Author Topic: trade idea: Rondo to Knicks  (Read 4203 times)

Re: trade idea: Rondo to Knicks
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
You have not paid any attention to the Knicks this season if you think Rondo is going to make them a playoff team.  Their point guard play is about as low on the totem pole of problems as possible.  Rondo's not going to get nine players with expiring contracts to suddenly start caring, start playing defense, and understand the triangle.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:27:05 AM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
You have not paid any attention to the Knicks this season if you think Rondo is going to make them a playoff team.  Their point guard play is about as low on the totem pole of problems as possible.  Rondo's not going to get nine players with expiring contracts to suddenly start caring, start playing defense, and understand the triangle.
if this was the Western conference or halfway through the season, I'd agree.  I think a shake-up in NY would actually help them and Rondo is the type of PG that could help that roster.  he's a better defender than Calderon and his passing would get the most out of Amare, Hardaway, Shumpert, Melo, etc...

I don't disagree that NY is an underperforming dumpster fire so far this year but I do think if they made a move to improve that team via a trade it could (not a definite but I think a strong possibility) be what gets them out of their funk and start playing better.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 11:51:45 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I get the impression that Phil is totally fine with the Knicks being terrible this year because they'll get a great draft pick that they can either use or trade for a good player.  Both Phil and Fisher have made it very clear that they're not totally concerned with being good this season.  And honestly, it's just not realistic to expect this team to be good at any point this year.  They've got a new, novice coach who is implementing a notoriously-complex offensive system, 9 of their 15 players are impending free agents (or can be free agents due to team options), they are almost entirely devoid of any plus defensive players, and they experienced a ton of roster turnover.

For all of Rondo's benefits you just named, you conspicuously neglected to point out that he's a horrific shooter.  Calderon was brought in not only because he's heady (and able to pick up on the triangle's intricacies), but because he's a great shooter, which is important for the triangle.  Rondo might improve things on the defensive end, but I remain unconvinced that he could help the Knicks be anything other than bad right now.  Living in NY, I watch the Knicks regularly -- the team is simply a lost cause this season.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:10:12 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
There's no way we'd include Sully.

Rondo, Wallace
for
Bargnani (exp), Hardaway, JR Smith (kick him to the curb), 1st rounder

At least we're saving some additional money and keeping Sullinger this way. Then we run the rest of the way with:

Smart / Pressey
Hardaway / Bradley
Green* / Turner
Sullinger / Olynyk
Zeller / Bass**

Smart + Hardaway could be at least interesting to watch, and see how they fit.

* Green probably goes next
** And him, too

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 12:45:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The more I think about it, Dallas really isn't a good trade partner for the Celts but the Knicks just might be.

I think Hardaway is the perfect type of player to get back in a Rondo trade.

With the news that the Knicks are willing to listen to anyone other than Melo, I think they would say yes to this:

Rondo, Green and Bass
for
Hardaway, Amar'e and a future pick.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:51:23 PM by gpap »

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 01:01:33 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I have to agree with Endless Paradise's posts in this thread. Knicks are not a trade partner unless they give up playing triangle.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 01:17:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I have to agree with Endless Paradise's posts in this thread. Knicks are not a trade partner unless they give up playing triangle.

With the way the Knicks are playing right now, zig-zag comes to mind before triangle does.

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I get the impression that Phil is totally fine with the Knicks being terrible this year because they'll get a great draft pick that they can either use or trade for a good player.  Both Phil and Fisher have made it very clear that they're not totally concerned with being good this season.  And honestly, it's just not realistic to expect this team to be good at any point this year.  They've got a new, novice coach who is implementing a notoriously-complex offensive system, 9 of their 15 players are impending free agents (or can be free agents due to team options), they are almost entirely devoid of any plus defensive players, and they experienced a ton of roster turnover.

For all of Rondo's benefits you just named, you conspicuously neglected to point out that he's a horrific shooter.  Calderon was brought in not only because he's heady (and able to pick up on the triangle's intricacies), but because he's a great shooter, which is important for the triangle.  Rondo might improve things on the defensive end, but I remain unconvinced that he could help the Knicks be anything other than bad right now.  Living in NY, I watch the Knicks regularly -- the team is simply a lost cause this season.

TP.
Celtics fan for life.