Author Topic: Still the best Rondo trade imo!  (Read 3097 times)

Still the best Rondo trade imo!
« on: December 18, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Dallas: Rondo

Charlotte: Green, 2015 Clips pick from Boston

Boston: Stephenson, Wright, Felton (have to eat his contract), 2015 Charlotte 1st round pick (maybe top 2 or 3 protected), 2015 Mavericks 1st round pick

We do it to take a flyer on Stephenson, who only has one more guaranteed year after this season, and we hope and pray he can put it back together being the main ball handler in a terrifying defensive backcourt with Smart.  Hopefully he turns into a reclamation project just like Turner, and if nothing else we have a TON of expiring contracts in 2016. We're not competing within the next couple of years anyway, so why not try it? We also get Wright as a decent backup and expiring contract, but we'll have to eat the Felton contract. We also upgrade the Clips pick to a likely lottery pick, and we add a third 2015 1st from Dallas that we can try to package for a top pick if we don't get it ourselves.

Dallas does it because this is basically what they're offering right now: Wright, Felton, and a late 1st.

Charlotte does it because they've been shopping Stephenson, and everyone believes they'll have to attach a first to him to ship him out. Green is a major upgrade from Stephenson (at this point), and he'd work great in Charlotte. They also don't lose a 1st round pick but merely take a lesser one.

Do it, Danny.

Re: Still the best Rondo trade imo!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:49:50 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
good one, TP

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Doesn't seem too far fetched.  Probably hinges on the protection of that CHA lotto pick

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Not a fan.  I'd like it more if Charlotte ate Felton's contract tho.  But I'd rather not take on Lance, and give up a pick for the privelege.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:54:11 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Doesn't seem too far fetched.  Probably hinges on the protection of that CHA lotto pick

Yeah, for sure. But if Stevens can get Stephenson playing anywhere near the level he was at Indy, this would be a pretty decent deal for us. And a top 3 protection for the Charlotte pick wouldn't be bad, because Green would probably help them quite a bit. I'm not sure if they'll make the playoffs or not, but it's probably mid lottery at worst.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Not a fan.  I'd like it more if Charlotte ate Felton's contract tho.  But I'd rather not take on Lance, and give up a pick for the privelege.

Well if the C's just have to eat it then it's just money coming out of the owner's pockets not our salary level or anything.  ;)

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The pick is definitely enticing. I think you could simplify it by just sending the Mavs pick to Charlotte. Not much point in swapping Clippers pick for Mavs pick when they are tied in the standings right now.

Stephenson I don't love, but we are in a position to just let him go wild for 1.5 years and see what value he has.

Smart / Bradley / Stephenson / Sullinger / Zeller
Pressey / Thornton / Turner / Olynyk / Bass

2015:
Young, Celtics 1st, Charlotte 1st, Clippers 1st, Philly 2nd

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
The pick is definitely enticing. I think you could simplify it by just sending the Mavs pick to Charlotte. Not much point in swapping Clippers pick for Mavs pick when they are tied in the standings right now.

Stephenson I don't love, but we are in a position to just let him go wild for 1.5 years and see what value he has.

Smart / Bradley / Stephenson / Sullinger / Zeller
Pressey / Thornton / Turner / Olynyk / Bass

2015:
Young, Celtics 1st, Charlotte 1st, Clippers 1st, Philly 2nd

You're right, that would be easier. Though you do run the chance of losing a potentially better pick if Rondo happens to go in there and screw things up. lol Far-fetched, but it could possibly happen.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
I wonder about the Turner/Stephenson situation, though.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
JPott, good offer, I like it.  Felton's contract is not that horrendous he has a player option for next year at 3.95 million, there could even be a chance he opts out, if not he backs up Smart and hopefully mentors him like Wallace is doing to Green. 

TP to you.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
JPott, good offer, I like it.  Felton's contract is not that horrendous he has a player option for next year at 3.95 million, there could even be a chance he opts out, if not he backs up Smart and hopefully mentors him like Wallace is doing to Green. 

TP to you.

Felton's contract is not that horrendous but his ability to play the game sure is.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 04:32:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
TP, OP, good idea, creative and practical...

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Well if the C's just have to eat it then it's just money coming out of the owner's pockets not our salary level or anything.  ;)

If that's how it worked, sure.  But it's not.  He has an option next year, and considering his poor play, I'd be surprised if he didn't exercise it.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Reasonable idea I think and I am not afraid of Stevenson.  His contract is fair enough that we could always trade him in the future if need be.

To nit pick though, I think we end up with too many 2015 picks (total 4 right?).  You can only stash so many players in D-League or Europe.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
To be fair, there's no edict dictating that the Celtics actually have to use all of those draft picks.  They could easily trade away one of those picks for future picks on draft day or use one to acquire another player.  Teams have done such transactions innumerable times in the past.