Author Topic: TNR Wojnarowski Profile  (Read 4360 times)

TNR Wojnarowski Profile
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Woj got woj bombed, taking a similar approach to him that he so often dishes out.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120572/adrian-wojnarowski-how-basketballs-reporting-machine-gets-his-scoops

Edit:

The paragraph that reeled me to definitely read the entire thing.
Wojnarowski has needed more than just a strong work ethic, though, to develop the best sources in basketball. If you look closely at his columns and talk to people in the NBA, you discover that he mixes his reporting and opinion writing in improper ways, rewarding sources with flattery and punishing the uncooperative with nastiness. In fact, it often appears as though Adrian Wojnarowski lets his sourcing dictate not just the topic but also the tone of his writing. In private, NBA reporters complain endlessly about Wojnarowski’s methods. Some of it is undoubtedly professional jealousy, but his body of work shows they also have a point.

The fact that Ric Bucher went on the record commenting on him cracks me up, given how much Bucher kotowed to Kobe's camp to get scoops. Though he was only quoted with regards to Woj's rivalry with ESPN.

For Celtics fans the important thing to note is that typically Ainge isn't one of Woj's sources/guys, so its typically the other end of the call that's leaking to him.

Re: TNR Wojnarowski Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 08:52:26 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I love his scoops,but his opinion pieces leave much to be desired. All the ones that I read was so vitriolic that I almost felt uncomfortable for the person he was lambasting. I remember when he had a special kind of hate for Lebron..lol.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:18:12 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He's got a very specific vision of the players/organizations he likes and the ones he doesn't. Not all that dissimilar to a lot of the CB posters, actually.

Of course, he's not just posting to a group of Celtics fans, no matter how rich and varied we are.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Woj is better than ESPN, they are a joke.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I love his scoops,but his opinion pieces leave much to be desired. All the ones that I read was so vitriolic that I almost felt uncomfortable for the person he was lambasting. I remember when he had a special kind of hate for Lebron..lol.

Woj hating on Lebron was fun to read.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:36:31 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Does that mean that you think Woj is better than Simmons, Lowe, et al?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

His news breaking is definitely much better.

In terms of his opinion pieces, I think Simmons and Woj are on about the same level.  I like Zach Lowe's insight much better than either, although even Zach plays favorites.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

In terms of his opinion pieces, I think Simmons and Woj are on about the same level.  I like Zach Lowe's insight much better than either, although even Zach plays favorites.

I think everyone that writes an opinion piece can come off as showing favorites sometimes. It just seems that when Woj writes his you leave with a feeling of "dang what did he personally do to you and I hope he never does it again" vibe.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

The reason I ask is because Grantland is an ESPN operation, or at least a vanity project curated by ESPN. The same way bands used to have their own labels on majors back when the record industry was still a thing.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah I do think that this piece highlights just how much "favorites" secure access for various reporters. I do think Woj is probably the most aggressive of those three in using his op-eds to fluff his guys and bash others. Maybe the most aggressive of major NBA reporters, Rich Bucher being the other guy I think of when it comes to that sort of thing.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Yeah I do think that this piece highlights just how much "favorites" secure access for various reporters. I do think Woj is probably the most aggressive of those three in using his op-eds to fluff his guys and bash others. Maybe the most aggressive of major NBA reporters, Rich Bucher being the other guy I think of when it comes to that sort of thing.

I love it when Bill Simmons pushes Zach Lowe to say something bad about somebody.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
For what it's worth I think Woj is a little too Grantland Rice-y for me. Simmons clearly doesn't make writing his priority anymore, and Lowe is all right.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 11:11:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Anybody have a guess as to how he knows the players picked before the picks area announced?

Doesnt seem like it bothers the NBA too much.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Anybody have a guess as to how he knows the players picked before the picks area announced?

Agents are told beforehand what's going on with their clients typically. There is a pretty small pool of NBA agents who represent a ton of players and most incoming draft picks. Those power agents usually know what's going on with the draft, especially with some teams leaking everything all over the place.

Ainge and a few other GMs don't really give agents a ton of info, hence why some teams "surprise" more in the draft.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Agents are told beforehand what's going on with their clients typically.

The agents are typically informed at the same time as the NBA by the team doing the drafting, in fact.