Author Topic: Great game for KO  (Read 8570 times)

Re: Great game for KO
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
People should stop feeling the need to compare Giannis and Kelly.

It's probably true that odds are Giannis will have a better career at this point, but by all indications Kelly is still a good player and a fine pickup at #13.

Just because Giannis was available at the time doesn't make Kelly a bad pickup. Giannis was a high-risk, high-return play which has just begun to look like it might be pay off eventually.

Kelly was a medium-risk, medium-return play that looks like it might be paying off as well. It's just that the payoff is a bit smaller, but that's because it was lower risk to begin with.

They are both fine picks.

I think people have it flat-out backwards.  Antetokounmpo looks more like the low risk guy to me.  I think he's most likely to get a little better and then stay at that level.  Of course he could turn into LeBron, but the actual chances of that are horrible.  Most likely he's not capable of reaching anything higher than a fringe all star.

KO on the other hand is probably less likely to ever see an all star game, but if he ever did realize his potential he could be better than that, Dirk-level.  That's why I'm thinking KO might be the higher risk/reward guy.

Of course, the chances of either player becoming a fringe all-star are way out there.  I'm not saying Antetokounmpo is close.

I expect both KO and GA will play in multiple AS games. But I think the OP was referring to how the risks looked at the time of the draft--since that's what is relevant. KO had a much greater body of work against NBA-headed competition at that point.

True, though I see people on Celticsblog comparing them as of right now all the time, so I guess I was mostly talking to them.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 09:01:44 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Olynyk became the first Boston reserve to score 30 points in a regular-season game since Ricky Davis on April 1, 2005.

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Olynyk became the first Boston reserve to score 30 points in a regular-season game since Ricky Davis on April 1, 2005.

+1. KO should start now over Sully

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Kelly was a first team All American in college, and the sixers are a glorified college team. Of course he should dominate them. The problem is that he isn't athletic enough to consistently score, and defend, against real NBA talent, and a 30 pt outing against the sixers does nothing to dispel that notion.

Jared Sullinger was a two-time first-team All-American in college.  Does scoring 5 points on 2-10 shooting against a "glorified college team" mean that he sucks?

No, it means that he had a bad game. Obviously, Olynyk played great tonight, but he has consistently dominated scrubs throughout his career. Im not getting overly excited until I see him regularly perform on both ends of the court against high-end talent.

But what is that notion based on to start with? Yeah, right now he lacks strength for battling down low at the 5, but that's probably not his best position and he should get stronger with age anyway. He's actually pretty quick up and down the floor, and gets out to the 3 on D far better than, say, Sully does. Not that many big men can guard KO out to the 3 themselves, and KO is shooting not only over 40% from the 3, but over 50% overall--including a high percentage finishing at the basket. He's a smart player who is a very willing help defender.
good points. what has impressed me about olly, aside from his shooting, has been his ability to drive to the basket against other bigs. i don't think most nba bigs expect this and so far olly has taken advantage of this.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 12:07:25 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
KO has a very difficult toolset to defend. As a 7 footer, they have to put a big out to defend him.  Because he shoots the 3 with great accuracy, this forces the big to come out to 3 point territory to defend, where they are less comfortable, and also pulls the big away from the paint defensively. 

On top of that Kelly has drive and dish skills, he can either drive on the likely slower big, or when he attracts attention, pass to the open man.  When you add it all up, you have potential for a nightmare matchup.  Kelly actually cashed in those tools against the 76ers for 30 pts on 12 for 17 shooting with three 3 pointers.

I feel it is just a matter of time and confidence for Kelly to put it all together.  And luckily for him his offensive game is not predicated on blowing by players or outjumping them.  And there are not a lot of super athletic defensive 4/5s who can guard him out on the perimeter.

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
It means nothing. They were playing against one of the worst NBA teams ever constructed. KO is not the future of this team, in fact I doubt he even has a spot in any team's rotation besides ours or Philly's.

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
It means nothing. They were playing against one of the worst NBA teams ever constructed. KO is not the future of this team, in fact I doubt he even has a spot in any team's rotation besides ours or Philly's.

I think KO can be a legit backup for a good team. However, I agree with you. Nothing to be overreacting about. It's against THE WORST TEAM IN NBA HISTORY.

I do want to point out to, KO should TRY to play like this from now on. Since losing the starting gig to Zeller, he needs to play with a sense of urgency that he belongs back in the starting lineup and not on the bench. He may not give you another 30 pt game this season but if he can keep say something like 12 and 6 consistently, we may start looking at replacing Sully with KO on the starting lineup (maybe)

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Olynyk is shooting 51% from the field and 41% on threes this season.

I think there are a lot of teams who would like a seven footer who can do that.

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I think KO can be a legit backup for a good team. However, I agree with you. Nothing to be overreacting about. It's against THE WORST TEAM IN NBA HISTORY.

I do want to point out to, KO should TRY to play like this from now on. Since losing the starting gig to Zeller, he needs to play with a sense of urgency that he belongs back in the starting lineup and not on the bench. He may not give you another 30 pt game this season but if he can keep say something like 12 and 6 consistently, we may start looking at replacing Sully with KO on the starting lineup (maybe)

I agree. It may take him until next year to become consistent, but IMO KO is destined to be a starter on the next competitive Celtics team.

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 05:47:56 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
KO HAS ALREADY BEEN shooting 50% from the field and 40% from three even before the 76ers game.  He just cashed in his whole bag of tools against them to drop 30.  In fact this is one of the teams he torches the most.  Are the 76ers bad?  Yes.  And ypu're supposed to play well against the bad teams and he did just that.

Will he score 30 on every team?  No.  Can he score between 13-20 points against the rest of the NBA if he continues to improve and is given regular minutes and a defined role.  I don't see why not.

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I always knew he had the ability to drive into the lane but I've never seen him go for it this much. Will be impossible to guard if he keeps up diversifying his offensive arsenal like this.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Also playing some decent defense today against a very good player.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

With no regard for human life.

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

With no regard for human life.

+1

Who are those people sitting in front of the play? Wyc and execs?

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 09:56:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I always knew he had the ability to drive into the lane but I've never seen him go for it this much. Will be impossible to guard if he keeps up diversifying his offensive arsenal like this.

7 footer doing the things he can is very rare