Author Topic: Sony cancels release of "The Interview"  (Read 8409 times)

Re: Sony cancels release of "The Interview"
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Frankly, I'm glad it was canceled.  The ads offended me enough.  I'm sorry, but you just don't joke about killing an actual head of state.  It's not funny.  You want to make up a characer who's the leader of North Korea but is not named Kim Jong Un, go ahead.  But you don't get to joke about killing actual people without their permission.  I can't beleive Sony let it through.  Just make up a name -- 90% of America would think it's the real person anyway.

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 06:45:04 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm definitely glad they canceled it.  It would be like another country making a movie on assassinating the United States president.  it wouldn't sit well with us either (we'd probably make the biggest fuss about it).  It's an utter disrespect regardless of who Kim is.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 07:02:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm definitely glad they canceled it.  It would be like another country making a movie on assassinating the United States president.  it wouldn't sit well with us either (we'd probably make the biggest fuss about it).  It's an utter disrespect regardless of who Kim is.

British filmmakers did just that, and while there was a fuss, it wasn't that big of one.  Not a major release like this film, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_President_%282006_film%29

Re: 5 Movie Chains drop, "The Interview" after threats from sony hackers
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
That's really disappointing.  I don't really have any interest in this movie, but I don't like the idea of capitulating to empty threats like this.  It's like how South Park had their episode pulled because of threats from "Revolution Muslim" - aka a couple of kids in New York with a blog.  All this will do is invite more death threats to other movies on any sensitive topics and you know what?  It might not even do that.  Either way it's just pointless ugh I hate censorship

I don't have a problem with a company capitulating to threats -- it's not like this is the federal government capitulating to terrorists.    And it's also not like this is a story that just has to be told. 

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Frankly, I'm glad it was canceled.  The ads offended me enough.  I'm sorry, but you just don't joke about killing an actual head of state.  It's not funny.  You want to make up a characer who's the leader of North Korea but is not named Kim Jong Un, go ahead.  But you don't get to joke about killing actual people without their permission.  I can't beleive Sony let it through.  Just make up a name -- 90% of America would think it's the real person anyway.
And not just a head of state, he's also a god.  Did you know that his dad, dead but still ruling, once shot a round of golf with 11 hole-in-ones?  Miraculous.

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

One of the big problems I have with our culture recently. Being offended doesn't make censorship okay. Luckily this was due to threats and not being "offended". Everyone is offended by everything these days, just a bunch of professional victims running around being upset about something until something new pops up to be mad about.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 07:38:35 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
For some reason, I subtract the most points from this movie for not having a more creative assassination attempt.  It keeps making me think of 24 and how they tried to kill Palmer like that.  You can't top 24, that's just a losing battle.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Frankly, I'm glad it was canceled.  The ads offended me enough.  I'm sorry, but you just don't joke about killing an actual head of state.  It's not funny.  You want to make up a characer who's the leader of North Korea but is not named Kim Jong Un, go ahead.  But you don't get to joke about killing actual people without their permission.

Kim Jong Un is probably one of the most evil human beings walking the Earth today and the only thing that keeps him from being the most evil person in the history of his country are his immediate predecessors.

If the South Park guys could kill his dad, what's the difference this time?

Mike

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 07:43:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

One of the big problems I have with our culture recently. Being offended doesn't make censorship okay. Luckily this was due to threats and not being "offended". Everyone is offended by everything these days, just a bunch of professional victims running around being upset about something until something new pops up to be mad about.

Exactly! TP!

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 07:52:15 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Yeah, our culture confuses me more and more.  I mean, if Sterling had made a movie offending black people how would we have acted?  Would people be complaining about censorship?  We shut him up real quick and forced him to sell his property, and he was simply offending people in the privacy of his home, not broadcasting it for everyone to see.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Yeah, our culture confuses me more and more.  I mean, if Sterling had made a movie offending black people how would we have acted?  Would people be complaining about censorship?  We shut him up real quick and forced him to sell his property, and he was simply offending people in the privacy of his home, not broadcasting it for everyone to see.

A very touchy subject, one I'm glad I didn't have to decide the outcome on. There is no debate what he said was racist but there is the doubt that the league had the right to force him to sell.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
So two funny stoner guys do this movie and it's a not release.  So when they did this is the end (?)  a SILLY hilarious movie about the end of days final reckoning, Catholic Church.  I don't remember protests much less canceling the film.  I mean this film had some pretty disturbing (funny) imagery going on which I won't get into as it was pretty crude.
Really
Really

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Frankly, I'm glad it was canceled.  The ads offended me enough.  I'm sorry, but you just don't joke about killing an actual head of state.  It's not funny.  You want to make up a characer who's the leader of North Korea but is not named Kim Jong Un, go ahead.  But you don't get to joke about killing actual people without their permission.

Kim Jong Un is probably one of the most evil human beings walking the Earth today and the only thing that keeps him from being the most evil person in the history of his country are his immediate predecessors.

If the South Park guys could kill his dad, what's the difference this time?

Mike

Inglorious Basterds was all about killing a head of state, and that movie was a huge hit.

Did that movie offend?  Or is this that different because it's a comedy? The North Korean regime is still in power?  Or Kim Jong-Un is still alive? 

It seems pretty acceptable to hate on Nazis, not sure why North Korea gets a pass

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 08:50:35 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
not showing this movie sets a bad precedent imo.

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Any chance this is just a plot to bring more attention to a rally bad movie?  They're trying tons of free publicity from this and created a forbidden fruit
Yup