Author Topic: Rondo traded for Wright Nelson Crowder and 1st and 2nd  (Read 50095 times)

Re: Rondo traded for Wright Nelson Crowder and 1st and 2nd
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2014, 12:51:56 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Just listened to Zach Lowe's podcast from earlier today before the trade went down.  He's not a fan of the current version of Rondo. Doesn't like the (at the time proposed) deal very much from Dallas' standpoint because they're already the best offensive team in league and while Rondo helps their D, he's also indifferent about it too much of the time.  He basically thinks RR is past his prime - and his shooting is a major negative.  Considers Wright one of the most underrated bigs in league.
Interesting.  Here's the link for those of you ready to swear off this team forever...

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=12048403

« Reply #226 on: December 19, 2014, 12:54:52 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Just listened to Zach Lowe's podcast from earlier today before the trade went down.  He's not a fan of the current version of Rondo. Doesn't like the (at the time proposed) deal very much from Dallas' standpoint because they're already the best offensive team in league and while Rondo helps their D, he's also indifferent about it too much of the time.  He basically thinks RR is past his prime - and his shooting is a major negative.  Considers Wright one of the most underrated bigs in league.
Interesting.  Here's the link for those of you ready to swear off this team forever...

Zach Lowe watches more ball than all of us combined so I do trust his opinion. I think most of the media guys are irrationally high on Wright though.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #227 on: December 19, 2014, 12:57:05 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

We won the trade as far as i'am concerned.  Plus Wright minus Rondo , Balances our lineup out.  We become a better defensive team also

« Reply #228 on: December 19, 2014, 12:57:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
His overall FG% is 37% as well.  I am supposed to be glad about that part too?  Give me a break.  Nelson is not a good player.  Don't even try to convince me he is.

I'm not trying to convince you that Nelson is a bad player.  I will, however, tell you that your ability to interpret statistics is bad and you are hating Nelson for the wrong reasons.  He's a bad defender who dribbles too much and slows down the flow of the offense.  His shooting is probably the least bad aspect of his game.

Exactly what stat am I mis-interpreting?  I said he is a bad player.  I said 37% fg shooting isn't something I am excited about.  I didn't even go into it more than that.  Yeah Nelson is a better 3 point shooter than Rondo, and so what.

His field goal percentage isn't that bad because almost two-thirds of his shots are three-point attempts.

Nelson is a bad starting PG, but he wouldn't be a bad backup PG.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2014, 12:59:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
His overall FG% is 37% as well.  I am supposed to be glad about that part too?  Give me a break.  Nelson is not a good player.  Don't even try to convince me he is.

I'm not trying to convince you that Nelson is a bad player.  I will, however, tell you that your ability to interpret statistics is bad and you are hating Nelson for the wrong reasons.  He's a bad defender who dribbles too much and slows down the flow of the offense.  His shooting is probably the least bad aspect of his game.

Exactly what stat am I mis-interpreting?  I said he is a bad player.  I said 37% fg shooting isn't something I am excited about.  I didn't even go into it more than that.  Yeah Nelson is a better 3 point shooter than Rondo, and so what.

His field goal percentage isn't that bad because almost two-thirds of his shots are three-point attempts.

+1.  Nelson will play the same role Thornton is playing for us.    I look for him to get traded by the deadline, unless he excels as a back pg /3 pt guy

« Reply #230 on: December 19, 2014, 01:05:10 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

+1.  Nelson will play the same role Thornton is playing for us.    I look for him to get traded by the deadline, unless he excels as a back pg /3 pt guy

Who's going to freaking take Jameer Nelson?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #231 on: December 19, 2014, 01:07:46 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Ok understood.  I am not a Nelson fan.  Sorry if my response came off a bit harsh.

« Reply #232 on: December 19, 2014, 01:08:34 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

A playoff team whose PG has a season-ending injury between now and the trade deadline should consider it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #233 on: December 19, 2014, 01:11:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

A playoff team whose PG has a season-ending injury between now and the trade deadline should consider it.

LOL.

I mean, wow. That should be a pretty attainable thing.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #234 on: December 19, 2014, 02:30:16 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
12.9 Million Dollar TPE!!
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #235 on: December 19, 2014, 02:50:38 AM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
This deal feels similar to my Dodgers trading away Kemp. Guy that everyone loves/loved, don't like the return, etc.

I don't really understand it much from your team's perspective. Probably should have waited for the trade deadline. Hard to say, but at least you got something for him. We didn't get anything for Pau - a lousy 2nd round pick would have been nice, instead of nothing.

« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2014, 08:39:12 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Rondo in Boston was often guarding the SG while Bradley was on the PG.  I think doing that worked relatively well for us. 

It will be interesting to see if the Mavs do the same thing with Ellis.  I never thought of Ellis as much of a defensive player.

Zach Lowe watches more ball than all of us combined so I do trust his opinion. I think most of the media guys are irrationally high on Wright though.

« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I wonder if the trade exception is what impacted the timing of this trade. Maybe Ainge really wanted it before the trade deadline because he has plans to acquire someone in February with it .

« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
I think the trade is ok. This Celtic team wasn't going to get substantially better
the way things are. Rondo is a pg who thrives with a veteran shooting cast like
he did with the big 3. This makes Rondo a perfect pickup for Dallas. They will
be in better contention to win the Championship.
This trade was a no-brainer for Dallas.
Boston gets an adequate PG in Nelson who can fill in a while, possible long-term fits with Wright and Crowder, decent draft picks and a money boon.
Ainge did what he had to do. Stuff the roster and future roster with potential
pieces that will take time and experimentation to find the combinations that can
compete vs the upper level opponents.

« Reply #239 on: December 19, 2014, 09:00:59 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I wonder if the trade exception is what impacted the timing of this trade. Maybe Ainge really wanted it before the trade deadline because he has plans to acquire someone in February with it .
Yes and this has been mentioned in other threads too. I think I read that this timing means acquired players will have been on the roster for 30 days before the deadline, so they could be flipped before the deadline.