch time?

I'm not.

Let's face it, it has been a long time since Rondo has been a consistently winning basketball player.  He's just not that good anymore. 

He can't shoot, he can't make his free throws, his defense is annoyingly great at times but at other times he plays lazy, gambling and missing on steal attempts.  Oh, and his attitude sucks.
When most of the league has really good point guards already, why would you pay big for this guy?  Put yourself in the position of the GMs around the league.

I like this trade a LOT. Yes, we should have traded him a lot earlier but I certainly understand the thought process of why we didn't.   Most NBA players don't regress this much at this stage in their careers.  Rondo happened to get hurt at exactly the wrong time.  He's never been the same since, and I'm not sure if he ever will again.  Truth is, he was going down the tubes before he got hurt.

I think the C's are in a better position than most on this forum.

Jeff Green can be moved for something of value, imo.  He's a good player on the right team with some very special skills that are hard to find.

Some say that Brandon Bass has no value.  I disagree.  Limited value, yes.  But if I am a GM on a contender, I'm trading for him in a second.

Sully has plenty of value, and I'd like to see the C's trade him because he is too much of a risk moving forward.

Marcus Smart has shown signs that he can play.  It's early, yes....but I think there is a good chance he becomes a solid player for years to come.  Probably not a star, but that's ok.  Because of his size, he is a better fit to play with Bradley than Rondo was.  Hopefully he develops as a shooter as well.

I like Olnyk.  I think he is a starting PF in this league.  Probably not an allstar, but it's still early for him, too. 

Wright can probably be flipped for something of value.

TPE is an asset.

So are the draft picks.

It might take a couple of years, but this team has a bright future.

« Reply #244 on: December 19, 2014, 10:35:49 AM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Great quote from that article:

Rondo has coughed up the ball on 32 percent of the pick-and-rolls he has finished this season, the worst rate among all 85 players who have run at least 50 such plays, per Synergy Sports. Dead stinking last.

The author argues against the trade from the Mavs perspective.

« Reply #245 on: December 19, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Who's going to freaking take Jameer Nelson?

A playoff team whose PG has a season-ending injury between now and the trade deadline should consider it.

LOL.

I mean, wow. That should be a pretty attainable thing.
I don't think it is.  I think any playoff team already has a backup PG better than Nelson.  the fact he has another year on his deal will be a negative impact on the ability to get rid of him until his contract expires (unless he's part of a bigger deal and used for salary matching)

« Reply #246 on: December 19, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If you only read half the article.

« Reply #247 on: December 19, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

absolutely great article. it gives so much info, insight, and background on both sides of the trade. it is possible that both sides won in this exchange, or lost.

now lets' see what wright and crowder provide the celtics and cheer on the mavs.

oh yeah, and a tp for you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #248 on: December 19, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If Nelson isn't bought out and he isn't traded to a contender by the deadline, he probably will not pick up his player option.  He agreed to a buyout from the Magic specifically because he wanted a chance to play on a winning team.  That's not suddenly going to change.  I think he's made it clear he's not terribly concerned with the money at this point.

« Reply #249 on: December 19, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

absolutely great article. it gives so much info, insight, and background on both sides of the trade. it is possible that both sides won in this exchange, or lost.

now lets' see what wright and crowder provide the celtics and cheer on the mavs.

"Maybe the Knicks would have done a dumb Knicks thing had they already not done a dumb Knicks thing in dealing a first-round pick and two second-rounders for Andrea Bargnani. " Priceless.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I woke up this morning and I still can't believe Danny did this deal.  Arghhhh....

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
A disgusting giveaway. Really disappointing trade.

A first rounder is something with value. Unlike the busts and bench/low level players most of them turn into.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #252 on: December 19, 2014, 01:10:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Rondo has coughed up the ball on 32 percent of the pick-and-rolls he has finished this season, the worst rate among all 85 players who have run at least 50 such plays, per Synergy Sports. Dead stinking last.

Only if you don't finish reading it.  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #253 on: December 20, 2014, 01:50:48 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Wonderful sentiment, and I heartily concur.  Whether "pro-Rondo" or "anti-Rondo" or whatever, I hope we can all agree that RR has a wonderful opportunity to reinvent himself with a real contender.  I hope for a Clips-Mavs Western Conference Final.  If RR and Monta can parse the ballhandling duties in a constructive manner, Rondo could be great for them. 

« Reply #254 on: December 20, 2014, 01:55:53 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Only if you don't finish reading it.  ;)

Even that is a little negative.....