Author Topic: Rondo traded for Wright Nelson Crowder and 1st and 2nd  (Read 49985 times)

Re: Rondo traded for Wright Nelson Crowder and 1st and 2nd
« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Do we know the details surrounding this first round pick?

Disregard. It looks like there's a thread dedicated to it.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2014, 10:02:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Apparently protected 1-3 and 15-30 this year, protected 1-7 through 2020 if it rolls over.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2014, 10:02:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I thought my eyes and ears were lying to me last night bc I didn't want to believe it. I knew without a doubt after RR's post game with reporters he was gone (didn't know for this trade ugh). This was the FIRST time all season when he was asked about wanting to stay and anything else about it, they had to literally pull his answer out of him. He eventually said what he has been saying but it never seemed believable. You could tell something was up and now we have the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65aZwN2WndQ

Yup.......I knew something was wrong during that interview ......he had a lump in his throat ......looked like he just lost his best friend .......I really didn't want to believe he d be traded , until I saw this ......and in the back of my mind in tried to dismiss it too........

Oh well life goes on....."but I really feel worse than KG leaving , my fav player of all time. ......and I don't know why......maybe cause it was just WRONG

« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
As I watch all of the games? I don't think the team will be significantly worse. This is not because Rondo isn't a superb player because he is and Dallas is now a far stronger threat in the playoffs, but, this team really is 9/10 guys who play well together. Stevens has an improved sense of how to play this group and for the rest of the season? I disagree with the "top 5 draft pick" predictions (which, of course is just more bad news).

Wright, if he doesn't get traded for the balance of the season improves our front court which, of course, doesn't take much and Smart/Turner will keep the team moving on the floor.

Ainge did not trade Rondo in order to get worse, specifically. He traded him to "get what he could before "that" became nothing."

Ainge held onto Rondo trying to get another star. It did not work. We witness "plan B" today.
My guess, from informed posts here, is the TPE is quite valuable and truly, is what might yield a legit asset going forward.

I always used to tell fellow fans to "just watch Rondo's hands for the whole game." Probably, one of the most amazing handles ever.

« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2014, 10:04:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
His overall FG% is 37% as well.  I am supposed to be glad about that part too?  Give me a break.  Nelson is not a good player.  Don't even try to convince me he is.

I'm not trying to convince you that Nelson is a bad player.  I will, however, tell you that your ability to interpret statistics is bad and you are hating Nelson for the wrong reasons.  He's a bad defender who dribbles too much and slows down the flow of the offense.  His shooting is probably the least bad aspect of his game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
His overall FG% is 37% as well.  I am supposed to be glad about that part too?  Give me a break.  Nelson is not a good player.  Don't even try to convince me he is.

I'm not trying to convince you that Nelson is a bad player.  I will, however, tell you that your ability to interpret statistics is bad and you are hating Nelson for the wrong reasons.  He's a bad defender who dribbles too much and slows down the flow of the offense.  His shooting is probably the least bad aspect of his game.

Are you referencing Jameer or Rajon?  ;)

« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
This one hurt. It's not enough that we traded Rondo for an awful package, we also now have Jameer Nelson on our team.

« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Adrian Wojnarowski ?@WojYahooNBA  12m12 minutes ago
Sources: Protections on the 2015 first-round pick Dallas sent Boston: Protected 1-3 and 15-30 in 2015; 2016-2020 protected to No. 7.

Okay, I've slightly re-evaluated this trade now. What we actually got is a 2016 pick which has a fari chance at being lottery.

I understand why Ainge would want the later protections on the pick this year, but why on earth is it protected at all after this year (especially all the way up to #7)? Heck, there aren't even any protections on the Clips pick, which we traded a freakin' coach for.

The Mavs probably wanted a hedge against Dirk retiring, which I think is a fair thing to ask.  Would you have preferred top-10 protection in 2016, top-7 in 2017, decreasing to top-5, top-3, and unprotected in 2020?

I think when you are getting an all-star level PG for a single first round pick and [essentially] nothing else, you really shouldn't have the nerve to ask for protections on it.

I said this in another thread, but there isn't even protections on the pick from the Doc Rivers 'trade' or any of the BKN picks when it was clear they were probably going to hit rock bottom within a couple of years.

« Reply #218 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:35 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
As I watch all of the games? I don't think the team will be significantly worse. This is not because Rondo isn't a superb player because he is and Dallas is now a far stronger threat in the playoffs, but, this team really is 9/10 guys who play well together. Stevens has an improved sense of how to play this group and for the rest of the season? I disagree with the "top 5 draft pick" predictions (which, of course is just more bad news).

Wright, if he doesn't get traded for the balance of the season improves our front court which, of course, doesn't take much and Smart/Turner will keep the team moving on the floor.

Ainge did not trade Rondo in order to get worse, specifically. He traded him to "get what he could before "that" became nothing."

Ainge held onto Rondo trying to get another star. It did not work. We witness "plan B" today.
My guess, from informed posts here, is the TPE is quite valuable and truly, is what might yield a legit asset going forward.

I always used to tell fellow fans to "just watch Rondo's hands for the whole game." Probably, one of the most amazing handles ever.
Honestly I think it would have been better for all involved if Cleveland kept Wiggins and Love wound up here.  I agree this is Plan B and this is where patience is going to be required.  This team won't be playing any meaningful games in May anytime soon, that's for sure. 

As far as RR is concerned, it's going to be real interesting to watch Dallas.  Don't think this is a guaranteed slam dunk for them. 

« Reply #219 on: December 18, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Exactly what stat am I mis-interpreting?  I said he is a bad player.  I said 37% fg shooting isn't something I am excited about.  I didn't even go into it more than that.  Yeah Nelson is a better 3 point shooter than Rondo, and so what.

« Reply #220 on: December 18, 2014, 10:34:16 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Wondering why I should look forward to as a Cs fan now. Rondo was my favourite player hands down. The song 'Bye, Bye Love' by the Everly Brothers is stuck in my head now. *sob*   
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2014, 10:35:53 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
At the end of the day

- I love Rondo as a player and I'm happy he's in a good situation now

- I wish we could have got more, but I'm happy we didn't lose him for nothing

- I hope it works out for both sides and Rondo gets a heartfelt video tribute when he's back in town with Dallas.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2014, 10:51:47 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He took this deal because winning 35 games and making the playoffs is the worst of all possible worlds.
We can still win 35 games. Don't think for a second that the trade made us THAT much worse.

The entire reason he's traded Rondo away is to improve our draft position.
We aren't coming close to 30 games because if Rondo's gone then we are dumping Jeff Green and Bass ASAP too. They'll be had for scraps and we'll develop the young guys and hopefully bink Okafur.
No, the entire reason we traded Rondo was to get something now rather than nothing in the offseason.

The same deal would be there in the offseason, it would just be more of a pain because Felton would likely exercise his player option and we'd have his $4.5 million on the books instead of  Wright's $5 million as an expiring.

Rondo makes the team significantly better and by trading him now, we lose an extra 7-10 games in a perfect world. If Green and Bass are traded we lose more games on top of that.

I'm laughing that people think we made this deal because Wright was some kind of asset. He's expiring filler- that's it.
 The pick is the asset.

But yeah I see your thought process, I just think there would have been a deal like this just to get Rondo's bird rights, but it makes sense to do it now because we improve our pick, Smart gets more development at the point, and now we can justify giving away Bass and Green for nothing.

Ainge figures the top 3 in this draft are pretty special, particularly number 1, so get in the race and give yourself the best odds.

This is Marcus Smart's team now. One of the Alpha dogs had to go :(
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #223 on: December 19, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12049695/boston-celtics-trade-rajon-rondo-dallas-mavericks

"We would like to thank Rajon for everything that he has done for the Celtics organization and the success we have experienced during his tenure with us," said Danny Ainge, Celtics president of basketball operations.

"We would not have won Banner 17 without Rajon and will always consider him one of our most valuable Celtics," the team's owners said in a joint statement. "We will always cherish the time he was here."

"Welcome to Rajon Rondo the newest member of the Dallas Mavericks," team owner Mark Cuban wrote on the social media application Cyber Dust. Cuban also thanked the three departing players, calling them "Amazing players and better people."

goodbye RR

« Reply #224 on: December 19, 2014, 12:17:35 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Apparently protected 1-3 and 15-30 this year, protected 1-7 through 2020 if it rolls over.
so the celtics get the pick next year. that works for me. thanks for the update.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva