Author Topic: Rondo traded for Wright Nelson Crowder and 1st and 2nd  (Read 50103 times)

Re: Rondo traded for Wright Nelson Crowder and 1st and 2nd
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
It's hard for me to believe that we couldn't have done at least equally if we'd waited, either until the trade deadline or until the off-season in a sign-and-trade. 

I might have understood this if we dumped Wallace's contract, or got an unprotected #1 a few years down the road.  This return is complete garbage, though.

I'll be rooting for the Mavs, but I don't think Rondo next to Ellis is a good fit.  It's an upgrade over what they had, certainly, but to me it doesn't elevate them significantly.

No doubt that what the Celtics are getting in exchange for Rondo does feel like we got the short end of the stick...however, there's no way to know whether or not this was the BEST deal that we could have seen for him, now, at the trade deadline, or next summer.

The fact that the deal was made before the deadline to be able to move the player again may indicate Ainge intends to make further trades before all is said and done.

Some days are diamonds, some days are stones...or in Celtic trade history, some days are Nets, others are Mavs. 

Best of luck Rondo!

Rak

« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2014, 07:50:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
anyone  know much about Crowder. I remember reading he is like a Leon Powe clone
all we need to know is that his salary helped make this deal possible. i looked at his stats, they are nothing of note.

to be honest, i would rather have powell.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I guess in theory we could immediately absorb Lance with this TPE. Don't know if that makes me happy or not.

Woah, wasn't even thinking about that. Though I'm sure Charlotte wants Green or Bass at the very least.

Bass has pretty negligible value so they're welcome to him if they want.

Reuniting Turner and Lance would be such a ballsy move

Tank City, U.S.A., baby! lol

« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Let's not forget that this deal is supposedly giving us a sizable TPE and we're said to be looking to flip Wright before the deadline. The end result of this deal could be much better than it currently appears.

Who cares?  We got a 'sizeably tpe,' for Pierce, too, and Danny never even used it.  There's no two ways around it - this deal SUCKS.

^ What he said...   :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

We got Zeller, Thornton and a 1st for the Pierce TPE.
thank you boris, you beat me to it. today is an emotional day here. i am not sure what most people will post about now that we cant argue over whether to trade rondo.  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2014, 07:54:36 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
It's hard for me to believe that we couldn't have done at least equally if we'd waited, either until the trade deadline or until the off-season in a sign-and-trade. 

I might have understood this if we dumped Wallace's contract, or got an unprotected #1 a few years down the road.  This return is complete garbage, though.

I'll be rooting for the Mavs, but I don't think Rondo next to Ellis is a good fit.  It's an upgrade over what they had, certainly, but to me it doesn't elevate them significantly.

No doubt that what the Celtics are getting in exchange for Rondo does feel like we got the short end of the stick...however, there's no way to know whether or not this was the BEST deal that we could have seen for him, now, at the trade deadline, or next summer.

The fact that the deal was made before the deadline to be able to move the player again may indicate Ainge intends to make further trades before all is said and done.

Some days are diamonds, some days are stones...or in Celtic trade history, some days are Nets, others are Mavs. 

Best of luck Rondo!

Rak

The benefit to not waiting is that

a. we get to tank harder

b. Marcus Smart gets to get more playing time, grow into a team leader, make a run at Rookie of the Year.

I think the front office are VERY high on Smart and part of the reason Rondo is being shown the door so hastily is that they recognize that they cant have two alpha dogs in the backcourt for too long. They're rolling the dice on him rising to the occasion.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2014, 08:05:12 PM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Brandon Wright is a young, up and coming very good player. He's excellent around the rim, and a high-flying dunker. I would not close the door on what this kid can do. He will be the closest thing to a center you can get at the time.

« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2014, 08:06:31 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Brandon Wright is a young, up and coming very good player. He's excellent around the rim, and a high-flying dunker. I would not close the door on what this kid can do. He will be the closest thing to a center you can get at the time.

and he isn't signed,  and will probably get traded.   

« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2014, 08:07:33 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

I like the optimism but A. he's 27 and B. he's been on multiple teams and was never given substantial playing time... Dallas signed him for the vet min originally how is he up and coming??

« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Worst trade Ainge has ever made.
Until the next one.

« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

and he isn't signed,  and will probably get traded.

and he isn't young, and he isn't up and coming...

« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
I predict it now .....just wait and see.

DA  has built the gallows and tied the noose  around his neck with this awful deal.  He dumped the most popular player for peanuts and set the rebuild back by 20 year.  DA won't live that long....to see another celtics team competing for a title.   .....what a moron.

Celtic nation will be calling for Wyc to fire Danny sooner than latter.

Celtics won't be right until 2023 .

I have my issues with Ainge, but he's not getting canned for this trade.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Faverani's waived to make room for the three incoming players, per Woj.

« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Rondo played some great basketball during his stay in Boston.  We watched one of the most exciting players perform his magic especially during the big 3 era.  It was fun!  "Those were the days my friend....."  They were great!!!

However, having watched Rondo since the big 3 departure it's obvious he would never lead us to another title.  He may in Dallas. Like other posters have mentioned, his value goes way up when he's surrounded by All Stars. We are at least two more tanking seasons away from having two all stars on our team.  And, by that time Rondo would have been well past his peak. If he hasn't passed it already. 

In my opinion this is a great pick up for Dallas, but not such a great loss for the Celtics.  I haven't watched a lot of Celtics basketball this year....too tough to watch.  Maybe with new players they might be better.  I doubt they will get worse.  They picked up a rim protector they desperately needed and they lose a player who can be a major handicap when forced to shoot the ball.  He hasn't been the go to guy in the fourth quarter. 

I am a bit surprised more of us don't see this is as a great deal for the Celtics.  Most everyone is looking at it from Dallas' viewpoint.  Rondo has so much going against him.  He has a ton of mileage on him.  Thought his foot was going to give out on his years ago.  Now, he has his knee that must not be 100%.  Jeff Green plays better without Rondo.  Now everyone will get to handle the ball.  Maybe someone did the analytics and found he's not worth what he would be asking for.  Other GM's felt the same way. 

« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Faverani's waived to make room for the three incoming players, per Woj.

Contenders now with our new "rim protector"