37 (62.7%)
No need to trade for him now when we could sign him for free this offseason
11 (18.6%)
I don't want another non rim protecting big on the C's
3 (5.1%)
This is agent posturing and it will take more than a first to trade for him
4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)  (Read 14575 times)

Re: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I believe that a team signing Monroe loses his Bird rights, meaning that the most we can give him is 120% of his current salary.  His salary is around $5.5 million, so if we traded for him, we could sign him to a contract starting around $6.6 million next year.

That's not going to get it done.  Now, if we clear significant cap room, we don't have to rely upon an exception to sign him, and can just use cap space.  However, that's a possibility with or without a trade.

Okay, so does that mean in the event he gets traded the most he could start off making the first year FROM ANY TEAM is 120% of his current salary since he loses his bird rights?  If that is the case, I would GLADLY give a late first for him. If this is how it works, he's not really a flight risk if no other team can offer a higher salary for him.  The only issue would be opening the cap space to fit him in, which I think we could easily do.

This doesn't seem right, so could someone explain this in a little more detail?

Teams with sufficient cap space could offer him up to a max contract.  For Monroe, that would start at roughly $15 million (or a bit more) with annual raises.

The reason Bird rights are important is that they allow a team to exceed the salary cap to sign one of their own free agents.

Gotcha, thanks.

Re: Would You trade a First for Greg Monroe
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd give up a late first for him even without having Bird rights because there is almost no way a player drafted with that late first is anywhere near as good as Monroe.  If it really was just Bass and the Clippers pick for Monroe, I would do that in a heartbeat.  Monroe as starting center is a clear upgrade.  I also don't think we would get any one better in the cap space this summer than Monroe, so see no issue with signing him to a 4 year, 50-60 million dollar contract.

And, TP - I agree with this post. Giving up a late first isn't going to kill us and, as you said, that player will be lucky if he is even a rotation player. If we really like Monroe, we can find a way to clear Wallace's contract - somehow. Also, maybe we can convince Green to opt in (we were nice to him, maybe he will repay the favor). It benefits him to wait a year anyway when contracts are supposedly ready to explode.

If Green opts in, there's almost no way the C's can afford Monroe, even if Wallace is completely off the books.  Unless Rondo signs elsewhere.

If you want a team next year that includes Rondo, Green, and Monroe, the way to do it is wait until next summer, and then offer the Pistons the 1st and Wallace, who can be used (maybe combined with Faverani's non-guaranteed deal) to match Monroe's salary.  Getting and keeping Monroe costs you the 1st, Wallace on the books at $3.3 million per year through 2018, and Rondo or Green (or maybe Sullinger, Zeller, or Olynyk if you trade one of them to keep Rondo and Green).  No reason to give up the pick now for Monroe, when waiting until the summer offers you the ability to keep everyone you want to.

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Didn't see this tweet in the thread, but remember that Monroe also can veto any trade, and it seems he would do just that:

@JeffZillgitt

Teams calling Pistons about Greg Monroe get same answer: Monroe, who must approve trade, uninterested & wants to keep Bird rights, I'm told.

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Didn't see this tweet in the thread, but remember that Monroe also can veto any trade, and it seems he would do just that:

@JeffZillgitt

Teams calling Pistons about Greg Monroe get same answer: Monroe, who must approve trade, uninterested & wants to keep Bird rights, I'm told.

Was just about to post this quote

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 07:49:53 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
No brainer.
I'd give em clips and caves pick plus expiring contract.
He is instantly 1 or 1a as far as talent goes on c's.
He plays center
He runs the court.

IMO we have abetter chance to sigh  him this off season after half a year with
Rr and old friend jg.

IMO we have plenty of picks giving a few late first rounders for a young center with his skills is a no brainer.

So what if he is not a shot blocker.
We can use other assets to fill that need.

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 08:39:21 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

@JeffZillgitt

So he's uninterested in getting traded b/c bird rights or he'll deny trade to team he's uninterested in?

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

@JeffZillgitt

So he's uninterested in getting traded b/c bird rights or he'll deny trade to team he's uninterested in?

I think it's 100% about bird rights. If he retains them, he can orchestrate a S&T, and his field of potential suitors increases. He's played it smart so far, not making waves, not causing friction in the lockerroom, deferring to SVG.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 08:51:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So we are just going in circles with this thing. This totally contradicts the first report that he wants to be traded.

We all knew that it made sense for him to keep his Bird rights, but were only discussing this again because it said he wanted out. CB talks about Monroe a little too much.

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So we are just going in circles with this thing. This totally contradicts the first report that he wants to be traded.

We all knew that it made sense for him to keep his Bird rights, but were only discussing this again because it said he wanted out. CB talks about Monroe a little too much.

A lot like Rondo and the trade market. There really isn't much to say right now, it makes no sense for him to allow a trade.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2014, 12:25:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Giving up a late first isn't going to kill us

Said the Nets, Knicks, and Lakers.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 12:37:50 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I believe that a team signing Monroe loses his Bird rights, meaning that the most we can give him is 120% of his current salary.  His salary is around $5.5 million, so if we traded for him, we could sign him to a contract starting around $6.6 million next year.

That's not going to get it done.  Now, if we clear significant cap room, we don't have to rely upon an exception to sign him, and can just use cap space.  However, that's a possibility with or without a trade.

Okay, so does that mean in the event he gets traded the most he could start off making the first year FROM ANY TEAM is 120% of his current salary since he loses his bird rights?  If that is the case, I would GLADLY give a late first for him. If this is how it works, he's not really a flight risk if no other team can offer a higher salary for him.  The only issue would be opening the cap space to fit him in, which I think we could easily do.

This doesn't seem right, so could someone explain this in a little more detail?

Teams with sufficient cap space could offer him up to a max contract.  For Monroe, that would start at roughly $15 million (or a bit more) with annual raises.

The reason Bird rights are important is that they allow a team to exceed the salary cap to sign one of their own free agents.

For Monroe, the max is 25% of the cap.  The most recent projection I have heard is $66.3 million.  The number used to determine the max contract is actually a bit smaller, so a max contract for Monroe using projected revenue would start at $15.6 million and be around $66.6 million total.

Do you think a team like the Lakers or Knicks would be willing to throw that much money at him?  He might end up being the consolation prize that a team will sign with cap space that it cleared to go after Marc Gasol.  He might be the Carlos Boozer of next off-season, the guy who a team gives a big contract too after failing to land one of the top names available.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2014, 12:55:04 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Giving up a late first isn't going to kill us

Said the Nets, Knicks, and Lakers.

We've got a few more picks in the bank than those teams.

I don't see this team settling for a 5 year rebuild.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 01:05:40 AM »

Offline Mikedmx6

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
In order to continue the rebuild process we need to actually rebuild.  Why wouldn't you want to grab Monroe if it's a late first round pick that we have. Danny ainge is a good gm and if he made this trade it would be because he has a idea that he will be able to sign him to a contract. Comes down to believing in ainge and if Monroe is part of the plan then so be it. Would much rather Drummond but lol that ain't happening.   

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Didnt want to make another thread but saw this

The Pistons reportedly wanted Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver in exchange for Greg Monroe.

Detriot news

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Didnt want to make another thread but saw this

The Pistons reportedly wanted Jeff Teague and Kyle Korver in exchange for Greg Monroe.

Detriot news

So much for getting Monroe on the cheap. Not worth pursuing him until Free Agency then.