Author Topic: What will happen after Rondo is traded  (Read 9405 times)

Re: What will happen after Rondo is traded
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
We will suck horribly and I will become a Mavericks fan.
Mavs\Nets\Wizards fans.

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:26 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Rondo were the only deal (and it won't be) and we get something back other than just draft picks, I don't think the team will be that different in terms of W-L.  More likely, if Rondo is traded, the likes of Green, Bass, Thornton will also be traded and we will go from a bad team to a worse team.

All of the Rondo advocates will then have a chance say, see, we traded Rondo and now we suck.  Told you we should have built around Rondo.

Trading Rondo is a reality we have to face because him walking for nothing or us overpaying to keep him is even worse.  The trade is not going to feel like fair value, especially to those who think Rondo is better than Curry but hopefully, what we get back will include upside and draft picks that will show their value in the future.  I am braced for this as kind of the lesser of two evils but it is what needs to be done.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
You're gonna like Brendan Wright, assuming he's traded from Dallas (he's the Ed Davis type I spoke about). Very efficient in limited minutes. Just turned 27, blocks shots, plays D, scores fairly effectively at the 4 or 5. His size is listed between 6-9 210 and 6-10 240 ?? He's very long, and is supposed to be a good guy.
Now...get this type player and add a decent center, and shut down the easy baskets.

Will we be better?  I don't know.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
It means our rebuild time just went from 2-3 years to 5-6 years.

Foolish response. This is a good team without Rondo. A better team actually. Rondo is not going to bring in anyone from the outside. Btw we are in 9th place now and will fight for 8th place

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Wallace will be the team captain.  Yes it gets bad.

Watch that--Wallace is a better leader than Rondo.

Here are some of his quotes from this AM:

Scott Souza ‏@scott_souza 49s49 seconds ago
#Celtics forward Gerald Wallace said he had some fluid removed from surgically repaired knee as part of ongoing process to keep fluid down.

Scott Souza ‏@scott_souza 2m2 minutes ago
#Celtics forward Gerald Wallace on players discussing trade rumors: we don't talk about them. You're either here or you're not.

Jay King ‏@ByJayKing 2m2 minutes ago
What made Gerald Wallace become such a hustler? "Because I can't shoot that good."

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
It's an acknowledgement from the front office that the quick 2-3 year turnaround plan is not going to work. Short rebuild was only an option if you could hold onto Rondo and add 1~2 all-stars through trades and free agency, but that window was last summer and it has now passed.

We're now saddling up for the 5~10-year long rebuild. It's not going to be easy but this was always the most likely outcome. You don't do quick rebuilds unless you're incredibly lucky.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
We'll take a little while to find our chemistry, but after that we'll keep growing.  We'll see Turner, Smart and Pressey sharing ball-handling duties.  If we pick up a guy like Wright, our defense will improve right away.  We'll remain one of the top offenses.

I think this is a good outcome for everyone.  Good to see Rondo go to another great franchise where he can flourish.  I'll be a Mavs fan this playoff season.

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
We might never hear from BBtim again.  Not sure if he only likes Rondo or is a Celtics fan

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Foolish response. This is a good team without Rondo. A better team actually. Rondo is not going to bring in anyone from the outside. Btw we are in 9th place now and will fight for 8th place

If DA ends up trading Rondo, he will likely move bass and green as well.  It will mean a full on rebuild, and will take longer than it would have if we would have paired some other players w/ Rondo, Green, Sully, KO.

What is really foolish is thinking that our team, especially without RR, J Green is going to do anything this year.  If those trades happen, they are happening because we are going full rebuild and will be closer to a top level lotto pick than to a low playoff seed.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 12:15:15 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It's an acknowledgement from the front office that the quick 2-3 year turnaround plan is not going to work. Short rebuild was only an option if you could hold onto Rondo and add 1~2 all-stars through trades and free agency, but that window was last summer and it has now passed.

We're now saddling up for the 5~10-year long rebuild. It's not going to be easy but this was always the most likely outcome. You don't do quick rebuilds unless you're incredibly lucky.

A lot more would have to go wrong to turn this into a 10 year rebuild. Really, so much can happen in 3-4 years for any team at any time. Think about where every team in the league right now was 4 years ago.

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:34 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Just curious, does anybody think this makes the Mavericks substantially better?

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Then we're going to stink for at least seven or eight years. Believe me.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 12:20:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We'll take a little while to find our chemistry, but after that we'll keep growing.  We'll see Turner, Smart and Pressey sharing ball-handling duties.  If we pick up a guy like Wright, our defense will improve right away.  We'll remain one of the top offenses.

I think this is a good outcome for everyone.  Good to see Rondo go to another great franchise where he can flourish.  I'll be a Mavs fan this playoff season.
We aren't currently one of the top offenses. We have the 18th best offense in the NBA, and it will get a whole lot worse without Rondo.

I do. If Rondo is taking Devin Harris or Jameer Nelson's minutes I don't know how upgrading from those guys doesn't make them substantially better.

His lack of shooting would be hidden because pretty much all the other Mavs starters can shoot the ball
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If DA ends up trading Rondo, he will likely move bass and green as well.  It will mean a full on rebuild, and will take longer than it would have if we would have paired some other players w/ Rondo, Green, Sully, KO.

What is really foolish is thinking that our team, especially without RR, J Green is going to do anything this year.  If those trades happen, they are happening because we are going full rebuild and will be closer to a top level lotto pick than to a low playoff seed.

This is your prediction. While bass and even thornton are likely to be traded,  green does not have to be.  Unlike Rondo he has the ability to bring in guys like Hibbert, Monroe .

Green is in great shape and i dont mind giving him a 4 year deal at 14 million a year.

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

We aren't currently one of the top offenses. We have the 18th best offense in the NBA, and it will get a whole lot worse without Rondo.

I do. If Rondo is taking Devin Harris or Jameer Nelson's minutes I don't know how upgrading from those guys doesn't make them substantially better.

His lack of shooting would be hidden because pretty much all the other Mavs starters can shoot the ball

Absolutely will be an upgrade for the mavs.  Pick and roll w/ Dirk, lobs to TC, Mavs spread the floor with shooters more room for dribble drives.