Author Topic: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade  (Read 111234 times)

Re: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade
« Reply #660 on: December 18, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
well looks like i'm not watching any games till Nelson is gone.

What is the pervasive problem with Nelson?  Did I miss something?  Domestic abuse?  Badmouthing?  Showboating?

I think he is a decent player and will have some retrade value.

I am still disappointed in the deal but I am wondering what I may be missing regarding Nelson.

Well for starters there was the one time where AB picked him up full court and embarrassed him so badly that Nelson asked Avery to crank down his D.  That is probably enough for me to not be able to get the bad taste of this trade out of my mouth for about a decade.

http://www.magicbasketballonline.com/2012/01/24/jameer-nelson-begged-avery-bradley-dont-pick-me-up-it-didnt-work/

oh yeah, and Nelson is a pretty bad player.  so yeah...ladies and gentleman, your new starting celtic point guard...smh

« Reply #661 on: December 18, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
Finally....this is Stevens team not Rondo's...the Celtics made a good haul and got the equivalent of Rondo back in Nelson...

Lost all respect for you with that statement.  Seriously.

« Reply #662 on: December 18, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

What is the pervasive problem with Nelson?  Did I miss something?  Domestic abuse?  Badmouthing?  Showboating?

I am still disappointed in the deal but I am wondering what I may be missing regarding Nelson.

Well for starters there was the one time where AB picked him up full court and embarrassed him so badly that Nelson asked Avery to crank down his D.  That is probably enough for me to not be able to get the bad taste of this trade out of my mouth for about a decade.

http://www.magicbasketballonline.com/2012/01/24/jameer-nelson-begged-avery-bradley-dont-pick-me-up-it-didnt-work/

oh yeah, and Nelson is a pretty bad player.  so yeah...ladies and gentleman, your new starting celtic point guard...smh

There was the other time the same thing happened this November, too.  Nelson has pretty much been Avery's whipping boy the last few years.

« Reply #663 on: December 18, 2014, 06:45:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
So let me get this straight, Ainge was willing to resign Bradley to a horrible contract after drafting Smart, but he trades Rondo for utter crap?  Oh, and Jackie Mac, Brandon Wright is not someone you build around. ::)  I've lost all respect for you, but hey, you're happy now, right?  You never liked Rondo, anyway.

All I have to say is -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0gRdA2QjI

« Reply #664 on: December 18, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  51s 51 seconds ago
Boston will send Rajon Rondo and Dwight Powell to Dallas for Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jamar Nelson, 2015 first-round and future second.

ANDDDD we lost Powell who actually is young. Wright better become a 20 10 guy with 30 mpg

Yeah Powell in this deal basically feels like we got snapped in the nuts twice with a really big Dallas Mavs wet towel.  If we needed to trade rondo to move onto our next era so be it, but to take all of these crap players back?  This is exactly what I didn't want to happen, and why I would have rather had Rondo's contract just expire.

« Reply #665 on: December 18, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Sick to their stomach is right.  This is the worst trade that I think I've heard for Rondo, I don't understand how DA takes it.  Leaps and bounds would have rather had ben mclemore derrick williams and no picks (so pretty much just mclemore), then those 3 sorry playerr, 1 awful first rounder, and a second rounder.  I've always thought the most of Danny Ainge.  But this is just beyond awful.  I WANT HIM OUT, I WANT HIM FIRED, NO MORE, SHUNNED, BANISHED, HUMULIATED.

« Reply #666 on: December 18, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Really wish it were a future 1st instead of a future 2nd. That makes this trade a "meh" for me. But "meh" here is short for market value. This is what Rondo was worth now. There was not a better trade, and there wasn't going to be. If there were a better trade, Ainge would have made it. Rondo was not staying. Just letting Rondo walk for absolutely nothing would have been GM malpractice worth puking about and wanting him fired over. Save your vomit and tears, Ainge did what he had to do, and made the best of it.

Rondo had his chance to take a step forward into the upper echelon of bona fide NBA superstars. It didn't happen. He took a step backward instead, from an eccentric star to a merely above-average eccentric. As a Rondo homer, that pains me to admit. But I accept reality. I suggest others do the same.

Now let's see if Dallas can stay healthy and remain in the playoffs. That pick might wind up being a lotto pick, it's not out of the question. And now let's see what Wright puts up in 30 or more minutes. I think people will be surprised and grow to like him. I imagine he will be nicknamed "Blossom" at first and despised as if he is Blount reincarnated, but then once the summer rolls around there'll be a 180 degree turn and the same people will be outraged by the notion of not re-signing him or will hate the idea of "only" getting a late lottery pick for him in a sign-and-trade, etc.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #667 on: December 18, 2014, 08:24:59 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Nelson thinks he's better than he is. He's also regressed dramatically since his ORL times.

He's better at playing off the ball than Rondo, which is what he was doing playing next to Monta Ellis. Now that's Rondo's job. Or Ellis'. And neither are well suited to that role.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #668 on: December 18, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Taking 20-1 TP bets that this does not happen.

So like...this was wishful thinking I guess.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #669 on: April 09, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Finally....this is Stevens team not Rondo's...the Celtics made a good haul and got the equivalent of Rondo back in Nelson...

I would trade Brad Stevens for Rondo. Players make coaches -- the team isn't going to get better now that we've reduced the talent level.

What is the context here?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:17:51 AM by Chris22 »

« Reply #670 on: April 09, 2015, 10:41:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I would trade Brad Stevens for Rondo. Players make coaches -- the team isn't going to get better now that we've reduced the talent level.

What is the context here, POS?

Pointless bump of a thread other than attempt at an "I told you so" which is, you know, against the rules.

« Reply #671 on: April 09, 2015, 10:43:41 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Pointless bump of a thread other than attempt at an "I told you so" which is, you know, against the rules.

And did Chris22 just use an acronym for piece of ****?

« Reply #672 on: April 09, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It's always interesting to revisit some thoughts on things after the fact though. A lot of people were dead wrong.

« Reply #673 on: April 09, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

And did Chris22 just use an acronym for piece of ****?

He likely meant dos.

« Reply #674 on: April 09, 2015, 10:49:17 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
That's what I thought, but they're on opposite sides of the keyboard.