Author Topic: Ainge on 98.5 now  (Read 3698 times)

Re: Ainge on 98.5 now
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/12/18/celtics-ainge-every-intention-of-finding-star-players/

“I think Celtics fans want to see good team basketball and winning basketball,” said Ainge. “We need to start moving in that direction. I don’t know if stars are required. It’s assumed in the NBA that stars are needed, and that’s true, but there have been some successful teams without a star. But I have every intention of finding stars; great players who have a positive effect on winning.

“Not stars who people want to watch, but stars who help with winning basketball,” he said.

Thats what i want also. I would exchange  Rondo's triple doubles for wins

Sounds like he's directly talking about someone like Carmelo. I listened to Ainge this morning and what he said is, he'd love to get a star but in reality that highly unlikely to happen in a trade. The draft is a possibility but a gamble. The more chips in the pot the better chance of 1 or more of them panning out. Ainge didn't really give any info that we already didn't know. It does seem like Smart is going to be the PG if Rondo leaves.

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Sounds like he's directly talking about someone like Carmelo.
He's not directly talking about anything. He was answering a question about what he's looking to get back in a trade, star players or picks. His first reaction was "star players, of course" -- he then continued to explain that his goal is to put together a winning team and not get specific players.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:48:53 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 10:33:13 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Pretty good interview. Some interesting insights on Ray Allen. Claimed he never told him that he's traded, only that he has a deal lined up. Backed out of the deal because (a) it wasn't a "blockbuster", and (b) Allen didn't want to leave.

I'm not exactly sure what Ainge said about that on this interview, but it has always bugged me that this version of events has never taken off.  People seem to stick with "Doc called Ray and told him he was traded," even though we have it straight from Ray Allen's mouth that it never happened like that.  Danny called Ray, told him about a potential Memphis deal, and asked him his opinion on it.  That's it.  This came out a couple of years ago.

From 2012:

"Danny told me he had a deal on the table for me to go to Memphis for O.J. Mayo and he asked me what I thought," Allen said. "I told him I didn't like it. I told him I didn't want to leave Boston. He said, 'I hope you understand my position.' I said, 'I know you have to build this team for the future, but I'm not happy about it.'"

Allen called his family and instructed them to pack their things. Instead, 45 minutes later Ainge called back to say the deal was off.

"I went to Paul's room and he said, '[dang], I almost got traded to New Jersey,' and I told him, 'I thought I did get traded to Memphis,"' Allen said. "What could we do? We just laughed about it."

Ainge acknowledged Allen's version of events regarding talks with Memphis, but claimed Pierce "was never going to New Jersey."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 11:11:54 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
When Stein, Wojo, Berger and Spears all report the same thing, I would say it's a pretty safe bet that the C's are getting pretty close to moving him.  I wonder if he is gone by the end of the day...
To me it sounds like they are just quoting each other. One tweet and a billion retweets.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Thank you, sed522002

TP+1

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
When Stein, Wojo, Berger and Spears all report the same thing, I would say it's a pretty safe bet that the C's are getting pretty close to moving him.  I wonder if he is gone by the end of the day...
To me it sounds like they are just quoting each other. One tweet and a billion retweets.
They're all probably quoting the same source. Who is certainly either a guy in the C's or Mavs front office or an agent.

Probably just sent out a mass text to them all.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
They're all probably quoting the same source. Who is certainly either a guy in the C's or Mavs front office or an agent.

Probably just sent out a mass text to them all.
Also, this source doesn't seem to have much. It's worth noting that the Globe runs this under a headline "Dallas considering making an offer for Rondo".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Well Broussard hasn't mentioned anything yet so this can't be true! *Sarcasm*

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/12/18/celtics-ainge-every-intention-of-finding-star-players/

“I think Celtics fans want to see good team basketball and winning basketball,” said Ainge. “We need to start moving in that direction. I don’t know if stars are required. It’s assumed in the NBA that stars are needed, and that’s true, but there have been some successful teams without a star. But I have every intention of finding stars; great players who have a positive effect on winning.

“Not stars who people want to watch, but stars who help with winning basketball,” he said.

Thats what i want also. I would exchange  Rondo's triple doubles for wins

Agreed. I always find it irksome when posters here suggest that the C's decide on their roster according to who they think sells the most tickets. E.g., Rondo's jersey is popular, so they'll have to keep him despite team-related considerations.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
What stars are out there who help your team get wins, but that people don't want to watch play?  ???

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 12:00:49 PM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
What stars are out there who help your team get wins, but that people don't want to watch play?  ???

Some might argue Duncan and the Spurs considering many people call them "Boring".

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

Ainge never suggested there were any (though there probably are).  He just doesn't want "stars" who people want to watch but dont help their team win.  Like Carmelo.  That's what he meant.