Author Topic: Per Woj: Danny is active on the phones.....  (Read 35509 times)

Re: Per Woj: Danny is active on the phones.....
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2014, 05:53:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Giving a passer two points credit for each assist is silly.  Of the 20 or so factors that contribute to a typical NBA bucket, the final pass is often the least important.  Picks set by Andrew Bogut are more important than Steph Curry assists.  A Steph Curry pull-up 3 is probably worth 5 assists.

Even an assist isn't an assist.  Go back and watch highlight reels for Rondo's "assists".  He dishes it to Bass on the baseline.  Bass squares up, jab steps twice and shoots a jumper.  Chalk up an assist.  Other times Rondo seems to magically create something out of nothing and you think, "now there's an assist!".  Steph Curry assists aren't even equal to Rondo assists (Rondo probably generates more from less).  But Steph Curry should get assists just for standing outside the 3pt line while Rondo should be penalized for letting defenses collapse.  Pressey has a better assist to turnover ratio than Rondo.  I could go on.

Assists are a very imprecise measure.  Taken over large samples they show guys who share the ball well, but giving the assist guy 100% credit is some sort of Rondo utopia.

I'll be glad to have this debate on the front page article.  Not here.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Re: Per Woj: Danny is active on the phones.....
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I'm not an expert in these advanced stats... but someone maybe can clear up my confusion.

Explain this "net point impact" thing for me.  If Rondo's per 36 averages are 9 points and 12 assists... doesn't that sort of make him somewhat responsible for 33 points per 36 minutes (assuming each assist results in a 2-pointer).   If Curry 's Per-36 numbers are 25.2 points and 8 assists... doesn't that mean he's responsible for 41 points per 36 minutes (assuming each assist results in a 2-pointer)?  When you consider that Rondo shoots 39%/24%/33% himself and Curry shoots 48%/39%/93%....  and when you consider that Boston shoots 46% while Golden State shoots 48% ... someone please clarify how Rondo "impacts the offense" in a more positive way than Curry? 

I'm not trying to be snarky... I'm genuinely confused.

I don't want to go at length here, further derailing this thread, which is supposed to be on how much time Danny plays Plants vs Zombies II on his iPhone.

Ask your question on the front page article:

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/12/17/7406937/ranking-point-guards-at-the-quarter-pole-an-analytic-approach#comments

And I'll gladly try to explain.
Ah I see... Thanks for the link.  I skimmed it and came away thinking you basically just kept fudging the stats until they favored Rondo.  "Hmm... Curry is clearly more impactful on the offense... let's loop in rebounds so it gives Rondo a boost".  Lol

I like my more basic approach.

Per 36 point impact:

Rondo  -  33 points 39%/24%/33%/46%
Curry - 41 points 48%/39%/93%/48%

TKO

Again - if you actually really want to debate this (Rebounds arbitrarily having zero game value now?) instead of wallowing in your own confirmation bias, post your comments in the linked thread.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.