Author Topic: Has this happened to a rookie class before?  (Read 5643 times)

Has this happened to a rookie class before?
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Of the first 7 picks

Embiid out for the majority of the season
Randle Out for the season
Parker out for the Season
Gordon out indefinitely with foot injury

That leaves Exum, Smart and Wiggins as the only healthy guys! Seems unprecedented for this many guys this young to be this seriously injured a month into the season.

Re: Has this happened to a rookie class before?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
not to mention Doug Mcdermott is out for a few weeks and our own J Young is currently hurt.

just a crazy year
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm under the impression that the Len Bias draft was cursed badly. I have looked at some other draft classes that definitely had some issues, but nothing quite like this.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
not to mention Doug Mcdermott is out for a few weeks and our own J Young is currently hurt.

just a crazy year
Plus Smart and Vonleh have been hurt a lot and Saric isn't here yet. And Mitch McGary has been hurt

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:59:08 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, Dion Waiters, MKG, Thomas Robinson, Harrison Barnes.

It seems like in general players bodies cannot keep up with the demands of being so strong and explosive.  I can remember an injury (not a season ender) for almost any player I can think of.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, Dion Waiters, MKG, Thomas Robinson, Harrison Barnes.

It seems like in general players bodies cannot keep up with the demands of being so strong and explosive.  I can remember an injury (not a season ender) for almost any player I can think of.

Completely agree. I think the expectations of young athletes, not only basketball players, are so high that the stress that gets put on their body just causes injuries. Looking at the muscle that these guys put on, for ligaments and tendons to hold that together is an awful lot of strain and causes those parts to tear and break down and be replaced with material that is even stronger than what our body's have.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Of the first 7 picks

Embiid out for the majority of the season
Randle Out for the season
Parker out for the Season
Gordon out indefinitely with foot injury

That leaves Exum, Smart and Wiggins as the only healthy guys! Seems unprecedented for this many guys this young to be this seriously injured a month into the season.
smart has missed 14 of the celtics first 24 games. smart may be considered healthy only within the context of this group.

out of the first 8 draft picks, are exum and wiggins the only one not to miss games due to injury?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:28:45 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I actually started to notice this too. When was the last time, 6-7 players out of the top 10 picks are this injured

Out of the top 3 treasured picks this year, 2 of them are out for the season. 

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I actually started to notice this too. When was the last time, 6-7 players out of the top 10 picks are this injured

It's looking like Wiggins really was the top pick - not only for his play, but also his being the last man standing. Honestly, though (and I really hate to say this), for as fast and explosive as Wiggins is, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get injured, too. Hopefully the coaching staff sees what is happening around the league and that Wiggins plays within himself - no reason to rush things.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Except for LeBroid Lebron, who as of December of last year had missed only 25 games in 11 seasons, 10 of the 25 due to ankle injuries.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/19371/looking-back-at-lebrons-injury-history

Must be due entirely to the genes and his work ethic and his diligence in treatment, huh?

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

It's looking like Wiggins really was the top pick - not only for his play, but also his being the last man standing. Honestly, though (and I really hate to say this), for as fast and explosive as Wiggins is, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get injured, too. Hopefully the coaching staff sees what is happening around the league and that Wiggins plays within himself - no reason to rush things.

Same - I fear for his knees. If Wiggins is injured too, who becomes a favorite for ROY? Exum?

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 03:05:57 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Same - I fear for his knees. If Wiggins is injured too, who becomes a favorite for ROY? Exum?
Maybe Elfrid Payton or KJ McDaniels?  Even Smart would have a chance.

I think if you ran the draft again right now, it would go almost exactly the same, which is very uncommon.  I still like Smart better than Gordon.  McDaniels is a keeper.  Kyle Anderson will stick in the league after a lot of first rounders have busted.  But the GM's mostly got it right.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 03:07:49 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Except for LeBroid Lebron, who as of December of last year had missed only 25 games in 11 seasons, 10 of the 25 due to ankle injuries.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/19371/looking-back-at-lebrons-injury-history

Must be due entirely to the genes and his work ethic and his diligence in treatment, huh?
Steroids increase the risk of tendon and ligament injury. 

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 03:09:45 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

TP for the green font.   :D

Realgm style
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i have been posting about attrition of high flyers and jokingly alluded to slower players that can't jump,most of all the pressure put on these kids to produce so young. Even rondo and kobe are blinded by that drive that made them super stars-right now i think rondo is pacing himself ,he may be the smartest of bunch.he is playing in a controlled manner and distributing and not going to airborne to hoop-even on break away he laid it up soft -one big change in game is defensive intensity then there is strength along with vertical.I used to think they needed a wider ,longer court to help speed negate the heigh bulk advantage-