Author Topic: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade  (Read 111313 times)

Re: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade
« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Dallas Mavericks official twitter account just followed Rondo

Yikes, I hope not that mavs

« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2014, 02:14:05 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
so expand it to 4 teams - mavs- phoenix - detroit

to Boston - isaiah thomas, greg monroe, brandon wright, mavs first round pick, lakers first from phoenix

to phoenix - sullinger & devan harris

to Dallas - rondo

to Detroit - bass and a celtic first

For Boston - we get a shooting point guard, to go along with shooters; green and olynyk, still need a go to guy at the two - we have him in the wings ... james young.  pick up two picks and lose one.  But we have more than we need.  We can give up more picks if needed.  Monroe and wright solidify center with both offense and defense.  I'd love to get the laker first which is why I'm willing to part with Sully - not sure if that would do it but I'd pay more if needed

« Reply #302 on: December 18, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I have checked it many times as Dalembert was a constant trade offering in my fantasy league last year. Multiple time I almost pulled the trigger but his play just wasn't that good. If Dalembert was rebounding like Dallas and Carlise needed him to rebound then why did they get bumped in the first round and then trade him to NY for a better center?

Like Kozlodoev said, I don't think Brandan Wright is a bad player. But in a trade for Rondo I would expect a lot more. And for our particular squad I don't see Wright succeeding due to being our 5th big man and not playing well for a rebuilding team where his role will most likely be expected to increase.

Holy mother of god...You use fantasy league value to form opinions here? I just...I don't know what to say. That is astounding. I can't even...yep, no words.

1> Wright doesn't need to be The Player You Build Around. He only needs to be an asset that increases in value given an opportunity to play full-time, to be traded for an even better asset, hopefully for TPYBA. 2> And, lucky for whichever team acquires Wright and puts him to full use, that's an opportunity he didn't get the last four years because -- again -- the big men he was splitting time with were all... established veterans, not just that but all players who had made All Star games, not only that but one of them is Dirk "One of the Best Players Ever" Nowitzki. None of those big men who kept Wright from getting bigger minutes were "journeymen". NONE. Tyson Chandler this year? No. Of course not. They all played well in the time they were alloted. Dalembert, for example, on a per-minute basis had one of his best years. Here, I'll condescend to post the link:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dalemsa01.html

Only pay attention to the per-36 numbers, because for the situation of having multiple big men platooning a position? That is all that matters. In his 20 minutes on the court, he was just as good as a player who in a full game would have averaged 12 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, on 57% shooting. That is peak Dalembert performance, All Star Dalembert, just reduced minutes. It looks like mediocre crap in a fantasy league, but in real life it's really valuable. Look, surprise, same goes for Brand and Kaman the year before:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2013.html

In their respective 20 minutes per game, they were each producing like efficient double-double borderline All Star caliber players. THAT'S VALUABLE. They produced like that because THEY ARE GOOD, but kind of OLD. Wright also produced like that, too, in similar minutes! Because? Because he is good. He would've played more, but there were older All-Star-ish guys ahead of him whom his coach liked to rely on more, for whatever reason, but including the fact that they were also good. This is not hard to understand. It's simple.

How in the world does such a basic topic need to be covered on a message board with presumably not-illiterate Boston sports fans?

And how can anyone in the world possibly think we'd snag not just Julius Randle but ALSO an unprotected first for Rondo? And that's the LEAST you expect? Are you masochists? Delusional? Both? Do you enjoy being severely disappointed and outraged at your favorite team for no good reason? If not, then set your sights on a realistic return for Rondo. I am a diehard homer. I usually measure Celtics players through green-tinted glasses. But good lord, people, this is beyond pitiful, to the point of horrifying. You are living in a past that won't come back, not if you are hoping for a 7th overall pick from the most recent draft, let alone ANOTHER first, let alone with no protections. Take a good look at what most other teams traditionally get for their NON-underperforming SUPER-stars. Not even that much. You need perspective, or you are all going to be miserable, or make others miserable like you're making me right now. This is painful now, reading this thread, with few exceptions. Please get smarter about the NBA.

p.s. To the Leon Powe guy: Sure, Powe had good per-minute numbers, not as good as Wright's except for one year when he did not play as minutes as Wright. Still, he was good. We saw it.  Then he suffered, as you pointed out, a catastrophic injury. Had he not suffered it, he might have developed into a good full-time starter, if not here then elsewhere. Still, he was not even close to doing what Wright has done at nearly 20 minutes a game for FOUR straight years, especially the last two. Name anyone else in the league who has.

p.p.s. The comment directly above comparing Wright to Gerald Green is excruciatingly empty. Zero evidence, just a bunch of unqualified psychobabble. Are you a licensed therapist? How did you determine that it's more credible for you to armchair-psychoanalyze players than it is for me to use actual tangible facts about on-court production?

Is this thread indicative of the quality of this forum?

Someone's a little hostile.

Anyway, I have no doubt that the Dallas system can produce good numbers from decent big men in limited minutes. You'll find no disagreement there. The question, then, lies in whether or not Wright's performance will translate to a starting gig. I have some questions about whether or not he'd be able to pull it off.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2014, 02:24:32 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
He is an angry elf^

But seriously, has anyone brought up the possibility of a trade involving clint capela and montejunas?
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #304 on: December 18, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
He is an angry elf^

But seriously, has anyone brought up the possibility of a trade involving clint capela and montejunas?

Me...  ;D

Terry, D-Mo, Capela and Pelicans 2015 1st for Rondo! Maybe add Powell?

« Reply #305 on: December 18, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
I have checked it many times as Dalembert was a constant trade offering in my fantasy league last year. Multiple time I almost pulled the trigger but his play just wasn't that good. If Dalembert was rebounding like Dallas and Carlise needed him to rebound then why did they get bumped in the first round and then trade him to NY for a better center?

Like Kozlodoev said, I don't think Brandan Wright is a bad player. But in a trade for Rondo I would expect a lot more. And for our particular squad I don't see Wright succeeding due to being our 5th big man and not playing well for a rebuilding team where his role will most likely be expected to increase.

Holy mother of god...You use fantasy league value to form opinions here? I just...I don't know what to say. That is astounding. I can't even...yep, no words.

1> Wright doesn't need to be The Player You Build Around. He only needs to be an asset that increases in value given an opportunity to play full-time, to be traded for an even better asset, hopefully for TPYBA. 2> And, lucky for whichever team acquires Wright and puts him to full use, that's an opportunity he didn't get the last four years because -- again -- the big men he was splitting time with were all... established veterans, not just that but all players who had made All Star games, not only that but one of them is Dirk "One of the Best Players Ever" Nowitzki. None of those big men who kept Wright from getting bigger minutes were "journeymen". NONE. Tyson Chandler this year? No. Of course not. They all played well in the time they were alloted. Dalembert, for example, on a per-minute basis had one of his best years. Here, I'll condescend to post the link:

Only pay attention to the per-36 numbers, because for the situation of having multiple big men platooning a position? That is all that matters. In his 20 minutes on the court, he was just as good as a player who in a full game would have averaged 12 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, on 57% shooting. That is peak Dalembert performance, All Star Dalembert, just reduced minutes. It looks like mediocre crap in a fantasy league, but in real life it's really valuable. Look, surprise, same goes for Brand and Kaman the year before:

In their respective 20 minutes per game, they were each producing like efficient double-double borderline All Star caliber players. THAT'S VALUABLE. They produced like that because THEY ARE GOOD, but kind of OLD. Wright also produced like that, too, in similar minutes! Because? Because he is good. He would've played more, but there were older All-Star-ish guys ahead of him whom his coach liked to rely on more, for whatever reason, but including the fact that they were also good. This is not hard to understand. It's simple.

How in the world does such a basic topic need to be covered on a message board with presumably not-illiterate Boston sports fans?

And how can anyone in the world possibly think we'd snag not just Julius Randle but ALSO an unprotected first for Rondo? And that's the LEAST you expect? Are you masochists? Delusional? Both? Do you enjoy being severely disappointed and outraged at your favorite team for no good reason? If not, then set your sights on a realistic return for Rondo. I am a diehard homer. I usually measure Celtics players through green-tinted glasses. But good lord, people, this is beyond pitiful, to the point of horrifying. You are living in a past that won't come back, not if you are hoping for a 7th overall pick from the most recent draft, let alone ANOTHER first, let alone with no protections. Take a good look at what most other teams traditionally get for their NON-underperforming SUPER-stars. Not even that much. You need perspective, or you are all going to be miserable, or make others miserable like you're making me right now. This is painful now, reading this thread, with few exceptions. Please get smarter about the NBA.

p.s. To the Leon Powe guy: Sure, Powe had good per-minute numbers, not as good as Wright's except for one year when he did not play as minutes as Wright. Still, he was good. We saw it.  Then he suffered, as you pointed out, a catastrophic injury. Had he not suffered it, he might have developed into a good full-time starter, if not here then elsewhere. Still, he was not even close to doing what Wright has done at nearly 20 minutes a game for FOUR straight years, especially the last two. Name anyone else in the league who has.

p.p.s. The comment directly above comparing Wright to Gerald Green is excruciatingly empty. Zero evidence, just a bunch of unqualified psychobabble. Are you a licensed therapist? How did you determine that it's more credible for you to armchair-psychoanalyze players than it is for me to use actual tangible facts about on-court production?

responding to the insult laden points directed at me, others may join in if they wish.

why the tone of degradation, insults, and mocking? none of them convinced anyone of the value of your points, improved your arguments, or enhanced your ability to be a colleague. your points are fine, your tone is unnecessary and degrades and demeans.

we are here for enjoyment. the real world is a harsh and hostile place and cb is an often fun and collegial place to pass the time. let's not screw this up as well.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #306 on: December 18, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He is an angry elf^

Me...  ;D

Need (a lot) more incoming salary for this to happen. Need to add Papanikolaou to this as a min, or swap Ariza for Terry.

Not so sure how I feel about Ariza's contract.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #307 on: December 18, 2014, 02:38:17 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
He is an angry elf^

Me...  ;D

Need (a lot) more incoming salary for this to happen. Need to add Papanikolaou to this as a min, or swap Ariza for Terry.

Not so sure how I feel about Ariza's contract.

It needs like 500k more to work ....  :-[

« Reply #308 on: December 18, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
None of that rant proves Wright is good return for Rondo or prove Wright is a good prospect either. Getting beat by so many has-beens for PT isn't promising.

« Reply #309 on: December 18, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Ramona Shelburne ?@ramonashelburne  · 6m6 minutes ago 
Adding to @ESPNSteinLine report on Rondo from yesterday. Sources tell ESPN the Lakers also offered Boston multiple picks & Nash for Rondo

Lakers can't trade their pick this year, and any other pick of theirs isn't likely to be worth it.  Glad we passed.
They can offer the Houston pick this year or the right to swap their better pick which they would keep if it was in the top 5.

How about making the trade bigger:

Outgoing:
Rondo
Green

Incoming:
Randle
Lin (expiring deal)
Nash (expiring deal)
Have the Lakers thrown in at least 1 if not 2 future firsts. (2016, and 2018 picks)

That should appease Kobe although I'd hate to see Green and Rondo on the Lakers.

« Reply #310 on: December 18, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Ramona Shelburne ?@ramonashelburne  · 6m6 minutes ago 
Adding to @ESPNSteinLine report on Rondo from yesterday. Sources tell ESPN the Lakers also offered Boston multiple picks & Nash for Rondo

Lakers can't trade their pick this year, and any other pick of theirs isn't likely to be worth it.  Glad we passed.
They can offer the Houston pick this year or the right to swap their better pick which they would keep if it was in the top 5.

How about making the trade bigger:

Outgoing:
Rondo
Green

Incoming:
Randle
Lin (expiring deal)
Nash (expiring deal)
Have the Lakers thrown in at least 1 if not 2 future firsts. (2016, and 2018 picks)

That should appease Kobe although I'd hate to see Green and Rondo on the Lakers.
This might be the worst trade yet. Randle, Lin and Nash are basically nothing. I also don't have faith that LA will be that bad in 2016 or 2018. Just seems like we might as well let him walk at the end of the season instead of do that potentially disastrous trade.

« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

responding to the insult laden points directed at me, others may join in if they wish.

why the tone of degradation, insults, and mocking? none of them convinced anyone of the value of your points, improved your arguments, or enhanced your ability to be a colleague. your points are fine, your tone is unnecessary and degrades and demeans.

The point about actual superstars bringing in less than a #7 pick + an unprotected 1st is pretty silly given that the last quasi-superstar to move brought in the last 2 #1 overall picks.  The poster may have been too busy bemoaning the curse of superior intellect to remember that, though.

« Reply #312 on: December 18, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Rondo and Green to Milwaukee for Sanders, Parker, and Giannis.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #313 on: December 18, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
None of those big men who kept Wright from getting bigger minutes were "journeymen"
Dalembert, 5 different teams over the last 5 seasons. Minutes in the mid-20s to high teens. He was so great that pretty much everyone who had him has let him go.

Kaman, 4 different teams over the last 4 seaons. Pretty much the same case as Dalembert.

Tyson Chandler is perhaps the only one from the lot that isn't a jorneyman at this stage of this career.

Wright is not an "asset". His contract expires at the end of this season. You're not going to get much in return at the trade deadline, and if he plays out of his mind as a starter, he'll get paid if the offseason.

As for the rest of the stuff... consider  the possibility that you are wrong.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2014, 02:47:29 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Rondo and Green to Milwaukee for Sanders, Parker, and Giannis.

Really funny! TP.