Author Topic: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade  (Read 111249 times)

Re: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
How is it leverage?

The offer is absolute garbage.

Just meaning the actual terms of a trade offer getting thrown out there to entice other teams to "up the ante."

I agree with Who's implied point, though:  it's pretty risky to publicize this sort of package as something that the Celtics are considering, because other teams may think that Danny is backed into a corner.

For instance, why would the Kings offer up Staukas and a #1 (for instance), if the Celtics are considering accepting significantly less value?

I think the unknown nature of the other picks is the kicker. Other teams might see it as, "Oh, Dallas is giving them two firsts for Rondo. We better try and offer better talent and at least similar draft compensation." But I could be wrong. The offer is garbage.

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 12:00:36 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
When Ainge traded Pierce and Garnett every Celtics fan hated it.

It will take time to appreciate but if Ainge gets that 2018 1st and it ends up in the lottery when Rondo is in his mid-30s on an expensive contract, we'll be delighted.
False.

Many of us were very happy with the Pierce and Garnett trade when it happened.

Didn't really hit up these forums back then. Just knew Celtics fans in my neighborhood. They weren't pleased.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 12:01:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--celtics-rajon-rondo-212808679.html

details on what is going on right now

The first two sentences of that piece really tick me off.

The Boston Celtics are engaged in discussions on several fronts to trade All-Star guard Rajon Rondo, with the Dallas Mavericks emerging as a motivated suitor, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Boston has been exchanging proposals with several teams on Rondo, including the Mavericks and Houston Rockets, sources said.

With this kind of a track record, who would ever want to play for the Celtics as long as Danny Ainge is here?  I know that I sure as hell wouldn't.  The franchise - yes.  Management - hell no.   
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:08:49 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:39 AM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

It will take time to appreciate but if Ainge gets that 2018 1st and it ends up in the lottery when Rondo is in his mid-30s on an expensive contract, we'll be delighted.
False.

Didn't really hit up these forums back then. Just knew Celtics fans in my neighborhood. They weren't pleased.

LOL, this literally made me laugh out loud. TP to you sir!

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Before a deal is consummated, Dallas needs to confer with Rondo's agent, Bill Duffy, about the franchise's ability to re-sign him as a free agent in the summer. Those conversations wouldn't happen until an agreement is in place.

Does this mean, the deal is in place. Mavs get to talk to Rondo's agent. But if Rondo's agent flat out tells the Mavs he can't promise anything, then the deal is off??

Confusing, bc usually the talk with the agent happens first then a deal is agreed upon after

In case, if you missed my last post/question.

Someone able to elaborate?

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:21 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

False.

I'm still not.  You will never get equal value for legends, and that move was the absolute last straw for me with Ainge.  I'm surprised that he wasn't given a security detail, lol ;D.  Red must have been rolling in his grave.  He NEVER would have done that, and his daughter told that to Slam in an interview shortly thereafter said deal was completed.  I knew that Danny had been threatening to deal guys like Pierce for years, but I never thought that he'd actually do it, and it disgusts me.  That is not how you treat all time greats.

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:25 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

The Boston Celtics are engaged in discussions on several fronts to trade All-Star guard Rajon Rondo, with the Dallas Mavericks emerging as a motivated suitor, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Boston has been exchanging proposals with several teams on Rondo, including the Mavericks and Houston Rockets, sources said.

With this kind of track record, who would ever want to play for the Celtics as long as Danny Ainge is here?  I know that I sure as hell wouldn't.  The franchise - yes.  Management - hell no.

Correctly managing a franchise means value is prioritized over sentimentality. Playing for Danny would be a heck of a lot better than playing for a front office constantly screwing up.

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:35 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
How is it leverage?

Just meaning the actual terms of a trade offer getting thrown out there to entice other teams to "up the ante."

I agree with Who's implied point, though:  it's pretty risky to publicize this sort of package as something that the Celtics are considering, because other teams may think that Danny is backed into a corner.

For instance, why would the Kings offer up Staukas and a #1 (for instance), if the Celtics are considering accepting significantly less value?

Hopefully, because Vivek doesn't understand basketball as well as he thinks he does and is coming across as a bit of a nut.  I'm not sure I'd put much past him at this point.  Perhaps he foresees Rondo as the cherry picker in his 4 on 5 defense or his Jazz director.  ;D

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:40 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

False.

I didn't like it but I knew Ainge knows more than I do. I still miss Cap and Genie. I like how it's going so far and we haven't even cashed in yet... if we had to do it, it was never a bad deal but I'm sad we had too.  :'(
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:52 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

False.

LOL, this literally made me laugh out loud. TP to you sir!

Lol, TP back at you good sir.

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

With this kind of track record, who would ever want to play for the Celtics as long as Danny Ainge is here?  I know that I sure as hell wouldn't.  The franchise - yes.  Management - hell no.
i mean... ainge has tried to dump rondo for years.  He tried the same thing with Ray and when Ray understandably signed with the Heat, people here bashed him.  I supported Ray... it was the right move to make.  If Rondo hits free agency, he's leaving.  Hence why we're on the verge of trading him for a late 1st round pick.

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 12:05:09 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
My guess would be that the leak is more likely to be coming from the Dallas end of the deal than Boston, with the goal to try to pressure Ainge into thinking that he's not going to have a better offer come along by getting the media, who seem to all think Rondo should be traded, to be a Greek chorus saying that Ainge has to agree.  I also think Ainge is the sort who would be mostly immune to such public criticism, if that is indeed the goal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 12:07:58 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
How is it leverage?

my thoughts exactly.

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 12:09:24 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Tomorrow morning is going to be like an early Christmas hoping to wake up to news of a good trade!

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 12:09:39 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Danny is not doing that trade , such a garbage deal