Author Topic: anybody else think rondo still not 100%  (Read 5089 times)

Re: anybody else think rondo still not 100%
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 10:16:04 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
HOw is he not 100%?  Stick him with efficient scorers and he'll look like the Rondo of old.  Get some hall-of-famers in here stat.

How adorable.

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Two years for an ACL.  Doesn't mean he'll return to form, but be wherever he's going to be after the All-Star break.

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Mentally, I think he is not there, he doesn't drive like he used to do so but I have seen him show bursts of speed.  Even with that, he is still a flawed player even when 100%.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
how many of you posters have had serious basketball injury,ankle ,knee,shoulder or just a jammed wrist.One poster replied he had 30 games last year,that was so sad to watch as he struggled to get back with little lateral and vertical.he shows at times he still has IT but i bwelieve still gun shy and still in recovery process mentally>when he can go full tilt with no hesitation and start scoring at the rim---whats the rush anyway,he's got years left and he knows it-take your time rondo=

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
He's 100%; and that's all you get.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 11:55:49 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
how many of you posters have had serious basketball injury,ankle ,knee,shoulder or just a jammed wrist.One poster replied he had 30 games last year,that was so sad to watch as he struggled to get back with little lateral and vertical.he shows at times he still has IT but i bwelieve still gun shy and still in recovery process mentally>when he can go full tilt with no hesitation and start scoring at the rim---whats the rush anyway,he's got years left and he knows it-take your time rondo=
but even with this, a concern (not a statement that he'll-be-back, or, we-are-doomed-since-rondo-needs-a-wheel-chair-to-play) that is...well, more concerning, is the significant drop in his shooting percentages including free throws.

you may be correct and he may return to his previous flawed shooting standards, but looking at this year it is not ridiculous to discuss the possibility that rondo may now be damaged goods. no final and definitive statement is being issued here. rather, posters are raising the very real possibility that rondo's career may have started on the downside.

THAT is an interesting topic worthy of informed opinions that are open to learning and change. but ultimately, as is usually the case, no one here knows and only time will tell us the story. therefore, this is not about getting something "right" as much as it is to learn more and enjoy the discussion.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
There is clearly still something wrong with him.  His inability to finish at the rim isn't due to not wanting to get fouled or an inability to shoot.  It's because he isn't getting up like he used to.  It's this inability that is hurting his numbers.  and has nothing to do with the players around him.  Now, is the knee just damaged to the point where he never will get back to that?  I don't know.  Will he adjust to it and learn to finish without his usual ups?  hopefully if he's not going to improve health wise. 

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
It is impossible to know the exact cause of this or that but I don't think his knee is causing him to have trouble scoring/shooting based on what I see on the court  (In January it will be 2 years since the injury).  I think he is adjusting to being the main guy on the team where the defense can focus more on him because the supporting cast is not nearly as good as it used to be.

It is like a quarterback with no offensive line.  You can look at stats and say this quarterback is inaccurate or inefficiency but put that same quarterback behind a good line and he will play much better (See Brady Circa Sept 2014).

I think Rondo is what he always was and will continue to be on this team.  Put him on a better team and he will be mentally more engaged and his flaws will be less exposed.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Does anyone have any ideas why his free throw shooting is so bad?  I was willing to give him a break for the first few weeks, but we're 25% of the way through the season and he's still shooting 33%.  That is unbelievably bad and it's affecting his ability to score as he's clearly afraid to get fouled.  He's only shooting 1.7 free throws per game.  I assume it's mental, but has anyone noticed if his mechanics are out of whack? 

33% is just stunning.  I was a better shooter when I was 11.  :)

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I know nothing, but I suspect that he is still rehabbing, or at least still getting into playing shape.  He came back last year and played half the season after recovering from knee injury and surgery.  This year he misses preseason because of his "shower fall."  The team has undergone many changes since last year,and he may still be getting used to the new players and their idiosyncrasies.

(Having said that, I am a Rondo fan and maybe apologist.  If you are a  Rondo hater, you probably have a different view.)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I know nothing, but I suspect that he is still rehabbing, or at least still getting into playing shape.  He came back last year and played half the season after recovering from knee injury and surgery.  This year he misses preseason because of his "shower fall."  The team has undergone many changes since last year,and he may still be getting used to the new players and their idiosyncrasies.

(Having said that, I am a Rondo fan and maybe apologist.  If you are a  Rondo hater, you probably have a different view.)

That's the problem, we just don't know. Some guys are never the same after an ACL tear and Rondo was always a player whose game was partially reliant on speed and athleticism. Then he had the wrist issue and everybody wonders if it is affecting his shooting.

The player out there now is not worth a super max deal in my opinion, even if it may be market rate in 2016. I'd be concerned that Rondo's best days are behind him and you're paying 20 million/year for a guy who could be in decline. It might be best to let some desperate team overpay him.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Anyone else think Rondo just not that good?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 12:48:24 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Have you ever heard of the term "cognitive distortion"? I think it's applicable here/everywhere.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 01:16:11 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

You must be out of your mind to think he isn't that good.Name me one better pg in NBA history that can rebound like he can for his height? You can't. Rondo is a better player when he has better talent around him. We need anther superstar in Boston to show what he can really do.

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 01:18:07 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

You must be out of your mind to think he isn't that good.Name me one better pg in NBA history that can rebound like he can for his height? You can't. Rondo is a better player when he has better talent around him. We need anther superstar in Boston to show what he can really do.
The pass is good, the rebound is good and.....?