Author Topic: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade  (Read 111371 times)

Re: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 11:48:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I don't think it is leverage. I think it reflects Rondo's actual trade value. His season has been inconsistent, he is near the end of his contract, and he has indicated an interest in exploring free agency after the season.

^

At the very least it's part of the plan of it getting leaked, because that's just good business. Sacramento/Houston/New York can offer better players with higher upsides/potential. They don't have as many picks to throw at us, but we can always go the Brooklyn route and request several years to have the ability to take the better pick of theirs and ours.

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 11:49:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
How is it leverage?

The offer is absolute garbage.

Just meaning the actual terms of a trade offer getting thrown out there to entice other teams to "up the ante." But I'm with you... it's garbage. Unless it's two unprotected 1sts for him, it's a big gamble that Dallas will fall apart in the next several years. Though being in the West does help them out.

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 11:49:36 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
When Ainge traded Pierce and Garnett every Celtics fan hated it.

It will take time to appreciate but if Ainge gets that 2018 1st and it ends up in the lottery when Rondo is in his mid-30s on an expensive contract, we'll be delighted.

I mostly agree with you, but if you can get far enough into the future, almost any future scenario can be painted as rosy.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 11:51:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 11:51:53 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
How is it leverage?

Agree...I'd rather he walk than we take that crap offer or S&T him over the summer....I'm ok with trading Rondo, just not for Dallas' scrubs and a first almost 4 years from now....

Trading Rondo should further the rebuild NOW.... Not lengthen it for four more years

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 11:51:57 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

It will take time to appreciate but if Ainge gets that 2018 1st and it ends up in the lottery when Rondo is in his mid-30s on an expensive contract, we'll be delighted.

I mostly agree with you, but if you can get far enough into the future, almost any future scenario can be painted as rosy.

No argument there, but Dallas' best player will likely be run down or retired by the time that pick comes around. Not too hard to paint that future scenario as rosy.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Brandon Wright and a 1st, that's more than i thought we would ever get for Rondo.  Do it Danny!

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 11:52:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How is it leverage?

Just meaning the actual terms of a trade offer getting thrown out there to entice other teams to "up the ante."

I agree with Who's implied point, though:  it's pretty risky to publicize this sort of package as something that the Celtics are considering, because other teams may think that Danny is backed into a corner.

For instance, why would the Kings offer up Staukas and a #1 (for instance), if the Celtics are considering accepting significantly less value?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This may as well have its own thread.

The Boston Celtics, after years of flirting with potential Rajon Rondo deals, are in substantive discussions on a trade that would send Rondo to the Dallas Mavericks, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Celtics and Mavericks have been discussing a swap that would furnish Boston with multiple draft picks -- including at least one future first-rounder -- as well as blossoming Mavericks center Brandan Wright and other players needed to make the salary-cap math work.

Sources say the Celtics also have been talking to teams such as the Sacramento Kings and New York Knicks about potential Rondo deals?, but that the most advanced discussions so far have been with Dallas.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12045409/rajon-rondo-subject-boston-celtics-dallas-mavericks-trade-talks

How many folks just got a little sick to their stomach?  A bench player (one who I like, but still a bench player), a late #1, and salary fodder?

I'm dead inside, so not me, lol. ;D  However, I do feel it necessary to point out that Ainge looks to be going for Antoine 2.0, in terms of deals.  Really?  For another mid-to-late first round pick?  Hmm...  Does Danny have some kind of secret agreement with Cuban that we don't know about, like -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbcS1F0axk

I couldn't find a gif of this scene, which is rather odd, but whatever.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 11:55:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
However, I do feel it necessary to point out that Ainge looks to be going for Antoine 2.0, in terms of deals. 

Hopefully we get the modern equivalent of Jiri Welsch.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 11:56:01 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Well I for one am getting excited for the Raymond Felton Era.

Chubby buddy for Sully.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 11:56:26 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
1.  Rondo in Dallas would absolutely sick.  Serving up the ball to Ellis, Dirk and Chandler?

2.  Unless Dallas is willing to throw 2 firsts, at least one unprotected, I can't see any deal getting done.

Mike

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 11:56:41 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Sherrod said Brand Wright among the names what the hell is going on? This is just Sherrod being Sherrod right?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Before a deal is consummated, Dallas needs to confer with Rondo's agent, Bill Duffy, about the franchise's ability to re-sign him as a free agent in the summer. Those conversations wouldn't happen until an agreement is in place.

Does this mean, the deal is in place. Mavs get to talk to Rondo's agent. But if Rondo's agent flat out tells the Mavs he can't promise anything, then the deal is off??

Confusing, bc usually the talk with the agent happens first then a deal is agreed upon after

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 11:58:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

False.

Many of us were very happy with the Pierce and Garnett trade when it happened.