Author Topic: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade  (Read 111323 times)

Re: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade
« Reply #270 on: December 18, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Take this for what it's worth but a poster named Cybex who has predicted moves in the past on the Houston Rockets forum stated this about shopping Rondo.

So this is how this is working... A lot of you are asking how things go down etc.

Ainge is leaking all this to all the big reporters - Amick, Stein, Woj, Spears... Just to name a few.

He obviously has an agenda. He is trying to get the price up, up, up! He leaks the names of these teams so people can put their offers out there and compete. This is obviously his reasoning behind all this.

He really wants the Lakers to give their first (Rox first), Randle, and also Nash's expiring (which the costs are mostly covered by insurance).

It is now becoming more of a bidding war.
if Ainge wanted Randle he could've picked him at 6th...so this makes no sense...and the lakers got a ton of cap room to sign one or two max players next years plus keeping Randle...

depends on who panics first. I think Danny is more of a patient GM. If he were to really trade Rondo, he is going to sell high and not what Jackie McMullan said about selling for 75 cents for the dollar.

I want Rondo to stay but if I were to sell Rondo, I want 2 first round picks and a prospect

This might not happen but I like MCW, but they're not going to trade him along with 2 first rounders for Rondo just for Rondo to bolt in the offseason

You cant get dollar for dollar for rondo. Quarter of the season is gone already, rondo is a ufa. You cant expect the world back

2 1sts is reasonable but i dont think dallas wants to give up the 2nd 1st. Or danny is trying to trade Wright, felton,/nelson to a third team. Cavs can use wright imo

« Reply #271 on: December 18, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Quote from: Dino Pitino [tt
[/tt]link=topic=74828.msg1781784#msg1781784 date=1418919760]
If Brandan Wright is so good, why has he been at 18 MPG for Dallas for a full three years?

Ever heard of Dirk Nowitzki? There's also a guy named Tyson Chandler there this year. Samuel Dalembert last year. Before that, Elton Brand and Chris Kaman. Plus, apparently Rick Carlisle has not been too interested in playing non-veterans. And still Wright got almost 20 minutes a game, which he has been maximizing the crap out of, more and more every year.

p.s. Good catch above by whoever I just awarded a Tommy Point to, that it's not just PER but just about all the advanced metrics that love Wright. Please don't let baseball fans look wiser than basketball fans, it's just an accident of their sport being less complex that they wound up being first to appreciate the general usefulness of advanced metrics. Fortunately most NBA front offices are almost all caught up.

He's Leon Powe with more length. A devasting offensive garbage man who doesn't do much else well but he doesn't try to do more.

Any evidence for that comparison, or do you describe all efficient big men playing non-starter minutes in the NBA according to a Powe matrix? Kelly Olynyk is just a tall Leon Powe with longer hair, less melanin, and more finesse...hmmm, this could be useful, actually. Powe Shares, anyone?

FYI: I am not totally convinced Wright is going to be really good or even good if he gets played starter minutes against starters. I just think the odds are good. I still want the draft picks Dallas has, first and foremost. Two picks, preferably. Both first rounders. Preferably 2015 and 2017, because as I said above the West is so brutal this year that Dallas could slip entirely out of the playoffs with a single major injury. Bird in the hand, one in the bush, and also Brandan Wright. Not as an afterthought, because I really do think he's got sleeper All-Star potential. But if it were just Wright plus, say, two second round picks, I would be livid at Ainge.

You make your own point flawed by pointing out Wright couldn't get by Dalembert (awful last year and this year with NY), Brand (played only 20 minutes a game) and Kaman (Also only played 20 minutes a game) on the depth chart. He is what he is. An 18 minutes a game player who is great at putting in garbage layups, taking up space in the paint on D, and rebounding at a somewhat but not all the sufficient clip. His ceiling (which he has already reached) is at best a third big man on a contending team. If he comes to Boston then Sully, KO, Bass and Zeller are already ahead of him on the depth chart.

No, my point is not flawed. Dalembert, in 20 minutes a game himself, was good last year. Check his per-minute stats. He did not suck. He was not average. And, he was rebounding like Dallas needed a big man to rebound or like Carlisle the established-veteran-preferrer thought Dallas needed a big man to rebound. I hesitate to post a link to Dalembert's Reference page, because I feel that would be condescending to you. Go check it yourself.

Also, when there is Dirk Nowitzki, there is not much room left for any other big men, and so the fact that minutes were split between Wright and Kaman or Wright and Dalembert is not really an indictment of any of their play. It doesn't mean what you think it means. Also, you seem completely oblivious to the fact that trading Rondo would mean the end of Bass, too, and you cannot possibly be serious about Zeller remaining a priority over Wright, who would be the team's only competent interior defender. Your evidence and logic is worse than weak sauce, it is not even sauce. If there were an Anti-Tommy Point, I would give it to you. Please do not respond to this, it would bore me silly to have to correct you again.

I agree with pearljammer and fafnir.  You haven't proven any point about Wright.  Wright is not a significant upgrade over any pf we have on the roster.  He wasn't able to break into the starting lineup against journeyman level bigs.  He isn't a bad player, but he doesn't move the needle much, and he certainly isn't someone you build around.

I have checked it many times as Dalembert was a constant trade offering in my fantasy league last year. Multiple time I almost pulled the trigger but his play just wasn't that good. If Dalembert was rebounding like Dallas and Carlise needed him to rebound then why did they get bumped in the first round and then trade him to NY for a better center?

Like Kozlodoev said, I don't think Brandan Wright is a bad player. But in a trade for Rondo I would expect a lot more. And for our particular squad I don't see Wright succeeding due to being our 5th big man and not playing well for a rebuilding team where his role will most likely be expected to increase.

« Reply #272 on: December 18, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Take this for what it's worth but a poster named Cybex who has predicted moves in the past on the Houston Rockets forum stated this about shopping Rondo.

So this is how this is working... A lot of you are asking how things go down etc.

Ainge is leaking all this to all the big reporters - Amick, Stein, Woj, Spears... Just to name a few.

He obviously has an agenda. He is trying to get the price up, up, up! He leaks the names of these teams so people can put their offers out there and compete. This is obviously his reasoning behind all this.

He really wants the Lakers to give their first (Rox first), Randle, and also Nash's expiring (which the costs are mostly covered by insurance).

If they added a future unprotected first and Wallace to the deal, it might not be too bad.

LAL: Rondo, Wallace

BOS: Nash, Randle, Lin, 2015 1st (if top 5), unprotected 2019 LAL 1st

I mean, you almost have to risk it to try and get that first for this year. Even with Rondo and Kobe, they're not a playoff team, though I don't think they're a bottom five team either.

I wonder if there is a way to do a three team trade with the Suns and Lakers with us routing Rondo to LA and Green/Bass or something like that to Phoenix in order to ensure that pick.

« Reply #273 on: December 18, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

If they added a future unprotected first and Wallace to the deal, it might not be too bad.

I mean, you almost have to risk it to try and get that first for this year. Even with Rondo and Kobe, they're not a playoff team, though I don't think they're a bottom five team either.

I wonder if there is a way to do a three team trade with the Suns and Lakers with us routing Rondo to LA and Green/Bass or something like that to Phoenix in order to ensure that pick.
I think we would be lucky to get Nash, Randle and an unprotected 2019 first for Rondo. I don't think there's anyway we can also add in their first this year and get rid of Wallace for an expiring. You are dreaming too big.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #274 on: December 18, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I was wondering the same thing but it's difficult to do that.

Essentially once you trade Rondo to LAL you assume that the pick is headed to PHO. So, PHO needs to be compensated for a pick - likely in the 10-15 range (though possibly higher or lower, who knows how much better LAL is with Rondo). They might want something like KO in return.

And LAL is basically trading its top 5 pick for Rondo, so they aren't going to give up more than that.

Hence we would be almost paying two teams for one 1st round pick. Is Rondo + KO worth a mid-first rounder? I say no way.

« Reply #275 on: December 18, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
If the package were Randle, unprotected first in the next two years and nash's expiring id be fine with that
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Essentially once you trade Rondo to LAL you assume that the pick is headed to PHO. So, PHO needs to be compensated for a pick - likely in the 10-15 range (though possibly higher or lower, who knows how much better LAL is with Rondo). They might want something like KO in return.

And LAL is basically trading its top 5 pick for Rondo, so they aren't going to give up more than that.

Hence we would be almost paying two teams for one 1st round pick. Is Rondo + KO worth a mid-first rounder? I say no way.

Highly doubt LA gets their pick. Right now they're the 8th worst team, and pretty much everyone expects them to win just enough to lose the pick. Adding Wallace is probably a bit much, but something like this doesn't seem too unreasonable:
LA: Rondo

Phoenix: Green, 2015 Clips 1st

Bos: Nash, Randle, Tucker (unfortunate salary filler), 2015 Lakers 1st (w/ no restrictions), 2019 Lakers 1st

Basically, that's swapping the Clips pick with the Lakers pick from Phoenix in addition to giving them Green for Tucker, which is fair I think.

« Reply #277 on: December 18, 2014, 12:48:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If the package were Randle, unprotected first in the next two years and nash's expiring id be fine with that
thats roughly the deal I've wanted for a while, but it sounds like rondo's trade value right now is late 1st rounder and backup big man vet.   Don't count on getting anything substantial.

« Reply #278 on: December 18, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
thats roughly the deal I've wanted for a while, but it sounds like rondo's trade value right now is late 1st rounder and backup big man vet.   Don't count on getting anything substantial.

Heck, Id take randle and nash. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #279 on: December 18, 2014, 01:01:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Highly doubt LA gets their pick. Right now they're the 8th worst team, and pretty much everyone expects them to win just enough to lose the pick. Adding Wallace is probably a bit much, but something like this doesn't seem too unreasonable:

Bos: Nash, Randle, Tucker (unfortunate salary filler), 2015 Lakers 1st (w/ no restrictions), 2019 Lakers 1st

Basically, that's swapping the Clips pick with the Lakers pick from Phoenix in addition to giving them Green for Tucker, which is fair I think.
way too much to give up.
Rondo, Green, 1st
for
Nash (non-factor --- just salary filler)
Randle (injured PF prospect that plays worse D than our current PF prospects who've shown they can actually play in the NBA)
Tucker (more salary filler)
Laker 1st this year (which will become end of lottery in short order once Rondo joins the Lakers and they lose no one who is currently producing for them)
Future Laker 1st (pick is so far out that Kobe's killer contract will be off the books and they'll have gobs of $ to lure FAs to their team -- highly doubt that pick is anywhere near a lotto pick)

deal leaves us without a starting PG or SF to boot.  don't like this deal whatsoever.

« Reply #280 on: December 18, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

way too much to give up.
Rondo, Green, 1st
for
Nash (non-factor --- just salary filler)
Randle (injured PF prospect that plays worse D than our current PF prospects who've shown they can actually play in the NBA)
Tucker (more salary filler)
Laker 1st this year (which will become end of lottery in short order once Rondo joins the Lakers and they lose no one who is currently producing for them)
Future Laker 1st (pick is so far out that Kobe's killer contract will be off the books and they'll have gobs of $ to lure FAs to their team -- highly doubt that pick is anywhere near a lotto pick)

deal leaves us without a starting PG or SF to boot.  don't like this deal whatsoever.

One person says it's too much another says it's not enough! There's no winning around here! lol

« Reply #281 on: December 18, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I do not trust PER, either. But it suffices as shorthand.
Except one of the known flaws of the PER shorthand is that it is not reliable in short minutes. Wright has never played more  than 19 mpg so evaluating him based on his PER is kind of worthless.

Nice framing with "never played more", seeing how he's also never played less than 18-19 minutes a game with Dallas the last four years, either. And "19" is kind of like "$19.99" here, in that it's essentially 20 minutes. 20 minutes, a nice rounded number, does not feel like "short minutes" nearly as much, does it? Especially when it's been evenly spread across 4 seasons, about 200 games, and about 3500 total minutes. PER, if it is useful, is useful precisely to be able to measure the performance of players like Wright. So, pretty much the exact opposite of the point you tried to make.

The bottom line is that he's already 27, he's more undersized than any of our other undersized bigs, and will  generally be redundant on our roster.

"Already", more nice framing. He just turned 27 this October. He'll still be 27 around the time training camp rolls around next year. He's also a young 27, in terms of career minutes, and his performance is getting better, not yet hitting a plateau.

He's not undersized in terms of height, since his vertical is about 40 inches and his wingspan is about 7'5", which...how many other players in the league have that combination? His physique could get heavier, maybe. That's what teams have a nutritionist and a gym for.

He's only redundant right now, today. Bass isn't in our plans if Rondo goes. Now we're talking Sullinger, Wright, Olynyk, Zeller. Four big men...that's frontcourt redundancy? If so, not one of the others could serve as trade bait for another pick or player? And if Wright sustains his per-minute performance full-time, he wouldn't be the most valuable?
It's only "framing" if you have no idea what you're taking about.

Wright has averaged between 18.0 and 18.7 mpg over his last three seasons (including the current one), and his career mpg is 15.9. That's not "essentially 20 minutes". In fact, he didn't even play 800 minutes in a single season until his 5th year in the league.

And yes, he's 27 already. He may also be 27 at the start of next year, but that's beside the point. The real framing comes from people that are trying to present him as some sort of young, up-and-coming prospect that may develop into a starting center down the road.

As it was mentioned, Wright is what he is -- a decent player who can give you a shot in the arm under the right circumstances, but has been a career backup so far. Make of this what you will.
as is often the case, koz brings key points to the table. thanks.

assuming that the trade goes through as predicted, what sort of player is brandan wright? i checked draft express, articles, etc. and found that in terms of raw physical talent he is outstanding. jumps through the roof, can block shots all over the court, nearly unstoppable offensive moves, he is gifted.

so, why the underwhelming career? there in lies the rub. the key problems with wright are his "intensity" and willingness to improve his game. that is, he lacks heart and desire.

these are serious drawbacks. as we saw with other players (olowokandi, kwame,  j. b. carroll being examples) all those skills and talents don't go very far unless you have desire and drive in the nba.

in short, he reminds me a bit of gerald green, lots of ability but missing something upstairs. (gg's problem was more IQ than desire though.)

so...has wright developed as much as he ever will? or will the light go on and will he apply and use those talents? personally, i think the odds are low that he will transform his game. but then again, look at gerald green. it took him years to finally figure things out and become a good player in the nba.

if wright ever does change how he approaches the game, he is a phenomenal talent. he will be the center the celtics need. he will be a star.

but what a huge "if" that is indeed. should the trade go through, let's see if CBS can motivate wright and transform him. if not, then what you now see is what the celtics will have.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #282 on: December 18, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
per stein , something along the lines- Rockets likely wont give up much for Rondo and rather pursue Dragic. 

Rondo would not be a good fit for the Rockets anyways. You got a choice to hack a howard or rondo with less than 2 min

« Reply #283 on: December 18, 2014, 01:30:06 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I have checked it many times as Dalembert was a constant trade offering in my fantasy league last year. Multiple time I almost pulled the trigger but his play just wasn't that good. If Dalembert was rebounding like Dallas and Carlise needed him to rebound then why did they get bumped in the first round and then trade him to NY for a better center?

Like Kozlodoev said, I don't think Brandan Wright is a bad player. But in a trade for Rondo I would expect a lot more. And for our particular squad I don't see Wright succeeding due to being our 5th big man and not playing well for a rebuilding team where his role will most likely be expected to increase.

Holy mother of god...You use fantasy league value to form opinions here? I just...I don't know what to say. That is astounding. I can't even...yep, no words.

1> Wright doesn't need to be The Player You Build Around. He only needs to be an asset that increases in value given an opportunity to play full-time, to be traded for an even better asset, hopefully for TPYBA. 2> And, lucky for whichever team acquires Wright and puts him to full use, that's an opportunity he didn't get the last four years because -- again -- the big men he was splitting time with were all... established veterans, not just that but all players who had made All Star games, not only that but one of them is Dirk "One of the Best Players Ever" Nowitzki. None of those big men who kept Wright from getting bigger minutes were "journeymen". NONE. Tyson Chandler this year? No. Of course not. They all played well in the time they were alloted. Dalembert, for example, on a per-minute basis had one of his best years. Here, I'll condescend to post the link:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dalemsa01.html

Only pay attention to the per-36 numbers, because for the situation of having multiple big men platooning a position? That is all that matters. In his 20 minutes on the court, he was just as good as a player who in a full game would have averaged 12 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, on 57% shooting. That is peak Dalembert performance, All Star Dalembert, just reduced minutes. It looks like mediocre crap in a fantasy league, but in real life it's really valuable. Look, surprise, same goes for Brand and Kaman the year before:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2013.html

In their respective 20 minutes per game, they were each producing like efficient double-double borderline All Star caliber players. THAT'S VALUABLE. They produced like that because THEY ARE GOOD, but kind of OLD. Wright also produced like that, too, in similar minutes! Because? Because he is good. He would've played more, but there were older All-Star-ish guys ahead of him whom his coach liked to rely on more, for whatever reason, but including the fact that they were also good. This is not hard to understand. It's simple.

How in the world does such a basic topic need to be covered on a message board with presumably not-illiterate Boston sports fans?

And how can anyone in the world possibly think we'd snag not just Julius Randle but ALSO an unprotected first for Rondo? And that's the LEAST you expect? Are you masochists? Delusional? Both? Do you enjoy being severely disappointed and outraged at your favorite team for no good reason? If not, then set your sights on a realistic return for Rondo. I am a diehard homer. I usually measure Celtics players through green-tinted glasses. But good lord, people, this is beyond pitiful, to the point of horrifying. You are living in a past that won't come back, not if you are hoping for a 7th overall pick from the most recent draft, let alone ANOTHER first, let alone with no protections. Take a good look at what most other teams traditionally get for their NON-underperforming SUPER-stars. Not even that much. You need perspective, or you are all going to be miserable, or make others miserable like you're making me right now. This is painful now, reading this thread, with few exceptions. Please get smarter about the NBA.

p.s. To the Leon Powe guy: Sure, Powe had good per-minute numbers, not as good as Wright's except for one year when he did not play as minutes as Wright. Still, he was good. We saw it.  Then he suffered, as you pointed out, a catastrophic injury. Had he not suffered it, he might have developed into a good full-time starter, if not here then elsewhere. Still, he was not even close to doing what Wright has done at nearly 20 minutes a game for FOUR straight years, especially the last two. Name anyone else in the league who has.

p.p.s. The comment directly above comparing Wright to Gerald Green is excruciatingly empty. Zero evidence, just a bunch of unqualified psychobabble. Are you a licensed therapist? How did you determine that it's more credible for you to armchair-psychoanalyze players than it is for me to use actual tangible facts about on-court production?

Is this thread indicative of the quality of this forum?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #284 on: December 18, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Hope (in a tweet from Woj) that Ainge is playing Rox and Mavs off each other to squeeze the best deal:

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fbasketball.realgm.com%2Fnba%2Fteams%2FBoston-Celtics%2F2%2FHome&tw_i=545646172195786752&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=349949388812070912

Dallas and Houston have continued talks today with Boston on a Rajon Rondo trade, league sources tell Yahoo. A lot of scenarios in play.

Big battle in the state of Texas brewing...hopefully.