Author Topic: Lance and a first rounder for Jeff Green???  (Read 8121 times)

Lance and a first rounder for Jeff Green???
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:18:30 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I sort of like this idea!!  I think Lance can be a point forward for us, rather than need to be a SG!!  He is a solid rebounder and passer!!  Now if ONLY he and Evan Turner don't kill each other in practice:-))

I am sure that Charlotte would want to protect the pick top 8 or top 12 however.

Thoughts??

Smitty77

Re: Lance and a first rounder for Jeff Green???
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He had attitude problems in Indiana and now Charlotte is desperate to trade him a month and a half into the season.  He seems like a cancer that could be a horrible influence on a young team, so I don't want anything to do with him.  You might be willing to tolerate that from a guy like Cousins, but not Stephens.  The guy is only averaging 10 points a game this season on 39% shooting in 33 minutes a game for an underperforming team.  No thanks.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:50:06 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
No thanks. Dude is cancerous in the locker room and overrated as a player.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:53:53 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I'd give almost anything for a potential lottery pick, so yes. No protections (or top-5 protection at a push) though.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:10:35 AM »

Offline Mikedmx6

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
This thread has to be a joke right? Like jeff has been one of the brightest spots on this team and you want to trade him for Stephenson, have you seen Lance play this year? Another over the top contract this season dished out like bradleys.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:29:03 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I'd do this in a second

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 06:35:19 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
You have to do it if there are no protections on the pick. I don't think Charlotte is reckless enough to do that though. It also depends on whether you've already decided that you're willing to sign Green for say, 12-14 million this offseason.

Lance would be really bad for the locker room but his contract only runs two years (third is an option, not sure if there's a buyout). It would be worth it for the pick and based on Stephenson's potential.

Also if you're not willing to sign Green (which probably means no Rondo either) then you're going to have cap space to play with. Trading for Stephenson would eat into a big chunk of that. Ainge needs to figure out what his plans are for that space and if we have any chance at some of the better young players, especially considering the 16 class doesn't look so hot (as of now). If he doesn't think we have a shot, having cap space is  meaningless and you might as well add someone signed thru 16. I guess it boils down to, are we going ahead with Rondo or are we going full rebuild? This is the critical question that Ainge has been able to delay answering.

As well as Green is playing right now, let's remember that it's a contract year and prior to this season everybody would have been thrilled to get a first rounder and Stephenson for Green. Do their divergent performances this year totally erase last year's results? I don't think it should.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 07:19:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This thread has to be a joke right? Like jeff has been one of the brightest spots on this team and you want to trade him for Stephenson, have you seen Lance play this year? Another over the top contract this season dished out like bradleys.

You're dismissing Lance Stephenson after a poor first 20 games and acting like Jeff Green is some kind of All Star talent.
Jeff is an expiring deal, and someone who'll be significantly overpaid for his mediocre services.
I would take the last 2 seasons and the first 20 games of this season of Lance over Jeff Green's 4 seasons in Boston in a heartbeat. He is screaming for discipline and guidance on the court- just like his buddy Evan Turner. Stevens' specialty is getting players their most high percentage shots and working with their strengths.
 Lance's deal at 3 years/ $27 million is not even close to a horror contract- If he goes to the right system and right coach, that contract is going to be BARGAIN.

Why does Indiana want him back? They know how to tame the beast and it starts with the professionalism of the organization. This is the Bobcats we are talking about here.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 08:35:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Sold = as I said in another thread, I feel much better about paying Lance Stephenson $9 million a year to be the Celtics 3rd/4th best player than I do about paying Jeff Green $15 million a year to fill a similar role.

That draft pick could be low lottery. Heck, I'd trade J.Green for the pick. Forget Stephenson. That is about what Green is worth in a trade (in exchange for draft pick alone). Getting Stephenson on top of that = a steal.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 09:11:14 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Can we trade Evan Turner for Lance Stephenson instead? They're mostly similar players, though, and my only concern would be a continued lack of outside shooting from the guard rotation.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
For the last 3 years nearly everyone on this board has been displeased with Jeff Green's play. "He can never be a go to scorer!" "He can't be the one guy!" Now he's doing everything you all have asked and it's all trade Jeff Green! I don't get it.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
before this season, I'd have been all over this deal.  now, not sure Stephenson is all that great.  he's better than AB and I'd like that pick but I question the rationale behind moving our SF (where we are truly thin on talent) for yet another SG that isn't a great shooter and a headcase to boot apparently.

If we could do a swap of AB for Lance, I'd prefer that.  add a Philly second if needed to get it done.  my perspective on this is that we'd be helping Charlotte to rid themselves of a player that's a bad fit and a headache for someone who's a very good defender and can shoot moderately well.  also not a personality issue in the lockerroom.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
before this season, I'd have been all over this deal.  now, not sure Stephenson is all that great.  he's better than AB and I'd like that pick but I question the rationale behind moving our SF (where we are truly thin on talent) for yet another SG that isn't a great shooter and a headcase to boot apparently.

If we could do a swap of AB for Lance, I'd prefer that.  add a Philly second if needed to get it done.  my perspective on this is that we'd be helping Charlotte to rid themselves of a player that's a bad fit and a headache for someone who's a very good defender and can shoot moderately well.  also not a personality issue in the lockerroom.

I go with this as well. Trading Green for Stephenson is a step backwards in my eyes...You can never have enough firsts but we have plenty and I don't think its necessary. If we can get Stephenson for Bradley and a second that would be a much better deal for us.

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not the guy the young team needs.  He would have been a great add when the Celtics had KG and Pierce.  Vet leadership that has done it all.

But the current Celtics is not that.  They have a 2nd year coach and a bunch of young growing players. 

Of course if their is a 1st coming back to the Celtics, make the trade and sell him cheap to another team. 

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
For start, that leaves us with no SF. 6'5 Lance and 6'6 ET are no SF.

Then, we will have zillion SGs - AB, MT, ET, Lance, Young and some Smart minutes.

Third, we have a very similar, much cheaper and arguably more talented Smart doing the same things Lance does minus the headcase cancer thing.

4th, Lance struggles sharing the ball with Kemba Walker. Imagine sharing with Rondo.

5th, I do not want a headcase loony in the same locker room with Smart, Young, Kelly and Sully
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."