Author Topic: CHA-IND-BOS - send Lance to Indy, get picks and centers  (Read 1307 times)

CHA-IND-BOS - send Lance to Indy, get picks and centers
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Indiana gets: Lance Stephenson
Charlotte gets: Chris Copeland, Brandon Bass
Boston gets: Bismack Biyombo, Ian Mahinmi, at least a 2015 1st

Indiana needs Lance, and Lance needs Indiana.  Charlotte needs stretch 4's.  We don't need Bass.  We could use run protectors, albeit we're not getting stars back.

This deal gets Lance to Indy, while keeping Indy under the luxury tax, and sending only expirings to Charlotte.  We take on future salary in Mahinmi, for which we should be compensated.  We're also sending out a good player on an expiring at a position of need for Charlotte.  We'd have to waive someone - probably Faverani.  We help Lance get out of Charlotte.  I'm not sure how many picks all of that's worth, but I'd say the better of Indy and Charlotte's 2015 1st, top 5 protected, and a future second rounder.  Thoughts?

Re: CHA-IND-BOS - send Lance to Indy, get picks and centers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
How do we get a prospect center, a role playing back up center, and a first round pick just for sending out Bass?

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
How do we get a prospect center, a role playing back up center, and a first round pick just for sending out Bass?

This, particularly since Mahinmi's contract isn't even onerous for the Pacers and they actually like him as a backup center.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Magic?

It depends of course how serious Indiana is about getting Lance, and how much Charlotte is actually willing to send out a first to get rid of Lance.  It also presumes that Indy desires to stay under the luxury tax, and that Charlotte would prefer expirings coming back.  It is known that Charlotte would like to trade Lance and acquire power forwards who space the floor and play better defense than Marvin Williams, something Bass does both of.  If Indiana actually wants Lance back, they have to send out at least $7 mil in salary, and they're low on options that gets this done.  About the only thing that works is sending Copeland and Scola, but those two play the same position, and thus Indy creates a new hole.  They may like Mahinmi well enough as a back-up center, but $4 million isn't cheap for a backup on a team that is at the top of its budget.  Furthermore, taking on future salary in this league is just worth a pick, even if the player is reasonably paid.  See Courtney Lee for a second last year.

Maybe it's a little unrealistic, but I don't think by much.  If Indiana wants Lance, they're going to need to find a trade partner who has expirings for Charlotte - and not only do we have expirings, we have players Charlotte could actually use.  I don't know - perhaps you drop Biyombo out of the deal if he's more valuable than I personakly think he is.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:16:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's not a bad deal.  I can see where there's concerns that C's just give up Bass for 2 mediocre centers and a pick.

If viewed strictly on a team-by-team basis with what they get and what they give up, Indy does fine and Charlotte does ok as well.  Boston does come out ahead.  would be tough to argue that even though we're helping to facilitate this deal that we should also get a 1st.  Have to admit I still don't understand the fascination for Biyombo other than he's tall.

If possible to make it more enticing to get someone's pick, I'd see if I could include Fav as another expiring deal for Charlotte where he could become a back up C to replace Biyombo possibly.   maybe expand it further to send out another player like AB to either Charlotte (and send Fav to Indy instead) to give them a SG to replace Lance if that's what it would take to ensure we get a partially-protected first from preferably both teams if not one of them.