Author Topic: What should Danny offer Rondo this off-season?  (Read 14841 times)

Re: What should Danny offer Rondo this off-season?
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2014, 09:55:30 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
To name two recent examples, Steve Nash and Derek Fisher both bailed on playing with teams because they'd have to uproot their families to do so. I don't think you can paint all athletes with a broad brush like that.

Not sure of Steve Nash's situation but I believe Fisher was because his daughter was sick? 

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not all athletes have families though.

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Recently asked if he would like to make star money, Rondo said, "I already make star money."....
just saying,maybe he is happy in Boston and happy with his income.
Are you satisfied with your income? Then you must not want a raise.

Well said.
Or he is a millionaire, has everything he will ever need,and wants to stay in Boston. Rather than move his family across the country.

This makes me laugh!  That's what everyone said about Jon Lester, what did he end up doing, he took the offer with the most cash and moved his family across country!  Rondo is going to chase the dollars, whether it's in Boston, NY or LA.  He is no different than all the other players in the sport.  Moving his family from one place to another is not a big deal IMO...

Except Boston had already traded him away.  He was out of Boston at that point. 

I think Rondo wants to be in a place where the team is ready now or has a clear idea for the near future.  Boston has the clear idea.  NY and LA do not.

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
To name two recent examples, Steve Nash and Derek Fisher both bailed on playing with teams because they'd have to uproot their families to do so. I don't think you can paint all athletes with a broad brush like that.

Not sure of Steve Nash's situation but I believe Fisher was because his daughter was sick?

Nash didn't want to move to Toronto since his kids are based in Phoenix:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8143205/nba-how-steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-happened

Fischer didn't want to take his family into Utah because of his daughter's health problems:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2924068
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Sure, but Rondo does -- and a kid, as well.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Sure, but Rondo does -- and a kid, as well.

Yeah but not all athlete's families have verifiable and well documented ties to the community and the team dating back to his rookie year.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Some athletes arrive from space, and their families are stuck paying for the Interstellar Comcast Sports Package.

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Recently asked if he would like to make star money, Rondo said, "I already make star money."....

Well said.
Or he is a millionaire, has everything he will ever need,and wants to stay in Boston. Rather than move his family across the country.

This makes me laugh!  That's what everyone said about Jon Lester, what did he end up doing, he took the offer with the most cash and moved his family across country!  Rondo is going to chase the dollars, whether it's in Boston, NY or LA.  He is no different than all the other players in the sport.  Moving his family from one place to another is not a big deal IMO...

Except Boston had already traded him away.  He was out of Boston at that point. 

I think Rondo wants to be in a place where the team is ready now or has a clear idea for the near future.  Boston has the clear idea.  NY and LA do not.

For us, would you stay at a company that is paying you 10-20k less than someone else? If so why?

For Rondo I would say these are his considerations

1. NBA Salary
2. Endorsements
3. Championships ( I think this is one very important factor, if Rondo were to leave, he will leave for a contender that offers him the most money and to compete for a chip and not just leave for a team that offers him the most money. Al Jefferson chose money over a chance at a ring imo)

Saying it's not for the money are just pretty words, but none of the athletes ever mean it. Like KG when he was in Minny when he signed that massive deal or Melo this offseason. "It's not the money"

of course it's about the money

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Travel time has always been important for me and the jobs I have had.   Can you put a price on spending time with your family?

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
A trade or free agency.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Well said.

but the sox only offered about $120,000,000. lester has a family to feed!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
2 comments on previous conversation:

1 - Of course there are intangible qualities to the community, organization etc. you are with. Many people take less money to stay in the same place. However, I really don't think a few vague comments Rondo has made about liking it in Boston qualify as a guarantee that he will stay in Boston at a below-market deal, and the idea that money would be a non-factor is completely insane.

2 - This is why I would try to move him. We can debate forever about the things going on in Rondo's head, but no one actually knows and I don't think it's a smart way to plan the future of your organization. To me there are two reasons you don't trade Rondo: He has either previously negotiated a deal with the team but has to wait to free agency because of the stupid CBA, or you're not getting a legitimate nba prospect in return for him.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »

Offline curtjester1

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Don't offer him a thing.  Wait til a trade comes about.  I don't want to offer him $13 million much less more.  He doesn't have the big 3 to pass to, and he doesn't have an individual game to warrant the money, unless you like his rebounding or inflated assist stats.

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
but the sox only offered about $120,000,000. lester has a family to feed!
Lester also talked about how "the Red Sox traded us", which gave me an eye roll.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2014, 08:04:20 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Sign and Trade for  Greg Monroe. Hadn the team to Marcus Smart (cue the flood of tps from Rondo haters)
I have an idea...make a different rookie Captain of the team each year.  trade your best player for picks for the foreseeable future. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!