Author Topic: Four team trade - Boston, Brooklyn, Detroit, New York (feasible?)  (Read 1848 times)

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Right now there are two guys on the trading block who I think would fit Boston very well - Deron Williams and Greg Monroe.  Coming up with a trade that actually works took a lot of messing around, but I've managed to come up with this 4-team trade...

Boston Receives
- Deron Williams
- Greg Monroe

Post trade starters:
Deron Williams, Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, Kelly Olynyk, Greg Monroe

Why they do it:
Boston no longer has three hall of fame scorers, so they need every guy on the floor to be a scoring threat.  Deron can stretch the floor with his shooting, is a decent defender, has good size at the PG spot, and is a skilled playmaker.   

With four guys stretching the floor, Boston needs guys who can score inside to give those shooters space.  Greg Monroe is one of the best low post scorers in the league, and it'll be very hard for defences to collapse on him with Deron, Avery, Jeff and Kelly on the perimeter.  Likewise if they stay at home on the shooters, Monroe and Green can get to the basket and wreak havoc.   

Detroit Receives
- Andrea Bargnani (expiring)
- Iman Shumpert (expiring)
- Vitor Faverani
- James Young
- Jared Sullinger

Post trade lineup:
Jennings, Shumpert, Butler, Sullinger, Drummond

Why they do it:
Jared Sullinger is the perfect complement for Andre Drummond - a tough offensive minded big who dominates with muscle rather than athleticism, and who can stretch the floor with outside shooting.

Shumpert gives Detroit a much needed upgrade at SG.

Bargnani gives them a $11m expiring contract, plus another guy who can score (which they desperately need).

Brooklyn Recieves
- Rajon Rondo (expiring)
- Brandon Bass (expiring)
- 2015 1st Round Pick (from LAC)

Post trade lineup:
Rondo, Bogdanovic, Johnson, Garnett,  Lopez

Why they do it:
Brooklyn are looking like they want to blow things up, with Deron, JJ and Lopez all getting put on the trading block lately.  If they want to rebuild, there is no better way than with $20M of expiring contracts.

Rondo gives Brooklyn flexibility - they can let him walk away and allow $13M come off their books if the season goes bad... or if the season goes well they can try to keep him and build around the core of combo of Rondo, JJ and Brook Lopez.  Bass gives similar flexibility because he's a useful contributor on a playoff team, or he's an expiring contract.

The pick is an added bonus.

New York Receives
- Josh Smith

Post trade lineup:
Calderon, JR Smith, Anthony, J Smith, Stoudemire

Why they do it:
New York don't seem interested in rebuilding - it seems they want to keep trying to compete with Carmello.  If they want him to be happy, they need to give him some sign that they are working to bring in talent.  Josh Smith might be a solid fit on a team that is in desperate need of defence and athleticism...and they've been trying to get rid of Shumpert and Bargnani for years now.

Thoughts?  Is this 'dreaming' or is there a chance it happens? 

Re: Four team trade - Boston, Brooklyn, Detroit, New York (feasible?)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:40:11 AM »

Offline Mikedmx6

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
No, only way I get rid of rondo is if we are getting a Russell Westbrook type player which won't happen.  I honestly believe ainge 's plan is to go all out if Durant actually makes it to free agency in 2016 I believe.  I think celtics fans are going to be in for a lot of heart ache for awhile. Just because there's no real moves out there that will put us over the top and also we can't lie to ourselves if we want to trade rondo, green, sully, any one of our top players we are NOT going to get the package we want for these guys.  No top tier players are coming available,  maybe Melo and he has said he would love to play with rondo and what not but honestly what would anyone of us be ok with the package we would have to put together to even get him.  We are in trouble and for awhile.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 01:50:08 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
No way I'd do this.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:50:54 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No way I'd do this.

Nice,  how about some justification - I.e. Why?

Sorry to hurt the feelings of all Boston fans but right now Deron(even though he's not the guy he once was) is a better player than Rondo...and Monroe is a better player than Sully...and that clippers pick will likely fall between 23-30 which has minimal value.

Why would you not do it?  Rondo's offense is pretty woeful this year,  and is worrying when your star player is getting pulled from end game situations because he can't hit a free throw

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:56:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We get rid of a weak link in Sullinger but I am not crazy about AB as a SG.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't get it.

Trade Rondo for a weaker PG making a lot more money and a young C who will become a FA with no Bird rights.  (plus give away 4 more assets young assets)

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
No way I'd do this.

Nice,  how about some justification - I.e. Why?

Sorry to hurt the feelings of all Boston fans but right now Deron(even though he's not the guy he once was) is a better player than Rondo...and Monroe is a better player than Sully...and that clippers pick will likely fall between 23-30 which has minimal value.

Why would you not do it?  Rondo's offense is pretty woeful this year,  and is worrying when your star player is getting pulled from end game situations because he can't hit a free throw

depends on your team needs in my opinion. Deron is not really a better player than Rondo in my honest opinion. Scorers, absolutely, but I think what some people are expecting is that Rondo is your #1 option. If in that sense, absolutely, Deron is definitely a #1 option on offense compare to Rondo. Rondo at best is a 2nd or 3rd best player on a contending team, and definitely not THE best player. I view Rondo as nothing but an all-star, elite passer, pass-first pg. If he had a jump shot/FT%, he would've been CP3 easily.

Contract, I think as of now, Rondo's contract is more comfortable moving forward than trading it away and load on Deron's massive contract.

I like Avery Bradley, but I still want a quality SG to start over Bradley. Like other threads, I do not think it's Rondo. We need a go-to-scorer at the end of games, day in and day out to either bury the dagger, bury us out of a hole, or whatever. That may or may not be Green, but I was thinking someone else. And last, a defensive minded center. Since Zeller started over KO, this team has improved on the defensive end. I think most of us agree by now that Rondo/AB/Green/Sully/Zeller > Rondo/AB/Green/Sully/KO

offense is flowing and defense is up. That pick and roll offense by Rondo and Zeller is just beautiful to watch. Now, why Zeller is still playing 25 mpg, I have no idea, but if either he plays 30+ mpg. or we can legit find a REAL quality starter center (one that can definitely start for a contender), this team will be very special and definitely moving in the right direction in my opinion.

Overall, I don't think your idea is bad, I actually think it might be feasible, but just personally, I wouldn't pull that trigger.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yikes.

Rondo, Bass, Young, Sully, Fav and a first for Williams and Monroe?

I wouldn't trade Rondo straight up for either of them, let alone throw in all those other pieces. I'm not sure why we would target DWill who has a huge contract and isn't going to be involved in a youth movement.