Author Topic: Interesting Bos/OKC trade proposal  (Read 3449 times)

Interesting Bos/OKC trade proposal
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:05:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
I saw this idea on a different forum, and I think it makes a ton of sense for both teams. Of course, Green and Rondo's contract situation would make this hard to sell right now, but why hasn't this trade been looked at or seriously discussed before? I think it works excellently for both teams.

To OKC: Rondo, Green

To Bos: Westbrook, Perkins

(Some draft compensation would also probably need to be involved.)

For OKC, they get an uprgrade at the 2 and a true PG to feed the ball consistently to three legitimate scoring threats in the starting lineup. A starting 5 of Rondo, Green, Durant, Ibaka, and Adams is scary, and Durant isn't ball-dominant enough to not be an excellent match with Rondo. Green also showed last year that he has the lateral foot speed to play the 2, and he'd create huge mismatches at the offensive end.

For Boston, they'd get their franchise building block that they've been looking for, and a backcourt of Westbrook and Smart would be incredibly interesting.

What do you guys think? Don't worry about the contract situations or anything like that. Purely basketball-wise, is this not a good win-win situation for both teams?

Re: Interesting Bos/OKC trade proposal
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
This trade proposal has been floated on several occasions.  It continues to make absolutely no sense for the Thunder unless you're part of the crew that continues to believe in this silly notion that multi-time All-Star, All-NBA PG Russell Westbrook isn't a PG.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
This trade proposal has been floated on several occasions.  It continues to make absolutely no sense for the Thunder unless you're part of the crew that continues to believe in this silly notion that multi-time All-Star, All-NBA PG Russell Westbrook isn't a PG.

Hmmm, I've seen Rondo for Westbrook swaps before, but not ever involving Green, too.  I think that's because Sefalosha was firmly entrenched as the starting 2 until last year. 

But I don't think it's because people don't think he's a point guard. I think it's more that he's primarily a high-usage scoring guard who happens to play with the best offensive player on the planet. So I don't think it makes absolutely no sense for the Thunder, especially when they've been looking for an upgrade at the 2 for some time now.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 11:18:25 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it's a best case scenario from Boston's side - especially if they think they can't re-sign both players. Upgrading one of our positions to a younger [near] superstar level player by giving up multiple quality players would be fantastic. I imagine at least one of the Brooklyn picks would be involved, but would anybody really have a problem with that?

From OKCs side, they get possibly the top prototypical PG in the league who is a better game manager than Westbrook and they also make up for much of the scoring by re-acquiring Green. By getting a first or two, they continue to build up their young talent.

Would they want Bass, too? Let's go all-in on this one.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:23:18 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
It makes absolutely no sense for the Thunder because they've won about 70% of their games in the past few seasons with Westbrook as their starting point guard.  His usage and scoring has not served as a hindrance to the Thunder whatsoever.  What's held the Thunder back the past two seasons are injuries in the playoffs.

Between Westbrook, Jackson, Lamb, Morrow, and Roberson, the Thunder absolutely do not need to trade one of their two best players (and really, their best player since the 2014 playoffs due to Durant's fatigue and subsequent injury) simply to upgrade at the 2.  They've had a consistent core group of players and with Durant's free agency looming, the last thing they should be doing is trading away one of his closest teammates in a wholly unnecessary shake-up.  Westbrook as their point guard has been working for them. 

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:58:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
It makes absolutely no sense for the Thunder because they've won about 70% of their games in the past few seasons with Westbrook as their starting point guard.  His usage and scoring has not served as a hindrance to the Thunder whatsoever.  What's held the Thunder back the past two seasons are injuries in the playoffs.

Between Westbrook, Jackson, Lamb, Morrow, and Roberson, the Thunder absolutely do not need to trade one of their two best players (and really, their best player since the 2014 playoffs due to Durant's fatigue and subsequent injury) simply to upgrade at the 2.  They've had a consistent core group of players and with Durant's free agency looming, the last thing they should be doing is trading away one of his closest teammates in a wholly unnecessary shake-up.  Westbrook as their point guard has been working for them.

But their goal is to win a championship, not just 70 percent of their games. How many times do they have to get knocked out of the playoffs before "Westbrook has been working for them" doesn't cut it anymore? Durant showed his true greatness when Westbrook was out last year, and I think having a traditional point guard next to him would greatly benefit him. And you want to say trading him would be bad for morale, but isn't keeping the same, just-not-good-enough-to-get-over-the-hump team intact doing the same exact thing? Star power and talent isn't everything if the fit is suspect and has to be forced.

Also, I think the whole injuries in the playoffs thing is being exaggerated. Yes, the year Westbrook went down with the knee injury (I believe it was 2013) they were greatly affected by injury, but last year you can't blame Ibaka's injury as their reason they lost. They lost to a vastly superior Spurs team, and Ibaka came back in time to make a difference if that was the case.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:17:23 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
But their goal is to win a championship, not just 70 percent of their games. How many times do they have to get knocked out of the playoffs before "Westbrook has been working for them" doesn't cut it anymore?

Maybe if they're actually healthy in the playoffs and they get eliminated again?

Durant showed his true greatness when Westbrook was out last year, and I think having a traditional point guard next to him would greatly benefit him.

You realize that Durant showcasing his "true greatness" in Westbrook's absence is exactly why he had such a disappointing playoff performance (by his standards), right?  He burned himself out in the regular season.

And you want to say trading him would be bad for morale, but isn't keeping the same, just-not-good-enough-to-get-over-the-hump team intact doing the same exact thing? Star power and talent isn't everything if the fit is suspect and has to be forced.

The fit is only "suspect and has to be forced" to people who don't regularly watch the Thunder and follow the team.

Also, I think the whole injuries in the playoffs thing is being exaggerated. Yes, the year Westbrook went down with the knee injury (I believe it was 2013) they were greatly affected by injury, but last year you can't blame Ibaka's injury as their reason they lost. They lost to a vastly superior Spurs team, and Ibaka came back in time to make a difference if that was the case.

Uhh, no.  Ibaka was hardly healthy when he came back.  Did you watch the Spurs-OKC series?  It was painfully obvious that as the series progressed, Ibaka grew less effective.

Regardless, how in the world are you going to say Ibaka's injury can't be cited as a major factor in why they lost?  Did you not see how OKC completely reversed the series in Games 3 and 4 when Ibaka returned after missing him in the first two games?  Did you not see the stats of how the Spurs shot terribly during the regular season last year against Ibaka?  That's an absurd assertion.  A healthy Ibaka changes that series up entirely.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 12:50:58 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
But their goal is to win a championship, not just 70 percent of their games. How many times do they have to get knocked out of the playoffs before "Westbrook has been working for them" doesn't cut it anymore?

Maybe if they're actually healthy in the playoffs and they get eliminated again?

Durant showed his true greatness when Westbrook was out last year, and I think having a traditional point guard next to him would greatly benefit him.

You realize that Durant showcasing his "true greatness" in Westbrook's absence is exactly why he had such a disappointing playoff performance (by his standards), right?  He burned himself out in the regular season.

And you want to say trading him would be bad for morale, but isn't keeping the same, just-not-good-enough-to-get-over-the-hump team intact doing the same exact thing? Star power and talent isn't everything if the fit is suspect and has to be forced.

The fit is only "suspect and has to be forced" to people who don't regularly watch the Thunder and follow the team.

Uhh, no.  Ibaka was hardly healthy when he came back.  Did you watch the Spurs-OKC series?  It was painfully obvious that as the series progressed, Ibaka grew less effective.

Regardless, how in the world are you going to say Ibaka's injury can't be cited as a major factor in why they lost?  Did you not see how OKC completely reversed the series in Games 3 and 4 when Ibaka returned after missing him in the first two games?  Did you not see the stats of how the Spurs shot terribly during the regular season last year against Ibaka?  That's an absurd assertion.  A healthy Ibaka changes that series up entirely.

You can't be serious.... Durant has visibly shown many times his displeasure with Westbrook's shot selection and over-aggressiveness. Just because he says all of the right things to the media doesn't mean that he's okay with Westbrook's style of play.  Westbrook routinely plays like the go-to option on a team with the best offensive player in the world. That's not a natural fit, no matter how bad you want it to be.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 12:55:01 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
So more of the usual "KD and Westbrook can't play together" nonsense that the Thunder will continue to wisely ignore as they continue to play together and win.

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:14:44 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
So more of the usual "KD and Westbrook can't play together" nonsense that the Thunder will continue to wisely ignore as they continue to play together and win.

Yeah, they've really met their goals (a championship/not getting embarrassed in the Finals) with both of them..  ::) Not saying it always has to be championship or bust, but when that's your primary goal and you consistently miss it, something has to change.

Of course, you and all other OKC fanboys will just lean on injuries as the scapegoat for their playoff woes.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 01:22:26 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
I mean, it's your prerogative if you want to call it "scapegoating" when it should be apparent to anyone with a pulse who actually bothers to watch and follow the Thunder that injuries are the primary reason why the Thunder have had shortened playoff runs the past two years.

Of course, you and all other Celtics fanboys will continue to blurt out laughably clueless assertions about a team you clearly know nothing about, save for watching a 30-second YouTube clip of Westbrook taking a bad shot while Durant is calling for the ball.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
I would absolutely trade Rondo+Green for Westbrook+

Which is why OKC wouldn't do it.

Here's a different rumor involving OKC:

Rondo for Steve Adams + Reggie Jackson or Jeremy Lamb
http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/37486/20140915/nba-trade-rumors-rajon-rondo-okc.htm

That one is kinda enticing.  Steve Adams would fill a huge need for us at the #5 position.  And getting a Reggie Jackson or Lamb back to the guard rotation would also add nice depth.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 10:02:01 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

You can't be serious.... Durant has visibly shown many times his displeasure with Westbrook's shot selection and over-aggressiveness. Just because he says all of the right things to the media doesn't mean that he's okay with Westbrook's style of play.  Westbrook routinely plays like the go-to option on a team with the best offensive player in the world. That's not a natural fit, no matter how bad you want it to be.

Would Durant be happier when he's double-teamed because nobody needs to cover Rondo? 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Every positive-value player on our team (Rondo, Green, Sullinger, Olynyk, Smart) and all of our draft picks until 2018 would not get us Westbrook.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 10:32:35 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Westbrook >>> Rondo