Author Topic: How Bad Does Sullinger Have to Play Before People Want to Bench Him?  (Read 11352 times)

Re: How Bad Does Sullinger Have to Play Before People Want to Bench Him?
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2014, 12:21:12 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Sully will break out of his offensive slump but not his year long defensive slump.

Kind of reminds me of the Big Al debates. Great offensive player but was a huge liability on defense. The bad part for Sully is his offensive value is not even close to Big Al's yet. Obviously Sully's game is much different but both of these players are terrible defenders that cancel out their offensive worth.

Right, because Al PLAYS WITH HIS BACK TO THE BASKET, lol ;D.  Ugh.  His superior size also helps, but I want to see Sully inside, and not using fadeaways, but shooting hook shots that we've seen him make in the past.  Oh yeah, and LOUD NOISES, haha ;) ;D.

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2014, 12:31:35 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Sully will break out of his offensive slump but not his year long defensive slump.

Kind of reminds me of the Big Al debates. Great offensive player but was a huge liability on defense. The bad part for Sully is his offensive value is not even close to Big Al's yet. Obviously Sully's game is much different but both of these players are terrible defenders that cancel out their offensive worth.

Right, because Al PLAYS WITH HIS BACK TO THE BASKET, lol ;D.  Ugh.  His superior size also helps, but I want to see Sully inside, and not using fadeaways, but shooting hook shots that we've seen him make in the past.  Oh yeah, and LOUD NOISES, haha ;) ;D.

Big Al is a center, Sully is not. When Olynyk or Bass are out there with Sully, there is enough space to operate down low for Sullinger. But when playing with Zeller, a center who has found great success sticking down low, it is more beneficial for the team offense if Sully can knock down long range shots at an accurate clip (so far he has: 44% from 16 ft to the three-point line, 36% from three). This is especially true when Rondo is out there with Zeller (great from midrange but not deserving of intense defensive pressure out at the three-point line). Besides, Sully still takes over half of his total FGAs within ten feet of the rim.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
IMO Sully isn't a volume post player (honestly I would say Al Jefferson and Cousins are the only guys in the league who can post up anyone) but I get mad when teams put guards on him and we don't capitalize. Every time a guard is on Sully, he has to try to take them down in the low post.

And Sully takes most of his shots from 10 feet an in because of putbacks, and attacking closeouts (because he has a ridiculously slow release on his shot).  I'd like to see the number of times he actually gets the ball in the low post per game - I would be shocked if it was even 2.

EDIT: According to nba player tracking (http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/possessions/?sort=CL_TCH&dir=1&CF=GP*G*5), Sullinger gets 3.7 close touches per game. He gets 2.6 offensive rebounds per game, so he is passed the ball close to the basket 1.1 times per game. That seems insanely low to me.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:07:07 AM by littleteapot »
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2014, 10:53:17 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Big Al was also a much better player during his third season. Perhaps not by much statistically.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hard to past in the post when all he does is hang out around the three point line.   The guy is a talented offensive rebounder with solid hands.  Either Stevens have schemed him out there, or he likes playing out there.   Judging from his reaction and all the threes, he hoists I think the latter.

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Big Al was also a much better player during his third season. Perhaps not by much statistically.

I would agree with this.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2014, 09:54:09 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
[
Does it really matter?  What do you want him to do, sulk and cry??

Nope, caring would be enough for me.

Wow...the guy laughs during a game and that means he doesn't care?!?!?  Overreact much?
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.