Author Topic: Sony cancels release of "The Interview"  (Read 8424 times)

Sony cancels release of "The Interview"
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:23:44 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-interview-pulled-amc-regal-cinemark-105457697412.html

"The country’s top five theater circuits have decided not to play Sony’s The Interview, a knowledgeable source tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, Carmike Cinemas and Cineplex Entertainment have all decided against showing the film.

I personally am only familiar with Regal and AMC, not sure if showplace is going to show the movie.  Personally I am happy with this decision.  Best not to poke the bear if you ask me. 

Personally I can't believe this movie got greenlighted in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:02:57 PM by Rondo2287 »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: 5 Movie Chains drop, "The Interview" after threats from sony hackers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
That's really disappointing.  I don't really have any interest in this movie, but I don't like the idea of capitulating to empty threats like this.  It's like how South Park had their episode pulled because of threats from "Revolution Muslim" - aka a couple of kids in New York with a blog.  All this will do is invite more death threats to other movies on any sensitive topics and you know what?  It might not even do that.  Either way it's just pointless ugh I hate censorship

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:32:16 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Bad decision by the theaters...bad decision by Sony to approve the movie in the first place.

Nothing good coming out of the situation and lots of people being embarrassed and having personal information stolen. 

Rak

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
That's really disappointing.  I don't really have any interest in this movie, but I don't like the idea of capitulating to empty threats like this.  It's like how South Park had their episode pulled because of threats from "Revolution Muslim" - aka a couple of kids in New York with a blog.  All this will do is invite more death threats to other movies on any sensitive topics and you know what?  It might not even do that.  Either way it's just pointless ugh I hate censorship

For me, its kinda like this.  Am I worried about possibly offending a reasonable person without possible access to WMD's in the name of comedy?  No not really.  Am I worried about offending a crazy man and brainwashed country who have possible access to WMD's?  Ya kinda.

I personally don't care about the threat from the sony hackers, Im just more worried about ticking off North Korea
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
man... for a while I was pretty convinced most of this was viral marketing.  Not the Sony hack itself, mind you... but when it first came out that North Korea felt the movie was an act of terrorism, my first instinct was, "Well... even if that's true, I'm sure the studio is eating this up and getting their press contacts to run this story.  It's HUGE marketing for the movie". 

Then when the Sony hack happened (has it been confirmed that Korea was involved?) and stories came out that it was the North Koreans retaliating against the movie, my instinct was to think, "Well... way to turn a bad situation into a positive.  Might as well make the most of these hacks and pretend like it's angry North Korea... that way they can at least get some huge press for this movie.  Very smart viral marketing".

Then when it came out that Rogan and Franco were cancelling all their media appearances, my instinct was to think, "Hah... clever.  They don't need to even make media appearances at this point.  The act of cancelling will be such a big story that it will generate even more hype for the film.  Really smart.  Pretend like they are getting death threats... get people super interested in the movie.  Genius viral marketing!"

Then when it came out they were cancelling in response to threats made by North Korea to "9/11" theaters showing it...   umm... ok...  yeah... that's probably not viral marketing.  Even if the general public realizes it's unlikely that North Korea is going to bomb movies... umm... people are going to avoid going.   

Then when it came out that theaters are dropping the movie.  Wow.... Not viral marketing.  This is crazy.

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102276868

Sony has now cancelled the release of the movie

Re: Sony cancels release of "The Interview"
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
As much as I want to see this film being a Rogen/Franco fan....I'll never forget the first time I saw the trailer and said outloud, "Wow, this is so wrong... There is no way this is gonna fly."

Hopefully this will somehow be released in some way shape or form.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I thought "we don't give in to terrorists"?

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
This is BS.  What country is this?

I have no interest in seeing the movie, but placating an oppressive, tyrannical,downright crazy regime like North Korea is a terrible decision.  Sony should be ashamed.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I understand why the theaters gave in, but this makes sad.  It's a terrible precedent.

I guess we'll never see wide release of a movie that might offend a group of crazies. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 05:45:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Movie was a bad idea from the start and heads are going to roll at Sony I'm sure, and they probably should.   But yes, it is censorship and giving in to hackers.  Guessing there will be more of this type of thing moving forward.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think people threatening us with another 9/11 should be considered an act of terror and dealt accordingly.   This film was not a good idea however.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The whole dang idea was a stupid idea, and it tends to promote the European stereotype of America as ignorant and arrogant.

On the other hand, as stupid as the idea was they do have a right to make the movie here in America.  My libertarian side really dislikes seeing people's autonomy and rights violated by outside forces. Hell, if Michael Moore's BS is allowed, I'm not sure why this isn't. You didn't see us banning "Gangnam Style" in the States when it was basically a huge indictment on American/Western culture. The rest of the world is just jelly of us, and they need to stop wearing their feelings on their shoulders. 'Merica!  ;D

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I understand why the theaters gave in, but this makes sad.  It's a terrible precedent.

I guess we'll never see wide release of a movie that might offend a group of crazies.

I agree.  But I think a lot of it was less about seeing the threat as credible and more being concerned that their patrons might see the threat as credible and devastate their profits in a key time of year for theaters.  Aurora is still fresh in a lot of people's minds.