37 (62.7%)
No need to trade for him now when we could sign him for free this offseason
11 (18.6%)
I don't want another non rim protecting big on the C's
3 (5.1%)
This is agent posturing and it will take more than a first to trade for him
4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)  (Read 14620 times)

Re: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Didnt want to make another thread but saw this

The Pistons reportedly wanted Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver in exchange for Greg Monroe.

Detriot news

So much for getting Monroe on the cheap. Not worth pursuing him until Free Agency then.
Yikes.

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

The Pistons reportedly wanted Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver in exchange for Greg Monroe.

Detriot news

Ainge-esque.

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Didn't see this tweet in the thread, but remember that Monroe also can veto any trade, and it seems he would do just that:

@JeffZillgitt

Teams calling Pistons about Greg Monroe get same answer: Monroe, who must approve trade, uninterested & wants to keep Bird rights, I'm told.

So he's uninterested in getting traded b/c bird rights or he'll deny trade to team he's uninterested in?
He's unintersted in relinquishing his Bird right.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Didn't see this tweet in the thread, but remember that Monroe also can veto any trade, and it seems he would do just that:

@JeffZillgitt

Teams calling Pistons about Greg Monroe get same answer: Monroe, who must approve trade, uninterested & wants to keep Bird rights, I'm told.

So he's uninterested in getting traded b/c bird rights or he'll deny trade to team he's uninterested in?

I think it's 100% about bird rights. If he retains them, he can orchestrate a S&T, and his field of potential suitors increases. He's played it smart so far, not making waves, not causing friction in the lockerroom, deferring to SVG.

The S+T is the best-case scenario, but the 2nd best is that the possibility of the Pistons being able to sign/S+T him for the Bird rights max provides leverage to help make it more likely another team offers him the non-Bird max. 

In other words, if he gives up his Bird rights he not only definitely loses out on that bigger ceiling contract, but even reduces the chances of getting the lower non-Bird max.

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Detriot news

Ainge-esque.

Here is a link that I found about that report if anyone is interested:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/17/report-pistons-asked-for-kyle-korver-and-jeff-teague-in-discussing-greg-monroe-trade-with-hawks/

That seems a lot more than I expected.  Maybe it is just posturing by the pistons?

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Detriot news

Ainge-esque.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/17/report-pistons-asked-for-kyle-korver-and-jeff-teague-in-discussing-greg-monroe-trade-with-hawks/

That seems a lot more than I expected.  Maybe it is just posturing by the pistons?

Could be.

In fairness though, if this was in the offseason it doesn't seem quite as outlandish. I think few would have foreseen (a) ATL's high level of play this year, and (b) Korver's resurgence in particular. Both of those things might be affecting how we view the trade as of today.

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Detriot news

Ainge-esque.

Could be.

In fairness though, if this was in the offseason it doesn't seem quite as outlandish. I think few would have foreseen (a) ATL's high level of play this year, and (b) Korver's resurgence in particular. Both of those things might be affecting how we view the trade as of today.
Not sure where you see a Korver resurgence. After the mega-hot start, he's pretty much reverted to the player that he's been for the majority of his career. In particular, his production right now is not materially different from his production last season.

Regardless, asking for 2 starters in their prime is a ridiculous demand by the Pistons. Monroe is probably worth one of those players in a one-for-one swap, at most.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Detriot news

Ainge-esque.

Could be.

Not sure where you see a Korver resurgence. After the mega-hot start, he's pretty much reverted to the player that he's been for the majority of his career. In particular, his production right now is not materially different from his production last season.

Regardless, asking for 2 starters in their prime is a ridiculous demand by the Pistons. Monroe is probably worth one of those players in a one-for-one swap, at most.

Korver's averaging a career high in:
3pt% (55%)
TS% (74%)
PER
WS/48
Ortg
AST/gm
FT%
3pt FG/gm

He's close to career highs in rebounds/gm and FTA/gm.

His current marks for 3 pt shooting and TS% would both break all-time records.

His performance last year was good, but that was arguably a career year and I think the safe money would have bet on some regression to the mean given that he's 33. In contrast, he's actually been significantly better so far this year.